[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think a track saw can be a real substitute for a table saw?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 11
File: maxresdefault.jpg (526 KB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
526 KB, 3000x2000
Do you think a track saw can be a real substitute for a table saw?
>>
>>917065
No
>>
File: triton_workcentre.jpg (108 KB, 1000x710) Image search: [Google]
triton_workcentre.jpg
108 KB, 1000x710
>>917065
have a look at the triton work bench can pick em up second hand cheap and just need to attach a circular saw. Not sure how popular they are in northern hemisphere
>>
File: 16410-E[1].jpg (46 KB, 479x650) Image search: [Google]
16410-E[1].jpg
46 KB, 479x650
>>917065
Nah. A table saw really is one of the cornerstones of a woodshop. Tracksaws are just a circular saw on steroids. If you need a basic, bulletproof table saw cheap just get an old 1960s or before Craftsman cast iron benchtop sawsaw. You can sometimes get them as cheap at $50 with a motor. That will get you started. No need to spend the big bucks on a cabinet saw if you are just getting started.

>>917070
Black and Decker used to say you could do basically the same thing with a Workmate. I'm guessing the two have about the same level of usefulness.
>>
Unless your cutting something that's huge and unwieldy or is really fucking heavy then no.
>>
>>917065
It'll cut straight lines, straight beveled lines, and you can probably create a jig to make repeatable diagonal cuts, but no it won't.

The big thing about a table saw is uniformity. If you know how to use one you can set it up and make infinite nearly identical cuts. Say you're making a table with 4 legs and 2 identical pieces for legs. That's 8 pieces that need to be perfect with eachother and say you have to have 3 matching tables. You won't be able to easily get those 24 identical pieces with a track saw, and even if you did you'd need to set it up 24 times so that adds a bunch of length to your project. And a track saw won't be able to take a dado set, or cut a board down through the edge.

This question is kind of off kilter though, you could mean generally will a track saw do everything a table saw can? No, and it'll do most things easier and more efficiently with more room for accuracy. But, if the question is will a track saw do everything you personally would be using a table saw for? Possibly, but if you're moving deeper into wood working you'll eventually need a table saw.

It's not uncommon for wood workers with minimal space to use both, because they're unable to safely run a full sheet of ply on their table saw by themselves. They'll cut it down to manageable size with the track saw first.
>>
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 800x600
It's not a substitute but they have their place.
I use it for cutting plywood. Because try getting a 4x8x3/4 plywood on a table saw.
Also any straight edge will do. I just clamp a strait edge to the work.
Or you can make your own track with hard board and a 1x2. No need to pay $500 for a production model
Pic related.
>>
>>917114
Thanks for that great idea!
>>
>>917106
>>917077
Hey guys....
I have a different optinion on the topic.
Track saw are much saver than a box style table saw.
Cutting thin pieces on a table saw, one smal mistake and off are your fingers. Mistaks like not using a splitter behind the blade (like most box-table-saw not have) are fatal.
I personal only have a track saw because I don't have enought room for big maschins, and of course you can't do everything with a track saw but if someone never used a circular saw it is are safer recommendation is a track saw.

And btw. box style table saws are shit. Europen style slide table saws are much better and safer. (your finger are much further away from the blade)
>>
File: festool-kapex-ks-120-eb.jpg (23 KB, 350x348) Image search: [Google]
festool-kapex-ks-120-eb.jpg
23 KB, 350x348
>>917131
for crosscuts I would recomment this thing
>>
>>917131
I never said a table saw was safer, just that it can do things a track saw can't. A table saw is easily the most dangerous tool I've ever used.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I own both. I like both, but the table saw excels in most areas where someone might use a track saw except a couple.

The table saw is much more accurate for setting bevel angles. It's particularly important when the cumulative errors of several slightly-off 90 cuts can have an impact. On the table saw, I can set my square against the cast iron top and reference it perfectly to the blade by spinning a knob.

To calibrate the track saw you need to fiddle with set screws, put the saw on the track, set the track on a sheet overhanging an edge, then hold the saw down and make adjustments with the set screws until you are comfortable with the squareness. Rinse and repeat. And even then I don't really trust it as much. Though really, this is a one-time annoyance.

You cannot cut small pieces on a track saw unless if you have some sort of Festool Mft-type table, that can adjust to support both ends of the track. Still, the table saw will still make nicer crosscuts especially with my zero clearance sled and the premium Freud Fusion Premier blade I prefer.

The track saw always needs sacrificial pieces of wood under the cut, unless if you have this Festool MFT table afaik.

Another plus in favor of the table saw is the infinite variety of blades available.

Setting up the track saw for a cut is a pain in the ass and you can't make repetitive cuts like with a table saw. Again, that's if you don't have an MFT style table.
>>
File: image.jpg (606 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
606 KB, 1000x667
This or gtfo
>>
>>917389
What's the second fence on the out feed for?
>>
File: Altendorf-F45-Panel-Saw.jpg (112 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
Altendorf-F45-Panel-Saw.jpg
112 KB, 1000x750
This is the best table saw u can get
>>
>>917439
the fuck do you need all those buttons for
>>
Is this a larp thread now?
>>
>>917441
Angle and heigh of the saw blade. And the paralell slide. I cut allot on 45° so i love those buttons
>>
>>917439
>>917527
Altendorf ftw.
also felder kicks ass.
basically american table saws compare to american cars. big and primitive
>>
>>917557
>basically american table saws compare to american cars. big and primitive

Nice troll. Everyone knows we stopped making things like that here back in the 1980's.
>>
File: 2009_Dodge_Challenger_RT.jpg (135 KB, 2022x991) Image search: [Google]
2009_Dodge_Challenger_RT.jpg
135 KB, 2022x991
>>917586
no. you didn't.
>>
>>917600
I was talking about power tools dipstick.
>>
File: prod_1568143912.jpg (163 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
prod_1568143912.jpg
163 KB, 1000x1000
>>917613
nope
>>
>>917586
>Nice troll. Everyone knows we stopped making things here back in the 1980's.

ft4u
>>
>>917557
I prefer german quality on the bigger machines like a table saw, planer a thicknesser. Never really had good experience with u.s. machines/tools . the life time guaranty is a positive thing but it doesn't stand for quality. Europefag here BTW.
>>
>>918109
Europeans don't own their own $20,000 table saws though, as the end user does not have the money or space for a sliding table saw. Obviously these machines are for production shops.

Americans just buy these ordinary table saws for their simplicity and size for hobbyist use.
>>
>>917615
Ahaha, you think Craftsman is made in the USA? Jesus fuck you are retarded. Last I checked Ryobi was their number one supplier of power tools.
>>
File: 2ltr.jpg (100 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
2ltr.jpg
100 KB, 540x720
>>918407
Face it, your country sucks, almost everything made in your country sucks, everyone hates your country and you suck and I hate you.
>>
I have an old delta table saw thats motor is fucking burnt out. To buy a new electric motor of the same size is really expensive. I solved my problem by putting another pully onto the arbor of the motor. And running a vbelt to a old used 6hp push assisted lawn mower. Attached a pully to one running wheel side. And removed the blade. My tablesaw sits outdoors on my porch covered with a tarp. Only gets used out in the open. Its very effective. Tho one day im gonna pick up a harbor freight gas motor just so I can attach the motor to the saw itself.

Lemme tell you. Going from 1.5hp to 6.. Is amazing. Plus these old saws have so much room on the inside. It orginally ran a 9 inch blade. Ive got a 12 inch on there now. The only issue being it doesn't lower all the way down. But if i need shallow cuts a 10inch is close by.
>>
>>917114
A 3/4 sheet is not too hard unless it's particle board, almost as much of a pain as 1 1/4 plywood.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.