[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there worse human beings on this earth than car mechanics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 12
Are there worse human beings on this earth than car mechanics and car dealers?

Seriously, I'm having so much trouble finding my first car due to everyone always trying to fucking scam me.

Fuck! Maybe you guys can help me, maybe not...fuck.

I'm poor, please halp.
>>
Realtors are pretty terrible.

We have been getting cold calls (like 20 a day) for a week because we newly own our house in a good area.
>>
>>917665
>Realtors are pretty terrible.
Yeah I heard, you know why? They are desperate peeps.
>>
>>917662
there is an industry around this, but a lot of people don't even know about it. I think it's very strange.

They are called 'automobile locator services' or a 'car buying service'

Your bank or credit union might have someone they recommend. They will often pay the fees of the service if you get the loan with your bank.
>>
Advertisers are the worst.

Telemarketing advertisers are the +1 worst.
>>
You should find a small independent hillbilly mechanic and throw him some good money for the first couple of jobs and you will be set. If you go to dealerships or big chains you are going to get fucked in the ass since its their corporate policy.
>>
>>917662

>I'm such a cuck I let people push me around and hold my hand

Hey dumbass, why don't you tell them to fuck off and you'll get them when you're ready. If they don't listen to you then you don't say a word to them and go to the next lot. It isn't hard. The only "pressure" people feel is their own stupidity getting the best of them.

And judging by the fact that you made a post on an anonymous image board to complain about it, you're pretty stupid.
>>
>>917671
I did find a mechanic/dealer of the same ethnic background as me, but he is only selling cars with high mileage on them--which you can imagine is integral to his model

>Sell cheap prone to break cars
>They buy and they come back to get it fixed
>Rinse and repeat

Fuck it.
>>
>>917672
This is canuckistan, not murica.

We don't have such a super herculean economy of shitting out cars every 0.5 seconds.

Slim pickings up here.
>>
>>917675

If you spend enough money you can make any shitbox a good car, mine has 200,000 miles and its better than a lot of cars that are only 2-3 years old
>>
>>917677
Why would you need cars? Moose reproduce. Buy one and you're set for life
>>
>>917662
>I'm having so much trouble finding my first car due to everyone always trying to fucking scam me.

Buy a junker on craigslist you homo
>>
>>917662
1. always be willing to walk away. Even if the deal seems good

2. get 2nd and 3rd opinions.

3. research prospective cars: know their value, problem areas, etc.
>>
>>917675
More likely he convinces his customers to sell him the cars cheap.

>comes in with something wrong with it, convinces the customer the car isnt worth the price of repairs
>buys it for pennies on the dollar, fixes the car for cheap and resells it

I have a friend who buys cars with bad head gaskets for 2-300$, fixes them and flips them for a lot more.
>>
>>917677
If its canada, your obvious choice is to just buy a 4 wheel drive 1995 F150. Cant be that hard to find.
>>
>>917693

This, you first car is always going to be a scrapheap since you will wreck it by not knowing how to drive or maintain it anyway
>>
worst people are car casuals aka the cuastomer
they just dont understand

>first car
>im poor

you sound like the worst fucking kind of car
casual customer

> i have no money or experience but expect everything

"what do you mean my car needs regular service?"
"$2000!?!? Thats bullshit! 10 years ive had this car, ive never had to replace anything! "

"but my tires say all season!"

"can i just show up any time of the day without making an appointment? I expect you to check my car for free, i also expect not to have to wait."

"b-but my car passed the e-test 2 years ago"

Mechanics are worst? hardly. Customers are the biggest fucking faggots ever.

>>917677
yes we do faggot.
the government also promotes car scrapping programs (retire your ride) that only benefit the auto manufacturers . thus reducing the amount of quality used vehicles in the market.
>>
>>917702
>the government also promotes car scrapping programs (retire your ride) that only benefit the auto manufacturers . thus reducing the amount of quality used vehicles in the market.

Cash for Clunkers in the USA really hurt the used car market here too. Luckily it was only a one time deal and the market is coming back slowly.

Unlucky me, I was literally looking for my first car a few months after the program ended.

All the cheap small Hondas and Toyotas that got good gas mileage had been bought up. And at the same time all the old trucks that got bad gas mileage were getting junked.

Was tough, it doubled the price of almost every used car in that cheap price range
>>
>>917702
You're a piece of garbage--keep trying to suck blood out of your customers you fucken leech.
>>
>>917707
it did exactly that. it wiped out cars in the $500 range under the guise of "doin it for the environment" because "cars of that era poloute x times worse. when in reality those programs were only to inject business into "the big 3" right after the "financial recession"

scrapped an insane amount of still good cars. destroying the engines, and not allowing them to be re-used for parts. wayyyy more environmentally friendly to make whole new parts in china then to reuse old parts

>>917712
keep on casualin'
next time you do a tire change, put grease on your wheel nuts , so they dont corrode and are easier to remove
>>
>>917702
>Implying car salesmen aren't just trying to make a very high sale and screw the customer in any way possible for muh commission.

>Implying dealership mechanics aren't extremely overpriced.

I went in for an oil change and checkup at a dealership after I had purchased a used car (not from them btw). Oil change was $75 and the service writer wanted to charge me $1600 to replace disc pads, drum shoes, and a rear license plate bulb. Just pads mind you, not the rotor or drums.

From the stories I've heard, I was pretty lucky.

Quit being butthurt and go get a job that doesn't involve screwing people over.
Yes customers can be fucking stupid but that comes with ANY customer service job.
>>
File: 1448826572556s.jpg (23 KB, 250x241) Image search: [Google]
1448826572556s.jpg
23 KB, 250x241
>>917740

>posts on /diy/ board
>pays 75 dollarydoos for a fucking oilchange
>>
>>917662
The worst thing about being a mechanic is dealing with people. Keeping a car on the road can be expensive, don't complain to us when it costs x amount of money to maintain it. We aren't charities, if you can't afford to buy something decent and keep it road worthy buy a bicycle.
>>
>>917702
Angry mechanic that's sick of customers bullshit, are you me?
>>
>>917662
sorry anon. you're not part of my community so helping you doesn't help me.
>>
>>917740
I had the dealer do an oil change because they had to replace my ECM and a timing belt.

They used the wrong size oil filter and over filled the engine despite having a filter twice the size of the normal one. They purposely destroyed the oil pressure sensor so I wouldn't notice. This over pressurized the engine and blew out the seals so it constantly leaked oil.

Went to a different dealer for a Volvo. Needed special Volvo brake fluid because it costs like $50 to order a quart online and I only needed a couple mL. They overfilled the brake fluid to the top of the reservoir so THAT was overpressurized. Now my master cylinder has a very slow leak in it from their test drive, luckily I didn't go far before I checked their work. It was so pressurized it sprayed fluid all over the engine compartment and then it was still at the top of the reservoir.

fuck dealers. They are criminals.
>>
>>917745
I usually change my own oil, the reason I didn't that time is because Toyota does a free inspection on the vehicle with the oil change. Which from what I've been told is usually pretty good if you know what is upsell BS and what isn't.

That and I had just turned 16 and it was my first car.
>>
>>917785
>Toyota does a free inspection on the vehicle with the oil change

Are you telling us you went to a main dealer? And you're bitching about the cost?

What in the fuck did you expect?!
>>
>>917780
>trusting any stealership

While I have never and will never use a mechanic, but my next door neighbor does mechanic work for dirt cheap.

I would trust him with any of my cars honestly, and he is a quarter of the price of a cornershop mechanic or a dealership.
Im sure they are everywhere, just gotta look.

He is a drunk, he beats his wife, his two sons are in prison, but he isnt going to fuck anyone over and he is going to do some of the real hard and dirty work that some regular mechanics wouldnt do.
>>
i had an oil change place tell me he didnt have the proper wrench to replace the oil filter on my bosses lexus suv. found out he didnt want to take off the skid plate that protected the underside of the motor area.

fucking lerch
>>
>>917788
I guess it takes a special kind of person to be an honest mechanic.
>>
Fixing cars now days is basically metal Lego.

If your not a chuck and have a few hairs on your chest you won't pay some jackoff to fix your shit

Be a man OP and maybe mechanics won't fuck you like a bitch you are

>tfw captcha is taxis
>>
>>917785

>a free inspection

This is where they get you to pay 500 on shit that is fine. All these chains are being run from an office by business degree sociopaths who are out to fuck your asshole as hard as possible.

I have a good mechanic, my dad went to his dad to get stuff fixed. I'm a real perfectionist with my shitheap and this guy actually tells me when to calm down and not worry about what seems like an urgent repair, they do exist but you wont find them in a big chain type of place, you will only find assrape and pain there.
>>
>>917780
As a mechanic is find this post to be hard to believe. I've never seen a burst master cylinder due to an overfilled reservoir, we use pressurised bleeders to fill the reservoir when carrying out a fluid change surely this would damage the cylinder every time if your post is to be believed. As for special brake fluid? No they don't.
>>
>>917820
I meant power steering fluid, my mistake. And It was absolutely $40 for the smallest bottle I could find online and no local auto parts store carried it. I'm sorry you think you lived part of my life for me. Obviously some shit is rated for a certain pressure and if you overfill the reservoir it's going to overpressure the whole part of the system not designed to be under high pressure.
>>
>>917787
see >>917785
>That and I had just turned 16 and it was my first car.

Not everyone has someone to teach them how to work on vehicles. I had to learn these things by myself. I knew I was getting ripped off on the oil change, that was expected. I didn't know how to change my oil at the time, and every other shop in the area wanted you to pay 60~80 for an oil change too.

Getting ripped off is one thing, having your intelligence insulted by some fuckboi with a clipboard is what I didn't expect.

The guy wanted 200 per wheel, plus 400 for parts, 50 for the bulb, and 350 for misc. other things.

If I remember correctly he also quoted me 150 for the air filter. When I said no to the quote the arrogant prick threatened to report my vehicle as "unsafe". I told him to fuck off.
I was stupid, but not THAT stupid.

I was smart enough to know an oil change was a ripoff, but to inexperienced to see the fuckery that came.
>>
>>917827
That's fair enough. Power steering fluid can be vehicle specific, I'm just sick of the bullshit people spread about mechanics. I find posts like yours hard to believe as I can't imagine anybody would break the oil pressure switch to hide the fact they put on the wrong filter. Sometimes the manufacturer will rationalise part numbers for filters and remove some from sale giving you a cross reference to a filter that may be bigger or smaller. The filter size wouldn't affect anything, only over filling the sump would cause problems.
>>
>>917830

>paying some guy $150 for a 10 second job in pulling out your air filter and vacuuming it

Well I'm glad you learned your lesson but I fear for the continued existance of the human race
>>
>>917833
I only paid for the oil change, told the guy to stay the fuck away from my car (he actually threatened to remove my inspection sticker, which I knew was illegal) and left.

Like I said, I was dumb, but not that dumb.
I actually do almost all of my work now, everything from fluids to replacing axles and deep engine parts. The things I won't do (SRS work for example) I have my friend who is a ASE master mechanic do.

But I do agree, I fear as well.
They only pull that shit because they have before and it worked on someone.
>>
>>917838

It only needs to work on one person out of ten. These kinds of people are pure shit.
>>
Everything is a slippery slope.

Whether the customer is adamant and cheap, or the mechanic is ripping people off.

On one hand, if a mechanic is telling you to replace something that is worn "but you can go a little while longer", the customer can and will wait until something else completely breaks.
It hits a point that the customer has refused all preventative maintenance, because of the idea that the parts arent completely worn and broken.
Then they come in, and its important for a bunch of stuff to be replaced all at once, making for an expensive bill and the inevitable "you are ripping me off".

I can see where a mechanic would push hard for something slightly worn to be replaced, obviously for the sale but also to get the customer coming in getting stuff replaced before it becomes a huge pile of problems. Remember, bad parts can break other parts too.

Yes, there are some real shit mechanics that charge you for work they dont do, and want to replace things that arent broke.

But in many cases, people who are solely dependent on mechanics for work dont fully understand actual preventative maintenance.
There is a reason you dont see mechanics towing their personal cars home.

Just find a honest mechanic, and remember that owning a car is not necessarily a cheap venture.
>>
>>917831
Nope. They absolutely broke the oil pressure sensor. I took it off a couple years later trying to get the oil pan down because W bodied 80s GM is bitch and I was trying to get an extra inch of clearance...

Took it off, and one of the pins for the sensor was folded over to contact the chassis. I never thought about it, I blamed the ECM, but it made sense. Driving it before the maintenance, my oil pressure would rise and fall normally. After the maintenance it was always 100% which I didn't think much of because that wasn't in the red on this model, so I figured this was actually the normal mode of this car, when what I had before wasn't... Nope. They totally jacked my switch so it would show max pressure.
>>
>>917662
you're not having trouble finding your first car, you're a derpy little shit that doesn't know how the automobile industry works. sorry kid, you're not going to get that dream car for your weekly allowance.
>>
>mfw bought $1k car
>spend ~200 fixing/servicing the car
>lasts for 4 years with small maintenance in between (oil/filter/etc)
Still werking with 200k miles on it
>>
>>917842
Which engine was it?
>>
>>917844

Late 90's Toyota?
>>
>>917789
oil change places are supposed to carry out quick work. they can't have your bosses lexus in the shop blocking business. sure, they lost you business, but they were able to keep the business of the other people waiting.

cost vs reward. your boss's lexus wasn't worth it.
>>
>>917844
>bought 1997 nissan altima for 600$
>came with 210k miles
>put maybe 500$ into it
>now at over 270k

My parents house and my old friends 300 miles away, girlfriend moved from my university to another one 250 miles away. My military friend lives 900 miles away.

Ive done a retarded amount of driving the last 2 years just hanging out on weekends and vacations and stuff.
Sure, the car is falling apart at the seams, it still just runs. Its on its death bed
>>
>>917665
...why would a realtor being calling you in that situation?
>>
>Work as a teacher in a highschool with an autoshop
>Get my tires changed & balanced by students
>Have my brakes inspected and changed by students
>Oil changes all around

The only charge is parts, like pads and filters and oil.

It's all in the curriculum, and the shop teacher visually oversees and inspects all work done.

Pretty sweet deal.
>>
>>917849
Because he wants to sell my house. Cold calling me to sell my house. That's just what they do in this market I guess because it's so competitive.
>>
>>917851
But, couldn't you call him and say you like living in your house and to stop calling?
>>
>>917845
1988 Cutlass Supreme with a V6.
>>
>>917852
Yes. But there's like 400 different agents calling from all around the city because they are vultures and horrible people and they are all cold calling me. It's like a camhore and got doxed on /b or something.
>>
>>917855
But you just bought the house. WHy would they think you want to sell it?
>>
>>917856
I didn't just buy it. I just paid it off in full so they think I'm an old person and they want to sell it for me or setup a reverse mortgage so I can go retire to florida.
>>
>>917859
>reverse mortgage

That shit always spooked me

I mean, if you're an old dude with no living family members, whatever, but I can only imagine what would happen if you died and your family had to decide whether or not to buy back your share in your home or just cash out whatever value is left in it.
>>
File: 25390277.jpg (75 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
25390277.jpg
75 KB, 400x300
>>917780
>They used the wrong size oil filter and over filled the engine despite having a filter twice the size of the normal one. They purposely destroyed the oil pressure sensor so I wouldn't notice. This over pressurized the engine and blew out the seals so it constantly leaked oil.

Went to a different dealer for a Volvo. Needed special Volvo brake fluid because it costs like $50 to order a quart online and I only needed a couple mL. They overfilled the brake fluid to the top of the reservoir so THAT was overpressurized. Now my master cylinder has a very slow leak in it from their test drive, luckily I didn't go far before I checked their work. It was so pressurized it sprayed fluid all over the engine compartment and then it was still at the top of the reservoir.

Wat.. No, that makes no sense whatsoever. Overfilling the engine with oil will not cause an overpressure condition, and the sensor just fires the idiot light or gauge.

And "special" brake fluid? In a reasonably modern car? Outside of silicone based fluids used in military vehicles, "lol whut?".. Again "overpressurized". An overfilled master just leaks. It does not blow all over the place.

What may have happened, and what you think/claim happened are not even in the same physical universe at this point.
>>
>>917740
you are a fucking tool for going to any dealership. simple as that.

mechanics dont have to "screw over" anyone, or even lie for that matter
because, guess what? your car is a fucking shit pile.
Know why? because you are a fucking tool who bitches like crazy every time someone suggest service.
>>917785
are you fucking dense? "free inspection" ?
do you even know what that means?
first off nothing is free. this is real life.
"free inspection" means 2 things
checking for liability reasons
checking to increase sales aka "we found something wrong , shall we fix it now? "

>>917793
mechanics are honest. because honestly? I dont give a fuck if you fix your shit retard rust mobile with the aftermarket stereo /alarm (fuck aftermarket faggots)
I care about liability
and
i care about doing the job properly (no come backs)

I dont do the fucking estimate, or the pricing.

I turn wrenches and write down why our car is shit.

"why replace the wheel bearing when i can just turn up the stereo louder?"
thats fine, just sign here that i told the wheel will fall off.

>>917753
>Angry mechanic that's sick of customers bullshit, are you me?
tell me about it, this whole thread amirite?
>>
>>917780
my work truck gets its oil changed by the dealership monthly (I don't own the truck so whatever the company wants to do with it Idgaf since it's their money) get back home... oil leaking like crazy... find they did a 40 point inspection and somehow missed the critical part of putting the fucking oil cap back on the goddamn engine.... idiots, the lot of them..
>>
>>917881
Whoa, calm down there master autismo.

I complained about dealership service writers and pricing, never the quality of work done.

Notice how I said the pricing on the break job was stupidly expensive, not that it didn't need to be done.

I have serviced my own vehicle since to the manufacturer recommended service plan for special use conditions. I have followed this to a T.

Also, unless the mechanic is as bad at their job as you are, replacing break pads, and a light bulb shouldn't cost ANYWHERE near 1600.
Obviously anyone who has as hard a time of fucking reading a post as you would have a hard time figuring which way to put in a set of break pads.

The fact that you're so butthurt over this implies that you yourself screw people over all the time on prices.

Obviously this job isn't for you.
>>
>>917849
because you just proved that you can handle a mortgage since you just payed it off.. so the obvious buyfag thing to do would be sell your current house and get a bigger one with a mortgage...
>>
>>917852
here's a fun experiment... go google realtor websites.... find 4... most will ask for a name, phone #, and email address... sign up for a few... see just how many months it takes before you stop getting calls from hungry realtors....
>bonus sharktank round... do the above but with mortgage lending sites.... holy shit...
>>
>>917859
>2016 - a few days....
>not immediately selling your house in order to pay for part of a larger house
>jesus anon.. whats wrong with you?
>it's almost like you don't care about big banking....
>>
>>917788
your negibour is a cunt.
when your tire falls off, and you swerve into the other lane and kill someone, his uninsured, unlicensed shop will not be paying any fines that for sure.

>>917780
you know how do do an oil change right? yeah, so does every one else. its easier to take oil out, then to find a fucking pressure sensor. i find this post hard to believe.

>different powersteering fluid.
guess what? your faggot cuckold mobile takes fucking CHF bullshit fluid like it thinks its a german car. deal with it.

>>917789
thats because lexuses/yotas, have a special faggot spring retaining clip on their cartridge oil filter cap. The normal cartridge "sockets" will not fit because of this. They use the same socket, but thinner so it holds the spring open,

>>917830
>I was smart enough to know an oil change was a ripoff

> THEY WOULD ONLY TRY TO FUCK ME ONCE RIGHT!?

you let the whole situation happen. it was never gonna happen any other way. You saw it happening. you let it happen. and now you have a hate on for mechanics. never come to my shop, shit customer.

>>917838
no, you are that dumb. you still went there. you still let a shady asshole work on your car

>>917842
one pin is grounded to chassis.
sounds way harder to break your shit then to drop a little oil just sayin

>>917879
>over filling

maybe if they put like, and extra 4 litres in it it might fuck shit up,
but do do an oil change
you would notice something is wrong after like, the 7th litre
something like, why the fuck is this oil change taking so long.

I dont buy it either.

fix your own fucking car then, or shut the fuck up
i bet you people buy your parts online to and bring them to the mechanic to use.

>use the parts I bought online
they are wrong and wont work on this model year/engine size

>you did my breaks 6 months ago and these $1 alibaba chinese asbestos brake pads/rotors are cooked now
>what do you mean no warranty from my own china shit parts?
>>
>>917881
yea fuck off buddy.
>>
>>917879
You conflated a story about the oil filter with a 1988 Olds and a 2004 Volvo, and I did misreport, it was the power steering, not the brake fluid.

You did remind me of another scum story.
>Tire monkies at tire store
"Yeah uh, you should get these shocks replaced bub."
"O rly, why's that." (I know they are fine, and actually the best warrantied part on the car)
"They're uh. dirty. yeah look at how dirty these are."
XC90 shocks have no routine replacement schedule, and are for the 'lifetime of the car' if you ask the dealer so a minimum of 100k miles.
Replacement XC 90 shocks are $100-$200 each.

"They're dirty"
>>
>>917897
Can we start putting mechanics into concentration camps already?
>>
>>917894
>you know how do do an oil change right? yeah, so does every one else. its easier to take oil out, then to find a fucking pressure sensor. i find this post hard to believe.
They 'included' it as part of timing belt and ECM replacement they wouldn't not do it.

On this car to fuck with the sensor all they did was to undo the bolt that holds the oil filter housing on, pop off the harness and fuck the pin. They weren't just dropping some oil, as has been said. You are drunk or something and conflating almost every story in this thread. You're that HVAC faggot aren't you? Go to bed hvac faggot.
>>
>>917894

>when your tire falls off, and you swerve into the other lane and kill someone, his uninsured, unlicensed shop will not be paying any fines that for sure.

Different poster but I know for a fact that white trash alcoholic son of a bitch would do a far better job than some fagget so-called "master tech" who needs a new tampon because the car he is working on has dirt on the underside
>>
>>917885
>screw people over on time

thats now how auto works baby boy.

shit is billed hourly, but its a preset amount for every job. if it takes me and hour for your oil change, my boss can still only ever charge .3 hours. and i never do an oilchange + 40pt inspection in under an hour, but i also dont give a fuck about production.
and, yeah that price is at least$1000 more than it should be give or take,

but, guess what? when an a $40 oil change is $35 more($75) than it should be, how did you not see that comming? you went to
THE DEALER! where you will get fucked every time. so im not suprised and i dont care.
i love when people complain about getting fucked by the dealer. you brought it on your self.

>follow service scheduled to the t

no wonder you go to the dealership
>Obviously this job isn't for you
lol
im not a fucking mechanic, i get paid more than minimum wage. not hvac either

if you faggots want to shit talk real mechanics go to /o/.

the people in this thread are so fucking /diy/

>I DONT GIVE A FUCK IF SOMEONE DOES >THIS FOR A LIVING
>EVERY DAY
>ALL DAY
>FOR EVER
>WHAT THE FUCK DO THEY KNOW?
>I CHANGE MY OWN TIRES TWICE A >YEAR

yeah,
mechanics brake thing on purpose
fuck people all day
lie about replacing parts
up sell women and the elderly

oh /diy/ anons, you casuals are soo much smarter than us, that one time you flushed your coolant, you make us look like fools with your efficiency. the way you use the proper tools gets me hard
you dont even need experience, why would you when you can just look it up on line.

ITT : WORST FUCKING CUSTOMERS
>>
>>917903
good man, i dont give a fuck. get your shit done from him

enjoy your 100% liability. he doesnt need to use shit like torque specs

who cars if he cant bill your shit as warranty and get the parts supplier to pay for your repairs

you are way to smart for that

what? your drunk asshole negibour didnt know that the 7th spark plug in your v8 trition engine was gonna break? and he doesnt know how to take it out? but i need my vehicheal back. its just a spark plug,
if a regular wrench monkey can do it,
i can DIY it!

fuckign desk jokey casuals
go home and be a family man
>>
>>917881
Most people tend to feel the mechanics are screwing you over. Largely everyone is trying to screw everyone, but when I bring my car in I listen to the experts to get my shit fixed. Had my left rear wheel bearing replaced. The mechanic said he had to beat it off. They also found an issue with the steering and I had them fix that as well. I could have taken the approach they were trying to screw me but they are trustworthy guys so I went ahead with all their recommendations. I don't want my vehicle to be one of the ones on the side of the road. Now if only I can get the dealer to fix my recall. It has been more than 6 months and they just dgaf and can't seem to get the parts.
>>
>>917908

nigga u drunk
>>
>>917894
>16
>never had help or experience with cars

I don't hate on mechanics. I hate on shops and chains, since it has been shown that a good part of the time they will fuck you over for more money. Typically a mechanic who runs his own shop, or works alongside the owner in said shop on occasion is reasonable and always does a good job.

The amount of butthurt coming from you tells me you're not anywhere close to being a master mechanic but want to be. If you were one, you would know that the shit customers usually don't come back, and the ones who aren't completely retarded do. It also tells me you're new to customer service. And it sounds like you're about only 3-4 years older than I was when I went to that dealership.

You saying you don't write the prices tells me you work for a shop, or a chain. It's not your shop, so there's a high likelihood you'll never see me there.

If shops didn't charge so fucking much for simple work, or sometimes straight up lie to people, they and their mechanics wouldn't get such a bad rep.

>no, you are that dumb. you still went there.

Stupid enough to go to a dealership with no previous experience =/= stupid enough to get charged 1600 for mundane work.

If someone who knows when they're getting ripped off is a shit customer to you, no wonder you're so butthurt about people calling you kind out.

>>917905
I actually do the maintenance myself now that I've had that experience. Sorry you couldn't get that, It's hard to remember some people are mongs.

$35 more =/= $1100 more. Especially to a teenager.
are you telling me that you were as experienced as a 40 y/o when you were 16?

>lol
>im not a fucking mechanic

Your defensiveness proves otherwise.

So a service writer huh?
Management?
No wonder you're so defensive about this.
>>
>>917894
>when your tire falls off, and you swerve into the other lane and kill someone, his uninsured, unlicensed shop will not be paying any fines that for sure.

>>917908
>enjoy your 100% liability. he doesnt need to use shit like torque specs

Oh god, its the "You MUST use a torque wrench on your lug nuts" guy at it again.
>>
File: 1449200162181.gif (2 MB, 400x268) Image search: [Google]
1449200162181.gif
2 MB, 400x268
>>917905
>if you faggots want to shit talk real mechanics go to /o/.

Your whole post is invalidated, /o/ is filled with retards who dont know shit.

Just because you took a course at a community college and got a job at a shop from someone you knew at your church, doesnt mean that working on your own car is some sort of unattainable skill.

I understand its your livelihood and it feels bad for people to belittle your profession. But it really isnt that hard or special, and there is a reason YOU invested your life in it.
High school drop out maybe?
>>
1. employment recruiters
2. realtors
3. mechanics
4. army recruitors
>>
>>917921

rekt
>>
I've had more dealings with realtors, and I think they're pretty awful people.

But with all this car talk, I have a vacant oil change in Pontiac MI, if any anons need to put on snow tires/wrench a bit I could open it up.
>>
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 197x256) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8 KB, 197x256
>>917913
you still dont seem to understand how labor pricing works.
Thats ok. i didnt expect you to.

but, fact is. you went to get a $75 oil change ($40 is avarage, paying almost 50% more than avarage)
with some math, that puts the labor rate of the dealership at $250 an hour ($75/.3 hours labor=250 an hour)
so you have no problem over paying for little things but not large things

>>917921
again, im not a mechanic
i dont work in a shop
i dont work with cars
i dont know what /o/ is like
because cars, and more so car people,
I fucking hate.
If i could take the train every day i would.
>>
>>917932
well see funny thing is

>set of pads cost maybe $50 at the most.
>four sets of pads = $200
>bulb cost $5
>1600-205= 1395
>1395/250= 5.58 hours

I can do all of my pads and my bulb in less than an hour. A professional mechanic should not take ~5.6.

If you don't work in a shop, then why do you complain about customers coming into a shop?
Why did you tell me not to come to your specific shop?

Anon here is grasping for straws to not look like a dropout.
>>
>>917935
>OEM pads x2 (60% more than aftermarket)
>OEM bulb (60%)
>x.x hours labor for pads (see flat rate)
>x.x hours labor for bulb (you will be charged labor for the bulb)
>what ever other dealer bullshit
>thinks dealerships are meant to be competitive
>>
>>917962
Actually $200 is easily >60% above aftermarket, Considering I can do all four myself for $80 easy.
60% of 5 is $3. Wow, a whole $7, man that totally made a difference. Installing the bulb could have only realistically been gouged to 30 minutes

This still does not justify their price gouging.
This is still not comparable to the oil change.
This also does not change the fact that the average charge for my area, as I have said, is $75 for an oil change.
A 67% over charge on an oil change =/= a 220% overcharge on a brake job, since the average brake job for all four wheels would be $500.

So no, taking the oil change was not as stupid as taking the brake job would have been.

Stop trying to convince us you work in a business economics job by spurting random numbers and percentages without actually doing the math.

Go put someones oil plug in with an impact like most shops do.
>>
>>917894
>his uninsured, unlicensed shop will not be paying any fines that for sure.
You sure homed in on the bit that's important there.
>>
>>917972
Yeah its important, till you realize that you have to drag shops to court as most will tell you to fuck yourself when a problem arises. And if you DO get into a legal problem where someone gets killed prepare yourself for a lengthy and expensive court battle. The insurance is for the shop, not to protect you.

Dont delude yourself.

/r/WTF/comments/3xliuu/someone_forgot_the_wheel_nuts/cy5zmbp

Also, a shop that goes through a ton of cars a day is much more likely to forget to tighten your lugnuts than your local hometown mechanic that works on 6 cars a month.
>>
>>917972
Unlicensed amateur mechanics are good for easy jobs and can save you tons of money.
>>
I want HVAC guy to go.
Shouldn't you be drinking Schlitz and beating your wife?
>>
There are worse people out there. Like paranoid pseudosmart piece of shit costumers.(Oh i tricked the system. Superglue in my fuel makes it run a gazillion mpg. Wait what! You worked on it 3 years ago now this happens its your fault!)
>>
File: ht_costumes_banner.png (258 KB, 753x267) Image search: [Google]
ht_costumes_banner.png
258 KB, 753x267
>>918016
>. Like paranoid pseudosmart piece of shit costumers

This, they look ridiculous!
I hear they even have comic book conventions and stuff.
>>
>>917662
When you get your car, the first thing you should do is change your oil. Check all the other fluids while you're at it. Then jack the car up, one corner at a time if you gotta, and make sure the connecting hardware (tie rods, wheel bearings, etc.) are good. The next time you go to the car parts place, pick up a Chilton's manual for your vehicle. Fuck going to a mechanic, Chilton's will tell you exactly how to do any-fucking-thing with your car.

I expected better from /diy/.
>>
>>918021
To be fair, he hasnt bought a car yet.

And instead of it being a "how to find a first car" thread, it got derailed by a single person who is "obviously not a mechanic" dick sucking greasemonkeys who fuck people over on a day to day basis.
>>
>>918023
Fair enough. As far as "how to find a first car," really anything that runs/drives/stops with no major engine/transmission issues will do the trick. From that point forward, OP can refer to my other post >>918021 to deal with the inevitable maintenance things that must be done with any automobile.
>>
>>917665
Isn't that illegal? I'd report every single call and company to the fcc
>>
>>917745
That's a pretty good price. In Australia, oil costs 40$, a filter costs 7$, then he's only getting 28$ just to keep the lights on and dispose of the rubbish.
>>
>>917737
>it did exactly that. it wiped out cars in the $500 range under the guise of "doin it for the environment" because "cars of that era poloute x times worse. when in reality those programs were only to inject business into "the big 3" right after the "financial recession"

There were requirements. You couldn't scrap an old 4 cylinder Honda because it was too fuel efficient.

Yes the program was to promote auto sales, and they had to be efficient vehicles. You had to upgrade.

It may have made it harder for 16 year olds to buy a junker, but the benefits were great for people who got in on it.
>>
>>918113

>fuck everybody and everything as long as I get mine

boomers, everyone
>>
>>917901
>HVAC faggot
LOL I miss HVAC faggot. O HVAC faggot, where art thou?
>>
>>917662
I just spent a grand on a new exhaust system.
Went back to my moms mechanic after to gets my fuel system replaced, and he tells me it's not even worth it, just scrap the car. He's disappointed but not surprised the other mechanic did the work without warning me.

Scrap yard offered me 75 bucks for the car, so I guess i'll cut the new exhaust down and sell it on craigslist myself....
>>
>>918138
He got shitposted into oblivion just like Mr. X.
>>
>>917662
hey my dad is a mechanic and he doesn't scam people you fucking faggot
>>
>>917788
>>917881
I dont go to mechanics for the simple reason that ive never met, even an auto electrician, that can troubleshoot electrical problems. Most mechanics here even charge 50$ just to read codes. The absolute first thing that should be done before a service is to check codes. Spin that fucking wheel of fortune and replace a random part why dont you? My neighbour took their car to three different mechqnics who each replaced random parts, even a ford dealership then told him that his xr6 had a fucked transmission and motor. The throttle body was dirty and it was fly by wire. Threw an error code that disabled the reverse gear and put it into limp mode, fuel cutting above 40kmh
>>
File: hot-guy sumptuous.jpg (23 KB, 450x225) Image search: [Google]
hot-guy sumptuous.jpg
23 KB, 450x225
>>918138
>faggot, where art thou?
Right here love.
>>
File: Try not to droolllll.jpg (111 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
Try not to droolllll.jpg
111 KB, 540x540
>>918164
No he did not.
>>
>>917662
Where do you live op? The best way to find a car is to search on auto trader or something and get an idea of what you want and what the median price is. I started putting some ridiculous search parameters and actually ended up getting an insane deal after a car wreck. I got 2012 Honda Accord with 25k miles on it for 15,000. Dealerships were trying to sell me 2007 (The model that got wrecked) with 80k miles for the same price.
>>
>>918182
>>918338
i was a mechanic for a few years and some time as a service writer , even had extra training. the job ,itself , was bearable. but what made it absolute shit was that my fellow workers and customers.

the old guys were unwilling to learn and understand electrical so i always ended up with the shit they couldn't fix.
then there's companies like Chrysler/Fiat that ban the use of backprobing which pretty much just encourages idiot mechanics to throw parts at cars.

customers would come in talking about how 'their uncle could do x for 1/5th the price' but they never just got their uncle to do it instead.
or the people who just read an article online about how 'mechanics are a ripoff'. but don't realize autoservice is a full-time occupation and not a summer job
when costumers complain about rates, i tell them '200 dollars in tools and reading a few automotive books will save most garage visits', but they don't even consider that option.

i quit 3 months ago and moved back into my moms house temporarily
/rant
tl;dr i hope the autoservice industry collapses or stagnates so people have to learn to fix their own cars
>>
Im a beginning driver. I have a 1994 Ford f-250. So far its needed a u-joint, couple starters (diesel), and an alternator. I keep checking fluids, and when my truck needs a part, i buy it online and get the mechanic to replace it. The parts cost in Canada is so high, its ~60% cheaper to buy from the states and ship it. Those that say i might buy thr wrong parts on here are wrong. If you know your vehicle information and the right part number, you won't get the wrong part

It takes common sence. On a side note; I like mechanics. A majority of them are nice when you arent a dick.
>>
Car repair is a service industry job, and therefore is on the same level as being a waiter, valet, and/or prostitute. It typically is low paid because customers don't want to be charged a lot and therefore doesn't attract high quality workers. Usually they are the scum of society who have no better options. They know this which is why they continue to rip people off, simply because it's the only time in their miserable lives where they can feel big, but also because they can and some people are just that gullible. That said some shops are actually good and have high quality mechanics, but they tend to cost more.
>>
>>918389
>I like mechanics. A majority of them are nice when you arent a dick.
Ah, so mechanics suffer from pretty princess syndrome?
>>
>>918420
nah, they just have an asshole tax, of which i feel you are likely well aquanted
>>
>>917662
Not really, no. You need to find a single guy you can trust or already know and stick with them. But it really depends who specifically you deal with in big shops. Some are great and want you to be happy, but now most have a persecution complex.
>I found a mormon guy, I usually force him to accept more money.
Got a laundry list of bad mechanic stories. Ranging from one dealership (Randall Noe in Terrell TX) refusing to do a list of recalls unless I paid them to replace my like new tires first, to a (now closed shop) giving me a "$3k torque converter replacement" estimate actually being a $50 electrical short fix by said Mormon. First time I used him, and last time I've looked for a mechanic.
Nigga even picks it up from my house, tows it back when he's done, sends me a Christmas card, and thanks me for my business. I will use him for anything I can't do/figure out until one of us dies.

But whats worse? The quicky tire/lube shops. I have to take my work truck to those places as told by GE, and they can't upsell to me, as I just hand them a card with a number on it, but I see them abusing the fuck out of women and younger teens.
Worst thing I saw was the NTB on 75 in Dallas told a lady in a BMW that she needed her battery terminals cleaned, but since it was a foreign car, it would unfortunately be $150, and if she didn't get this service, her new battery may just stop working while she is driving and cause her to wreck. She paid the money and he/they took it.
>>
>>918490
Lel, another 2$ electrical fault with a multi kilobuck random part swap.

I've been working on my dads Camry. The auto electrician replaced the alternator and starter motor for more than a kilodollaridoo. I just replaced the fuel pump and it works now. Motherfucking bullshit mechanics, muh carby, efi is shit lelelelel. If the shit heads understood how it works instead of thinking everything can be fixed by just pouring fuel straight into the intake they'd be able to do their fucking jobs.

>>918373
Most of the ignorance is caused by fuckwits talking about cars but not actually understanding anything about cars. In Australia, I hear all the fucking time retards discussing muh lumpy cams, muh turbo, muh induction kit. It really grinds my exhaust bearings. I've learnt to simply ignore it now that I know enough to just ask them about their compression ratios and shimming methods or fuel system or volumetric flow tuning curves One does not simply drop a turbo into a stock car and receive power. That stupid fart cannon and rich fuel mix caused by them detonating their engine and fucking their valves, causing the knock sensor to trigger smoke mode because their bullshit power adding turbo vacuum bleeder made it run lean once =brrrrrt = +600hp
>>
<--- apprentice mechanic here.

Salesman, are, well.. salesman. They aren't mechanics, don't take any automotive advice from one. Ever.

As for dealerships trying to screw you.. that's complicated. Here in my province, we're paid flat rate - that is, we're paid based on the work we produce not necessarily the hours of work we're physically there for. There are honest technicians out there.. theres lots of hacks, as well.

Most of the money will go to the dealership itself - our licensed guys make $25/hour, but our shop rate is $110/hour

Car maintenance is expensive and you may as well accept that fact or learn to fix your own shiit

I'll answer any questions you bro's may have
>>
>>918021

Maybe I'm spoiled from having my own hoist in the shop, but fug working from a jack stand on some cold ass ground.

What do you back yard dudes when you start snapping bolts, stripping shiit, encounter rust?

Got some torches in the garage?
>>
>>917662
Not a mechanic and haven't been to one in years.
It's like every other business, all about the bottom line now.
I've had my central engineering department put override ability on items that will cause immediate equipment damage, and I've caught it and removed it, only to be chastised for eliminating a potential service request and using more time on a job multiple times.
Customers are just as bad, I've seen one shitty place rip out half of our control system and bring in 2 more contractors so "no one company can fuck them anymore", they now have 4 systems including our legacy, and their operators have no fucking idea how to use them all
>>
>>918540
I have never stripped a bolt or snapped a bolt. Is this common with air tools? If I find a rusted bolt I just drill off the head, use penetrating lubricant and a vise. If I encounter rust I just sand and paint. Any body work relating to engine mounts or safety stuff requires an engineering cert which is beyond the realm of a mechanic.
>>
>>918576
Tell more stories. What kind of equipment?
>>
>>918360
Lmao. What. Yes he did. If he's still here, he doesn't post in HVAC threads anymore. Every time he posted, which was incredibly obvious, the thread got filled with "SHOULDN'T YOU BE BEATING YOUR CHILDREN?"
Same with Mr. X.
>>
>>918647
At least his posts were on the verge of being worthwhile as compared to these recent wave of fucking cigarette/tobacco threads recently.
>>
>>918674
It wasn't what he was saying that was noxious, it was how he was saying it. I'd rather see 5 slightly contentious threads of hipsters arguing about vaping than one of HVAC guy screaming about how gooks are ruining America.
But yeah, why the hell do we have so many 420vapeit threads lately?
>>
>>917671
independent hillbilly mechanic here, can confirm
>>
>>917894
all of this
>>
File: flashlight_3.jpg (214 KB, 2053x1280) Image search: [Google]
flashlight_3.jpg
214 KB, 2053x1280
Hey guys, OP here.

I think I've gotten more comfortable about finding a car--with my trust flash light.

My stratergy is to use my flashlight to check radiator, brakes (rotors/calipers), suspension, and I'm gonna demand to jack the car up to check the ball bearings and tire rods.

Rust=bad

Check belts.
Listen for weird sounds.
Security of wires.
Check pumps and rubbers.

I feel like I have a better idea of what to look for--looking at the common trouble spots.

Can one of you fine gentlemen please fill me in on the most common breakdowns in cars? I'm supper worried about tire rods and wishbones...cus if that snaps, paralyzed car.

Lemme know guys.
>>
>>918674
>cigarette/tobacco threads

Im not sure why people even respond to those, they arent funny interesting or even bait. They are just dumb
>>
>>918734
The biggest thing is to know how much money you are trying to drop on a car.

Obviously those are all great things to look out for when looking for a car.
But if you are buying in a certain price range, with a certain age of a car, its going to have all those problems and you are going to need to fix them yourself.

Its a compromise of how much money you are willing to dump in maintenance to your new car, vs how much money you are going to spend in the first place.

Also, while yes a snapped tie rod and ball joint is very bad, I should note that OEM tie rods and ball joints are so fucking strong that you will literally eat 2-3 sets of tires away from bad alignment way way before one ever snaps.
>>
>>918740
>you will literally eat 2-3 sets of tires away from bad alignment way way before one ever snaps.
Good point.

I was scoping out a dealership and I noticed that one o f the honda civics was "low" to the ground, while another in the lot of the identical model wasn't nearly as low.

Wtf is that? The suspension in the car look great (no rust and still had its rubbery covering dealy).

I don't understand why it was so low (and it was saftey tested and e-missions tested passed).
>>
>>917662
I went to apply for an auto loan for a car worth ~10k. told them i had zero down and my credit although really good with equfax and transunion due to time of credit. I only had it for <6 months they told me to go fuck myself because i had no credit history with experian that's the big one and they only update every 6months.

anyway. i left.

6months roll by they do a pre-scan and i'm getting calls left and right.

fuck those faggot. to this day i dont own a car.
>>
>>918797
Spend 2 grand on a car from craigslist
You really want a car payment?
>>
>>918693
Vape "box mods" are the new arduino led blinker project
>>
>>917665
Why do you all them realtors? Where does that word even come from? We call them estate agents which kind of makes more sense.
>>
>>919149
It originated in the early 20th century from the world realty which means a person's real property.
Thus someone who sells peoples real property, homes in this case, is a realtor.

realty+or
realtor
>>
>>917662
One of my best friends was a car dealer.
Now he's a preacher.

He's the biggest scam artist I've ever met in real life. That may be anecdotal, but holy shit the dealership he worked for was filled with nothing but snakes.

>>917665
Seconding.

Also, lawyers who do property law are really bad too. They will leave out and write in things to the contract to slip it past the customer in order to steal from them.

>>917670
They aren't too bad. Most have a high school mentality. Just say, "Sorry, but I'd just be wasting your time, please remove me from your list so you can get your quota faster." and hang up. Just don't try to play with them or piss them off of their ENTIRE office will start calling you all day long for revenge.
>>
>>917745
That's a good deal where I live. Here oil is expensive and you have to legally dispose of the used oil and that costs even more. Letting someone with all the permits and licenses to dispose of the used oil take care of everything is a lot less headache than doing it yourself. They are super fast too since your car goes up on over a pit and you're out of there in less than 10mins.

It is nearly as fast as fast food and you don't even have to get out of the car.

>>917702
Customers are terrible in any profession.

I did in-home PC repair when I owned my own business. HOLY FUCK But, I was polite since I knew that they didn't know anything about PCs at all and were usually grossly misinformed about 99% of all things PC.

The worst ones were the ones who lie to you about things, have a pirated OS and want it reinstalled with non-working pirated product keys, or have kiddie porn in plain sight on their desktops.

I think the worst thing I've heard form mechanic friends is finding a bag of weed in a car one time in the fuse box. Of course the owner just split the bag with them and everyone was happy.
>>
I worked for a used car dealership and I always buy private party.

Since OP is not a mechanic, he/she/it can take any prospective purchase to a mechanic for evaluation.

Dealers can sit on a car to get top dollar. Private sellers want to sell so they can do other things with the money. Dealers do the minimum to prep a car for resale, often rebuild wrecks, and rarely get cream-of-the-crop used vehicles.

Shop for utter reliability. Not looks, not fanboi popularity, not feels. You need transport first not a fucking playtoy. Playtoy vehicles are overpriced in relation to their functional worth. Low mileage boring sedans are where it's at if you need one affordable vehicle. Toyota and Nissan tend to be tough and reliable. Honda has too many fanbois driving up the price but are otherwise excellent. Chrysler a shit, ditto Cadillac (which we traded off to a Caddy specialist who had a black clientele fascinated wit de luxury).

CFC is ancient history but it DID flush many organ donors to salvage. Most people didn't have the money to buy a new car so all CFC really did was get rid of junk. I watched the process from the used car auction perspective and saw what went. Plenty of body, chassis and other non-driveline parts came available when clunkers were salvaged.

If OP wants a pickup then Toyota, Nissan and Ford or Chevrolet all make good units. Do NOT buy an F150 with a 4.2 six cylinder! They die of hydrolock. 4.6 and 5.4 are excellent engines but have your first plug change done by a mechanic who does machine work and has the special tools to remove wrung-off spark plug shells. Chevrolet V8s are the nicest V8 to work on and parts are cheap. Beware 4L60 GM transmissions because they die early and expensively.
>>
BMW tech here..

Not all techs/dealers are out to rob you, you just hear a lot more about the bad than the good.

Source: the dealer I work for is rated #1 for customer service in the nation by bmw....
>>
>>918056

Oil change costs me less than 30 euro, and I give the oil to my dad who uses it paint peoples fences as "waterproofer"
>>
>>919164
>finding a bag of weed in a car
hahaha i love weed customers

>this car smells like weed
>theres 2 joints in the ashtray and the owner is smoking the third
>tipped with joints (a lot)
>paid in weed
>grinder in the cup holder
>weed stickers on the car

weed customers are better customers

no one ever paid me with sex though fuck customers.

>>918338
sup ausi bro
my aunts car was going into limp mode this weekend. first thing my cousin said was throttle body sensors. gotta run with a better crowd homie.

>>918373
>tl;dr i hope the autoservice industry collapses or stagnates so people have to learn to fix their own cars

i wish they never invented automatic transmissions
that would weed out the herd
>>
>>918782
Was it a preowned? Some kid riced it out.
>>
>>919164
I don't know how it is in yurop or the People's Republic of Commifornia, but here in the States any auto parts store is required to take used motor oil.

Also, a oil change while still sitting in the car? Sounds like the insurance company would be sitting bricks. I don't buy it.
>>
>>919181
>Not all techs/dealers are out to rob you,
Yes they are and are fuckin bastards.
>>
>>917662
This is what /o/ is for.
>>
>>919197
Well, if I used the cheapest mineral oil and bought it by the barrel ex vat, the oil would cost about 10 euros. But the decent synthetic oils won't burn in your engine and fuck your seals because shit viscosity and friction modifiers and cut with Chinese gutter oil. The oil i put in my engine alone costs me more than 30 euros. My advice is to not trust such prices.

>>919164
It's surprising how businesses actually pay for used oil disposal when it has value. Companies will pay to take it away. Consider it like scrap metal. Some bullshit mechanics around the place actually are retarded enough to believe they can recycle used motor oil themselves by "cleaning it" that's what the fucking oil filter is for.
>>
>>919436
/o/ is for talking about how awesome you think your panther platform is or talking about bolting turbos onto miatas.

If you ask, they will tell you to read the painfully outdated sticky
>>
>>919447
This is true. /o/ would laugh at you and tell you to try replacing the muffler bearings or install a direct exhaust induction system
>>
>>919443

I buy the proper synthetic oil and its 30 euro with a mann filter, quality german manufacturing and not some chinese crap
>>
>>919436
>/o/
>for anything else than spouting Initial D memes and arguing over manual vs auto and Corvette vs GTR
>>
>>919544
Lucky bastard. The premium 5-30w castrol oil in emustralia here is 50 euros for a 5L and that's from a place called super cheap auto.
>>
>>917670

> Snail mail
> Radio
> TV
> Email
> Websites
> SMS
> Twitter
> Phone Lines
> Cell Phones

Is there any communication medium that advertisers won't completely ruin?
>>
>>917662
Pretty much anyone in a management position anywhere, at least in my experience.
>>
>>919149
Used house salesmen.
>>
>>917662
go to craigslist and find a car locally. dealing with someone that isn't a professional will lead to a decent price w/o all the overhead.

also, make sure to document the purchase with signatures on both ends.
>>
>>919575
>http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/5367808896.html
>craigslist
>>
>>919181
STEP?
>>
>>917662
Back the fuck up, son. Parts Dept here. (1.5 yr experience.)

I work at a smaller dealership, and I take pride in the work that I do. I get mechanics what they need to fix customers cars, mostly. I attempt to explain and cheapen the price of a repair when I can do it safely. Naturally, my first job is to enrich the dealership. But do not make the mistake of assuming all us car people are predatory. I bend over fucking backwards for people everyday because it is my duty and my privilege to do so. I drive to the homes of senior citizens and install car batteries for $30. I willingly drive across the fucking state off-the-clock to get factory-new body parts to finish the repairs a customer's vehicle three days faster. I tell people exactly where to buy a competitor's part if they are not satisfied with the one I offer.

STOP.

>Have a free cup of coffee.

>Take a minute to relax.

>Listen to the calming muzak in the customer lounge.

Now, let's talk about the machine that makes your lifestyle possible with cool and level heads. I want to see you FREE to travel, wherever you want to go, whenever you feel like it. Just bear in mind: a high-class lifestyle usually comes with a high price. Let's try to meet somewhere in the middle.
>>
>>919575
To be fair, dealing with someone that isn't a professional may also lead to trouble.

>what do u mean the headgaskets are leaking
>oil isn't supposed to look like a milkshake?
>I inflated my tires last year

At least with a local professional, you can hold someone legally accountable.
>>
File: jeopardy-logo.jpg (82 KB, 854x469) Image search: [Google]
jeopardy-logo.jpg
82 KB, 854x469
>>917935
>What is the difference between retail and wholesale for $200, Alex?
>>
>>919656
>>Have a free cup of coffee.
>>Take a minute to relax.
>>Listen to the calming muzak in the customer lounge.

Where do i sign
>>
Did a mandatory inspection on my old car, the guy was like "your emission levels are off the charts, just get yourself a new catalyser(sp?)."
Seeing that A: this would basically cost me half as much as I paid for the car (excluding work, I got the car cheap) and B: A year ago it went through fine. I started looking for a better solution. Turns out the Lambda sond was loose. Fuck him for suggesting a 200$+ solution that wouldn't solve a three turns with a wrench problem.
>>
>>919705
why would you get an emission test 2 years in a row?
ew it looks like some states in america require annual testing

a suggestion is not an official diagnostic either.

>Lambda sond
cuckmobile

lol does anyone else call it a Lambda sond
>>
>>919712
also, emission testing programs are a fucking hotbed for customer fucking, especially for the driving on the dyno type. customer fucking all around. you can tell a lot about a show by the way they handle their emission testing program

also p sure if you hook it up to obd you can read o2 sensor readings. shit readings would also through out a code, which would make you fail an etest if its odb2 type etest .
>>
>>919662
... SO the dealer is supposed to charge you double-retail or something? What is your point even.
>>
>>919721
wholesale<retail aftermarket<OEM
price for everything always

OEM from the dealership will cost you a fucking assload not matter what every time because the dealership is not there to compete with other garages because it doesnt really have to because to buy any OEM parts it has to be from/through an offical dealer, or to do some OEM type computer flashing services, it will most of the time have to be done at the dealer
dealer monoply

i wish more people took the bus
>>
>>919726
But the retail price for non OEM, and in many cases the OEM manufacturers brand (i.e. denso for Toyota) Is usually around 20-30 a wheel.

This is much lower than the 50 per wheel anon estimated.
>>
>>919712
European here, excuse me for not knowing all car specific vocabulary in my second language.
My part also has annual testing of all cars including emissions.
>>
>>917894
Jesus dude.. I'm not even the same guy and I think you're a fucking douche. Honestly man it sounds like you need a new fucking job. You sound like you're ready to blow your own head off. Stop posting faggot.
>>
>>920331
He's actually replying to three anons.

The thing that puzzles me is why one would come into what is clearly started as a mechanic/dealer hate thread, imply they are and defend mechanics/dealers, act superior to and then call everyone stupid and expect people to agree with him and not give him a load of shit.
>>
>>920331
People like that delude themselves into thinking they are the victim.
It's the big bad customer being upset because they are getting ripped off.
>>
File: 8432304.jpg (34 KB, 1125x372) Image search: [Google]
8432304.jpg
34 KB, 1125x372
OP here, bought one of these to help me inspect potential cars.

I'm getting more and more confident to go against the dealers/mechanics.
>>
My brakes are bit worn down. I have to change the brakes. But do to that, I need to buy a jack, jackstands, lug wrench, c-clamp.

Fugg
>>
Cars just shouldn't exist in the first place, at least not to the extent they are used today. They're probably the most wasteful commodity by a big margin.

If they hadn't been invented yet and someone tried launching the invention they'd get shot down immediately. Yeah here's an invention that will incur thousands of dollars in annual cost, pollute the environment with toxic chemicals, require billions of dollars in infrastructure, will break down and frequently if you're not adamant on maintaining it, require very little to get a license and you only have to get it once so old farts and young drivers will disturb traffic, has little to no salvage value after they've expired and can't be recycled, and will fuck your life up for good if you get into an accident and hurt/kill yourself or someone else.

Yeah there's the fundamental purpose which is that you can go anywhere at any time and carry stuff with you, but with a better transit and taxi service and more local businesses we could've gotten by.

Don't get me wrong I'm a car enthusiast and a self-taught mechanic, but I just prefer not to deal with the bullshit of driving and the costs of maintenance/repairs.
>>
>>920883
Can't wait for Uber and etc to get driverless cars.
>>
>>920866
>I need to buy a jack, jackstands, lug wrench, c-clamp.

If you own a car, you should already own them
Get with it, unless you want to be raped anytime something bad happens to your car
>>
>>920866

They will pay themselves off real quick because they won't only be used for brakes
>>
>>920883
> but with a better transit and taxi service and more local businesses we could've gotten by.
You live in a major metropolitan area don't you?

I do agree, cars are actually pretty bad r/n and annoying to deal with sometimes.

But: In the area I live in, If there were no cars, and I had to rely on a bike to get to the train station (my town is too small to have a cab service; there isn't a train station but without cars there would be where the tracks are), assuming the train is as fast as a car on the highway, the bike ride alone would add 30 minutes to my already 40 minute commute. Meaning I would have to get up at 3:00 to make it to work by 6:00. Not to mention the fact that I also have to bring a large tool kit to work as well. We'd get by alright. We'd probably invent cars.
Not having cars would be better for us, but how many people would put in that much effort just to avoid pollution? A problem that will probably never affect them in their lifetimes, thus viewed by many boomers as 'imaginary'. Cars were a byproduct of living in a huge country and being lazy.

Although it would finally get me into shape.
>>
>>917671
this is true. the people who work for big chains don't care about getting the job done properly because they don't think they're paid enough.
>>
>>918154
scrap yard offers are the biggest scams out there.
if the rims are okay they can easily be sold for 100 bucks or more. pluck the car to pieces and sell each part separately and you'll make way more.
>>
>>918734
rust isn't that bad, just looks ugly. unless its on the bodywork. if there is rust there don't buy the car. its not worth fixing or risking driving around with.
>>
>>920937
Drones will eventually change the way we do things by delivering everything to us like groceries/shopping, and if they get big enough then even people or baggage.
>>
File: ~1.jpg (55 KB, 580x379) Image search: [Google]
~1.jpg
55 KB, 580x379
>>917665
The leads are weak
>>
>>921290
How is it significantly better to fly than to drive? Yes, distance is shorter but flight requires more energy (=> more pollution) and increases risks significantly.
>>
>>921312
as the crow flies. if distance is sufficiently shorter, there is a net energy savings. Also, weight efficiency.
Basically, you're comparing the energy of having a 10lb drone fly a total of 7 miles, 3.5 of it carrying a 1 lb package, vs having a 1200 lb SUV carrying people 12+ miles (because side streets), plus a lot of running time in traffic, at stop lights etc., to go pick up that same 1 lb package.
The real world example is somewhere like new york, a drone flying a pizza to your apartment building for 3 minutes is WAY cheaper in energy than running a delivery car fighting through traffic for 20 minutes to cover the same distance.

>>920986
Time value of money and storage costs. obviously they try to make money and make a living on it, but no one is getting super wealthy off of it, because parting out a car takes years.
>>
>>920937
Yep. we should have done the europe solution, and made cities anti car. all our trolley car networks fell apart when traffic happened, before traffic they were awesome and efficient. Now buses are terrible and always slow and late because they are stuck behind joe schmoe, getting cut off all the time, and no one lets them through to turn. If we put car storage lots for travel and just banned non-commercial cars from the city limits, with some planning I wouldn't be surprised if we could get everyone where they were going with the same commute +/- 10 minutes. Faster more efficient buses and more housing where we now have urban parking lots means that you would have a bus stop 10 minutes walk from you, the wait on a bus would be 5-10 minutes, not 50+, and your actual drive time would be much shorter, because there would be 15 buses and a dozen trucks/work vans instead of 600 cars on the road, so no traffic).

Traffic and cars in the US compared to public transportation are a classic case of fuck you, i got mine.

There are people who pay their car payment instead of the rent, because having a car to get to work is more important than having a place to sleep. and it's kinda messed up that America has a system that reinforces that.
>>
>>921514
>15 buses

what Podunk little town do you live in where this is feasible.

15 busses would have barely covered my high school student body.
>>
My father paints and fixes cars for a living, and for small services he charges like a $10 extra after materials.
>>
Just repaired a car today that a mechanic fucked with first. My mum calls me to ask me to replace the pinion bearings in her differential. Some passenger complained that they could hear a "whining noise". A mechanic diagnosed this. Also apparently "topped up" the diff.
>i turn up, look at diff
>oil leaking from filler hole
>uhhh what the fuck
>remove filler bolt
>new washer was installed
>surface not cleaned, covered in grit
>washer split and warped from wrong size and over torque
>diff only half full of oil
>oil is black
>drain oil
>cover internals in spray can degreaser
>refill with fresh oil
>replace washer, torque properly
>no leaks now, no performance problems, no noise

Did these motherfuckers just fuck the seal so that their prophecy would come true and the diff would break? They quoted 1000$ labor to repair it as well.
>>
>>922264
>Did these motherfuckers just fuck the seal so that their prophecy would come true and the diff would break?
Fucking pieces of shit.
Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.