[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Apologies for bad English. I put a steel in the back of my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: images.jpg (4 KB, 172x93) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4 KB, 172x93
Apologies for bad English.

I put a steel in the back of my phone and zip tied one neodymium HDD magnet to my car air vent for hold phone.

Everyone tells me this will break my phone but my phone is not broken. Are they stupid or is it me who is stupid?

I am only worry about compass and maybe speaker. It is galaxy S2.
>>
People are stupid and afraid magnets with technology.

You are right, there is some concern for your speaker and compass. your phone will use your compass as part of an inertial navigation system while using the gps, so test to see if that still acceptably and that you can use the mic, speakerphone, and speaker acceptably.
>>
>>917163
When the phone moves into and out of the magnetic field it can produce voltage spikes in the electronics. There are many factors involved. It really depends on the penetration of the magnetic field into your phone's electronics.

If the magnet is mounted on the car and the battery of the phone is right over the magnet when you take it on and off, there shouldn't be a problem. The battery pack inside the phone should protect the rest of the electronics from the magnetic field.

If the magnet is attached to the phone and never taken off, it won't harm it since it is never moving.

If your phone as some sort of magnetic sensing device, the magnet could ruin that sensor. If the magnet is too close to the microphone or the speaker, it could also ruin those.

Since the magnetic field of the magnet is very shallow, there's less of a chance of it harming something. But, there are really too many factors involved to be 100% safe unless you know what your doing.
>>
>>917170
Is compass breaking become permanent or just need calibration after? I am not sure how digital magnetometer works inside.
>>
>>917173
>Since the magnetic field of the magnet is very shallow
That's an hdd magnet, the last thing those have is a shallow fields. Those fuckers are strong, buddy.
>>
>>917179
I think he means that it exists in a narrow form.
>>
>>917179
Strong doesn't mean big field. All you need to do is put some plastic spacers in.
>>
I use hdd magnets to fuck up lcd or other type of screens of small appliances that are close to their warranty time limit. They really fuck them up in a week or two. So I wouldnțt recommend placeing one on a phone.
>>
>>917182
>>917183
Hence how metal objects don't stick to HDDs.
>>
>>917179
Yes is very strong. I use thin steel so is not sticking too much and break air vent. Field extend about 2-3cm for screw to stick so is inside phone I think.

Is induce too much current? It does not move very fast. I think is worth for easy use. Phone is not break yet.

Maybe wrap in tape for keeping phone further away?
>>
>>917186
How is magnet fuck LCD? LCD is using no magnetic things? Are pixels unable to change for resist magnetic field? I am stupid on this I think.

Phone is use LED screen not LCD type so is LED type breaking with magnet also?
>>
>>917198
Screen is already partly burn out from always display status bar, but I still do not want to replace.
>>
Thank you for answering. Hopefully is okay. I will post new thread after tested for two weeks.
>>
>>917163
I think you're good dude. Magnets can affect voltages, but the voltage inside is highly regulated. Magnets can affect liquid screens, but it's reasonably far away from the screen. Magnets can fuck up hard drives, but phone's use flash so it's not applicable. People are quick to spout whatever option they heard in passing if it sounds right at the time. They're also quick to relate one thing that's similar to another. I think you'll be fine, only phone I had give out from outside interference is when I accidentally stumbled into a radiation area at a plant I worked at. My screen stopped responding after.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.