[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are embedded systems welcome here? I'm looking to buy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: photon-new-3e010e9f.jpg (96 KB, 300x556) Image search: [Google]
photon-new-3e010e9f.jpg
96 KB, 300x556
Are embedded systems welcome here?

I'm looking to buy my first development board,
and I've been looking at Particle Photon (pic rel):
https://www.particle.io/

Or Nucleo something, like F401.

I'd prefer it to have WiFi capabilities.

Can someone help a newbie out?
>>
>>916430
I honestly don't know much but I have an Arduino that I'm just starting out on.
Some anons here will probably shit on it for being a meme board but who cares.
It's got a fuck ton of support and parts for it.
>>
>>916430
you want wifi capabilities?
Go with the Raspberry Pi
or the LinkItOne
The raspberry is getting cheaper
the linkitone is a bit out of pocket, but its works with a lot of the native Arduino stuff. API and Shields. LinkItOne is really powerful for being small. But if you're Just starting i suggest Arduino all the way. It's great to get started in the field of embedded systems
>>
also make sure to check out maker sites! They always have available projects that one could get started in. Instructables is one good example.

Don't be afraid to ask questions.
But don't be stupid and not try to figure it out for yourself first.

General rule of thumb: try to debug it yourself first and google. 9 times out of 10 the answers are already answered. Look before you ask something that's already been asked. I can't emphasize this enough. You'll get looked down on if you newfag too hard.
>>
>>916617
arduinos are fine to start with, but the price is a little silly. After learning the basics, you will be MUCH happier when you move off of them.

i still use atMega328p chips which are the brain of the arduino. They are fantastic
>>
>>917174
I use chinese arduino clones from aliexpress, and they are so cheap I have them all over the place, and if I want test something I just grab one of them like any other component. If I want to leave it someplace, I can just plug in some 9v/12v power source or just power it from USB cable and I'm good to go. I installed a thermoelement at a wood oven for later use a while back, and to see how it works I just grabbed UNO clone, LCD display and a MAX6675 and one of those cell phone battery packs and it just works, and it only took around 5 minutes. As it turns out, it doesn't draw enough juice to completely empty the battery so I can just hit the powerbank's power button and it displays the temperature for a few seconds without completely draining the thing over time so I just left it there until I decide what the final setup will be.

As for wifi, ESP8266 is pretty nice for its price. Can be programmed with Arduino IDE, and some models have usb connectors so no need to mess with USB-FTDI pins. The manufacturer's documentation is pretty much shit, but luckily there are hobbyist community out there who report their successes and failures with it so you can learn from them.
>>
Patrickhooddaniel in youtube has good avr tutorials.
>>
I want a reason to get one of these
>>
>>918427
Better off getting pi 0. A lot cheaper and small form factor.
>>
>>916622
>>you want wifi capabilities?
>>Go with the Raspberry Pi
Not for everything, the ESP8266/NodeMCU is amazing for $10USD
The Pi takes too long to set up and get going and requires sd cards, power supplies, adapters etc..(inb4 they are cheap)
>>
>>918427
>>918433
2 different devices for 2 different things
>>
>>916430
OP stay away from anything Intel makes, their dev boards are utter trash!
iv been through their galileo, and edison devices and bined
>>
File: 1406783214978.gif (3 MB, 305x398) Image search: [Google]
1406783214978.gif
3 MB, 305x398
>>918433
>pi 0
>same problem of the Pi when it first released
vaporware. the first few that were made are now being sold for a ridiculous price on ebay. It's like a new generation of scalpers for popular computer toys.
Get one if you can get one for $10 or less.
>>
>>918466
> vaporware
> hardware
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.