[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone ever try using one of these and a circular saw to cut
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 450x285) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 450x285
Anyone ever try using one of these and a circular saw to cut baseboard trim? Would be cheaper than buying a second miter saw.
>>
That's just a speed square. Yes it would be cheaper. Whether it actually works depends on how straight you can cut.
>>
>>916482
For trim work Also buy a coping saw too. They cost leases then $10
Learn how to use it.
>>
>>916505
Not quite; it's an adjustable speed square. I'm finding every single corner is in need of scribing or otherwise compound miter cuts.
>>
File: rockler miter trimmer.jpg (148 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
rockler miter trimmer.jpg
148 KB, 720x720
>>916518
>coping saw
finish carpentry with a coping saw? ishygddt
>>
what's wrong with your first miter saw?
>>
File: coper.jpg (236 KB, 700x467) Image search: [Google]
coper.jpg
236 KB, 700x467
>>916526
coping is great for those 92 degree angles where the drywall goes up in the corner and the profile of the crown your boss bought is fluctuating all over the place mane

i know we're talking about baseboard, but still
>>
>>916532
Well, it's about 30 years old and the fence has been broken and epoxy'd twice and it isn't exactly straight (not to mention the miter adjustment isn't accurate). Aside from that, got the whole house to do and not one inside or outside corner is 90, so each cut is time consuming and two people working.
>>
>>916539
i just make 6" sample pieces cut at 44, 45, and 46 and hold them at the corners to see what to cut it at

mitering is faster than any coping you could do and circular saws for little tiny cuts are awkward and dangerous and loud.

lowes and home depot are 90 days, just return your miter saw at the end
>>
>>916546
That's a good idea. I'll do that tomorrow. The miter saw has turned into a pain in the dick since we started trim. Any recommendations for a miter saw? I'll probably buy one when the house sells. I've been drawn to the Bosch glider, but I worry it would be a waste. Found it at a local Home Depot for under $500, but not sure if it was the display model or not.
>>
Bosch glider is a good saw but kinda overkill for trimming. A generic 12inch would suit your needs unless you're cutting stupidly big baseboard or crown. Seriously cope your inside corners. Cut your pieces an 1/16 or 1/8 longer than what you need. Its all about springing pieces into each other . Not to shill but I like my dewalt double bevel 12 inch
>>
File: IMG_3836.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3836.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>916482
that's for framing rafters. you can't set the square, hold the square, and cut with a circular saw with enough precision to do trim work... Or maybe your standards are low enough that you can?
>>
>>916526
you don't fucking make butt joints on inner corners. ishygddt. faggot. its like you enjoy making your work look like utter shit or something. or wait. your one of those fucks who fills his joints in with plaster or worse. fucking caulk.
>>
>>916787
2nd. That's a great framing tool, OP.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.