[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bulletproof tires
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 11
Im thinking about getting an old Caterpillar 769b dumper. I need a way to make the tires impervious to air loss/flats. With a payload of around 75k lbs, simple everyday foam wont work.

I was thinking of either filling tires with 30 durometer polyurethane. I also came across this - www.gemplers.com/product/T4024/GEMPLERS-Ultraseal-Tire-Sealant-5-gal-Bulletproof-grade

Any DIY ideas?
>pic related...the beast
>>
>>916562
>Seals bullet wounds.
Sounds perfect for your heist/killdozer.
>>
>>916562
Solid rubber would work best I think. I have a solid rubber wheel that has lasted longer than the 4 wheel barrows that its been attached to over the past 20 years. Of course, no one has been shooting at it.
>>
>>916568
>Solid rubber tires for an AllahSnackbarDozer
Yea fuck that price and non-availability.
>>
If it could be done flawlessly than it would already be done in mines and quarrys all over the globe.
>>
>>916570
Make your own rubber. You can use any plant sap that is white, like dandelions and milkweed, for making rubber.
>>
>>916572
Pnematic tires are better than flatproof tires for dump trucks. Even ones like the Belaz 75710 uses tubeless pneumatic tires. Those trucks can hold a max of 810mt.
>>
>>916576
>Those trucks can hold a max of 810mt.

Well, including the weight of the truck I mean. That is how much is on the tires.
>>
>>916566
Youre on to me...It would be a killdumper for a shtf scenario.

I would remove the hydraulics from the bed and weld it in down position. Cut an opening from the cab, to the dump bed. Dump bed could be used for a "control center/housing". Use .75 inch, ar500 steel plate to armor front and vital areas. Should stop .50bmg, non-ap, from 100yds. Smaller rounds much closer. Would probably use .5in ar500 as a roof on the bed.

I considered a dozer, but with gf and kid, need more room. Plus, the 769b has a top speed around 40/45mph. Dozer is 9mph at most.

>>916566
Seals up to half inch... armoring against .50bmg is the goal.

>>916568
solid would work best...with about twice the payload capacity of a dozer, its quite feasible. Would be a pita I would think though.

>>916573
These tires are huge. It would take me a year just to collect the materials. Good idea though.
>>
>>916572
snipers with 50s are shooting at quarry dumpers though.
>>
>>916584
just going to make you a big target regardless of how protected you make it. Build a cabin/bunker/cache innawoods and dont tell no one.
>>
>>916590
well obviously....but depending on how bad things are, armored transport may be required.

I gave thought about an old armored car/truck like banks use (much lower profile than a big hulking "thing")...but Ive never seen one for sale/auction.
>>
I also thought about possibly using ar500 "skirts"/around the wheels. But Ill have to take suspension travel into consideration to avoid grounding the skirts out, and Im anticipating a rather large suspension travel on a vehicle like this...which will kind of make armor skirts null due to the exposed area that would be left.

>last 2 captchas have been cars and trucks...lol
>>
>>916562
>>916597
two questions: if you end up needing to use the beast, how do you plan on fueling the beast?

have you thought of using more wheels instead? say, an 8 wheeled vehicle?
>>
>>916584
Protecting against .50 bmg is pretty much impossible. Besides, if you do that, wouldn't they just just use HE to remove wheels from axle?
Do whatever mine sweeping tractors use.
>>
>>916595
when the power goes down and food runs out, there will be ARMIES of people rioting and looting everything in sight.
One molotov and your truck is a coffin.
>>
>>916607
fueling will be risky when time. Being diesel, it will run on numerous things. However, I dont want to carry extra fuel.

More wheels means more vulnerability IMO.

>>916613
Not impossible. 1in ar500 has been shown to defeat .50bmg, at as little as 100yds, with no dimpling or deformation. 0.75in should compare closely with deflection angles. Anybody firing a 50bmg closer than 100yds is asking for trouble due to ricochet. Of course, when speaking of AP rounds...thats a whole nother story.

>>916632
Valid point I didnt consider. I would reconsider armoring with dual layers of 3/8 and 1/2in, with a small air gap in between layers. This should still provide adequate protection from up to .50bmg (minus AP rounds), and provide some thermal insulation in case of a fire attack. Maybe an insulating layer between sheets for further insulation...fiberglass, kevlar, aramid? Im not up on the fire resistant properties of such things.
If I make this monster, I owe you thanks for bringing this to my attention.

However, we digress /diy/kes....I appreciate input considering the steel armoring, but Im in search of a solution to "bulletproof"/make run flat, the 18r33 tires on this thing.
>>
>>916632
I could also incorporate a slat armor/standoff armor in order to break open glass bottled fire bombs, among other similar things (including rpgs), causing them to break open/detonate upon impact. As opposed to hitting the vehicles actual armor plate.

Any /k/omandos? Id like to hear input on the tire situation.
>>
>>916562
Aren't the tires already a few inches thick?
>>
>Dump truck tires
That's gonna take a shitload of foam. Depending on the amount of survivability you really insist on, it may make more sense to add self-sealing liners to the tires instead.
>>
This thread in its entirety is bullshit.

>buys a huge dumper truck for fuck knows what reason
>suddenly, tyres

Tyres are the issue. Tyres. Fuck this guy OP man.
>>
>>916653
>More wheels means more vulnerability IMO.

Actually, it means you can blow out one outside tire and the inside tires will still be able to get you where you need and the outside ones will shield the inside ones.
>>
>>916562
dude, make tire armor.

>inb4 killdozer part 2 electric boogaloo
>>
File: strykercage.jpg (167 KB, 400x830) Image search: [Google]
strykercage.jpg
167 KB, 400x830
>>916654
Yes, that is what you'd need to protect against that kind of threat. It is standard issue for RPG heavy situations.

To protect the tires, it will be more about how low you can go on them before it becomes a problem with driving around. You may need to go as low as you can without affecting off road capabilities and then hang very heavy chains the rest of the way to the ground from there. Like these chains used on tanks to protect their tracks and old style tanks to protect the "shot trap".

Also, you can fill the back of the dumptruck with lots of Badgers like this as your escape/attack vehicles,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8R5TvrZvh0
>>
>>916736

Cat 769b is probably too small to even hold one of those.

Also I can't wait until OP fires that thing up and a group of people hear him from a half mile away (you would be surprised how far away you could even hear a regular car when there is no road traffic, thriving city or industry nearby). And they decend upon him get him stuck or disable it and just wait until he starves, dehydrates or suffocates from all his defecation in his cab and they just come and carry away the rest of his fuel and leave the useless hunk of junk there.
>>
>>916778
>Cat 769b is probably too small to even hold one of those.

The Badger is really small and it looks like the dump on a Cat 769b could probably hold 4-6 of them easily. They are 3 ft 3 in wide. The dump on a Cat 769b is like 13-15 feet x 12-13 feet or more I think.

The rest of your post is conjecture.
>>
File: APOCALYPSE WAGON.jpg (2 MB, 8848x2880) Image search: [Google]
APOCALYPSE WAGON.jpg
2 MB, 8848x2880
How feasible is this?
>>
File: 1449275183574-b.webm (3 MB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
1449275183574-b.webm
3 MB, 500x280
>>916814
>can use the badgers as optional hot boxes
>>
>>916632
Op will never survive if he ever built this machine

I like the idea that people will finally cooperate when they have nothing and destroy anything of use with maximum efficiency.
>>
>>916814
Im in.
Is this on kickstarter ?
come at me pigs.
>>
>>916867
>I like the idea that people will finally cooperate when they have nothing and destroy anything of use with maximum efficiency.

Like history has always shown us is the case.
>>
>>916668
Thats what I was thinking. Not sure how that Gemplers stuff I linked works, need to look into it more. Liners was a thought too.

>>916676
Killdumper coming to your hometown soon!

>>916731
never thought about that. The 769 has duals in the back.

>>916736
>>916808
Ooo....I like the Badger idea!

>>916814
I like it, but shipping containers would need additional armor and center of gravity is too high imo. Id rather stick with original idea and weld on an ar500 roof. This would also allow for angling the steel plate for better deflection.

>>916736
they make chains for tires like this for use in a quarry. Good idea.

>>916867
>I like the idea that people will finally cooperate when they have nothing and destroy anything of use with maximum efficiency.

Youve never lived in a major city filled with niggers, have you? I live in Detroit...the entire city would be burned to the ground.
>>
>>916814
too expensive to drive
a smaller dumptruck could still carry 4 containers
also remove the dumping portion
make a passage from container to driver seat
>>
>>916959
>also remove the dumping portion
make a passage from container to driver seat...

did you read thread? >>916584

the steel in the dump bed is much thicker than a shipping container, thus not requiring as much extra armor.
>>
>>916959
>too expensive to drive

You can make your own bio-diesel right in the shipping containers. You can also convert it to bio-methane and make that too.
>>
Realistically what you want is a solid tire. A bullet hole is too big even for industrial tire sealer.

What I would do is add protective armor to the wheels, with part of them on a spring loaded hinge. That way it can still travel with the suspension. You'd also want to fill the tires with the industrial tire sealer stuff I mentioned anyway, in case you run over debris or something in the roadway.
>>
>>917192
I love the idea of a rolling fortress but it don't matter if you tires are solid stone.
Some tar will stick the tow ropes/cables to the tires fine.
It dont matter how solid the wheels are or how big of an engine. Couple turns round an axle and your dead in the water.
Any raider worth his salt wont try shoot monster tires, cover you in fire maybe.
>>
>>916597
You don't need a skirt. Attack a disk to the tires are
That are a slight small diameter the the tires. Then all you'll need it front and back protection.
>>
>>916955
I live in Detroit, no it wouldn't. A lot of people here don't have cars. When power goes out and the network's go down everyone will just assume it's another blackout. No one will know the world as we know it is ending. And even if they did they're not going to burn the city down, a few people might kill a few more people to get something they don't have, but how's that any different from the status quo?

The world's not going to end though.

We're not going to run out of oil, there are still untapped deposits that can't be refined, and believe it that billions of dollars are being spent to develop a way. Up until 20 years ago coking didn't become a major process, but now everyone's scrambling to get one. And it's continually getting more effective.

There's plenty of coal and natural gas left. Many companies are converting their fleet vehicles to run on ng because the cost is going down because they keep finding more and more of it.

Renewable energy is continually getting cheaper and more efficient. As are electric cars, where now there's a manufacturer that's devoted to producing nothing but while remaining profitable.

There's not going to be a major disease that wipes everybody out. And even if there was, if everyone does who's left to kill you? Best to go to a remote place at that point because the people that are left will get you when you least expect it, they're probably the smart ones if they survived.

Martial law isn't going to be enforced, it's much easier to maintain an autonomous society that believes they're free.

The only thing that would completely wipe us out is the sun collapsing on itself, a massive nuclear apocalypse where every one pushes the button, or an asteroid colliding with the earth and ripping it in half. Nothing you can do about that though.
>>
Commerical tire foam fill services exist for just such situations. You REALLY need to hang on heavy equipment and construction forums. Those folks have the knowledge you seek. Don't even bother to "Presidentially engineer" tire foaming as you may make it impossible to do the job correctly later. If you will never use the thing on paved roads you may be able to get solid steel wheels. Scrap steel prices are in the shitter so watch auctions via Auctionzip etc. Scrappers won't fight you for old parts like they used to.

http://www.goodyearctsc.com/foam-fill/

It won't be cheap but it is popular.

Remember that Cat won't make bridge height limitations. It's a childishly stupid SHTF project base.

If you want military results, copy MILITARY vehicles. You can get low-mileage military surplus trucks quite reasonably (under ten grand). You can fabricate an armored cab fairly easily if you are familiar with metalworking or willing to learn..

Your most affordable welder option for the cab would be a used industrial MIG or stick machine. MIG or FCAW would do the job faster than stick, and FCAW is now used for structures in earthquake zones. You'll need at least a 250 amp machine but larger is better.

I suggest studying Viet Nam era gun trucks since they are proven for REAL SHTF combat. There are reenactors who have built replicas you could copy. The gun truck is a functional design built in the field to protect supply convoys. It works so well they were re-created for the Iraq war but the original Nam trucks had a lot more firepower. Remember armor is fucking heavy so just armor the passenger compartment.

You need a bugout location more than you need a playtoy and the best way to survive SHTF is "don't live in a place you need to bug out from!". Not that playtoys aren't cool. Your military truck can have ATIS to cope with air loss, and you can foam its tires less expensively than that Cat. You can also bob the military truck to get rid of the rear axle.
>>
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/ is THE site for MV collectors and users. They run a tight ship to keep idiots from polluting their board so behave yourself if you register.

http://www.whiteowl.com/25TONCLASSTRUCKS.html
>>
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/24370-Deuce-downsize-project

You should be able to do a complete truck for about 15 grand, depending heavily on cost of armor plate and cab fabrication. You won't be dodging IEDs on a MSR so you only need side and roof protection. Odds of someone shooting a fifty cal down on you are low so side protection would be where to invest your "weight allowance". DO THE MATH on the metal before purchase and construction. Have ballistic glass windows because if you can't see you can easily go where you should not. The military has lots of rollover accidents. Armored trucks are top-heavy.

You have a shitload of homework to do. It's fun and interesting.
>>
File: cargo.jpg (2 MB, 3673x2449) Image search: [Google]
cargo.jpg
2 MB, 3673x2449
>>916814
Park this on an freight cargo ship and use it as your disembark vehicle for organized raids for supplies and booty. Just stick near to the ports and never worry about big storms.
>>
http://www.missilebases.com/

Money doesn't seem to be an issue, retrofit an old missile silo into a survival bunker
>>
But how will you protect against my gas OP? Mustard gas is very easy to make, I have done it before and I could easily scale it up.

Pic Related, me and m8s coming to steal a sweet a Killdozer
>>
>>916562
I don't think that a dump truck like that one has much in the way of suspension other than the tires themselves; if you make them solid you're likely to make the whole vehicle shake itself apart.
>>
>>917347
There's these things called "gas masks" you can get them pretty much anywhere in the world. Most everyone that does prepping or survival shit has a few laying around.

It'd be more effective to sneak in and steal all the can openers then starve him out.
>>
>>917325

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfh2yObrOHw

not relevant but kinda
>>
>>916562
go away jamal, we won't help you make a truckbomb
>>
This thread seems filled with potential ISIS.
>>
File: 48.jpg (344 KB, 1282x1460) Image search: [Google]
48.jpg
344 KB, 1282x1460
>>917518
>>917472
I remember this shit since the 1980s. Back then it was rednecks and zombies as the main topic. Then terrorist sandfuckers come along and turn it into a reality.
>>
>>917414
He won't drive and wear a gasmask, they are uncomfortable and restrict visibility.
>>
File: 136872122075.jpg (35 KB, 480x368) Image search: [Google]
136872122075.jpg
35 KB, 480x368
>>917539
if you can dream it you can conceive it anon
>>
Use a mix of diesel and sawdust. In the right mix it would work great for this. You need to heat cure it though. Usually if you drive over some hot coals it will work. Longer cure time the better.
>>
>>918423
Easy, just use a positive pressure filter system on the cab of the truck. No more gas attack problems.
>>
>>916653
>Being diesel, it will run on numerous things.

and can be disabled with acetylene gas
>>
>>916562
realistically, those tires are already pretty much bulletproof. I mean they might not stand up to a fifty, but a pistol wont penetrate them, i doubt a 5.56 would get through the 2" tread, or 1.5" sidewall. They are 73" tall and weigh 770 lbs each, and have more than2" of tread. They're not built like passenger car tires.

perhaps a more realistic solution would be to add a steel or polymer run-flat style hoop to the wheel.
>>
>>916566
> heist/killdozer
meh. Armored super-suicide truck. No normal checkpoint can stop it. Works extremely well for ISIS.
>>
>>>/k/
>>
>>919029
/k/ is for weapons not tires.
>>
>>919022
If they keep using shit like that checkpoints will be designed to stop them. It wouldn't be that difficult.
>>
OP hasn't defined the threat. Any government and many private citizens could mobility kill a truck, and large trucks won't be manoeuvrable in anything but open terrain.

Armor it against a fifty cal and the opposing force can still shoot the hubs or other weak points. Armor it all over and the weight will be its undoing.

OP doesn't want to survive military threats, he wants to masturbate. Fine, but don't fucking pretend this isn't a fantasy exercise. If I wanted to get what OP has I could tail the monster truck until it reached its destination then snipe the crew as they got out.

Chantards don't understand that fixed fortifications and ultra-heavy/ultra large vehicles are traps. Mobility and firepower wins military engagements.

If you are going to spend stupid money, buy a surplus Russian tank and import it. Then you have an appreciating piece of history which you can sell after you pull your head out of your arse. It will have cross-country mobility, effective armor, and they come with dozer blades to make protective berms for the infantry ALL AFV need for protection.
>>
>>916814
Keked hard son
>>
>>916562
Goodyear makes products specifically for this, and the companies that change the tires know how to do it. They use a larger than normal valvestem for the process.
>>
>>916654
What hell hole do you live in that multiple .50 BMG-equipped snipers are a concern?

You're gonna die historic, on the Fury Road. Carload of dindus in a Taurus would have no problem chasing you down and boarding you. How are you going to get your back scratched?

Instead of dumping a ton of resources into this behemoth, focus on acquiring suitable land and building a smallholding. Totally off the grid, totally self sustaining.

Shtf doesn't happen in a nanosecond (unless earthquake), learn to read the precursors, and have an effective bug out plan. Instead of Mad Maxxing it out of the ruins, be a week gone when the happening happens.
>>
>>916819
That video cracked me up. I was waiting for the smoke to clear and it just... didn't.
>>
>>919168
Just park a howitzer at the checkpoint and blast 'em as soon as they come into sight.
>>
>>918434
>>917539

>tfw ISIS has some based shit but is awful in literally every regard
>>
>>920128
I have that same feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnOpx4UedGQ
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.