[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Metal Smithing / Metal Working
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6
File: IMG_7899.jpg (191 KB, 900x649) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7899.jpg
191 KB, 900x649
First time here so I apologize if this is the wrong board to be posting my question.
I'm a college student and I want to begin a hobby that I enjoy but can earn some extra money. I love to work with my hands and I've been looking at metal beads, tags, etc.
From what I can tell, its basically called metal smithing or metal working. I want to begin making small little keychain or necklace things like pic related. What tools do I need in the beginning as an absolute amateur to begin? I can only think of the basics such as sandpaper and some type of saw.
I'm uncertain if DIY has any experience with this and I apologize if this isn't the appropriate board. If it isn't then please direct me to the appropriate board so I may post there.
Posting a few more pics so you can get the general idea of what I wish to make.
>>
If you want money, go to work.
Hobbies are generally money sinks, unless you're pretty good, which in turn takes time and money.
>>
File: Screenshot_20151214-220309~01.png (1 MB, 1355x1417) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20151214-220309~01.png
1 MB, 1355x1417
>>
File: piggy.png (1 MB, 1440x1422) Image search: [Google]
piggy.png
1 MB, 1440x1422
>>
>>916397
I am working, this is just going to be a hobby that I enjoy. If I sell stuff, cool . If not, oh well, I'll still enjoy my hobby.
>>
I'd say an angle grinder, a band saw and a couple files would be a good start.
Hell you could even build a brake drum forge or something, blacksmithing is fun as hell.
>>
>>916447
In place of an angle grinder would I be able to use a jewelers saw? I'm think of working with stuff only 1/2" inch thick in the beginners. But I will get an angle grinder and a band saw once I begin with metal bigger than an inch, but I will definitely make and learn how to use a forge!
But definitely thinking of getting a jewelers saw and some files with sandpaper to shape the metal for basics.
I'm think of working with brass and copper at first. Or is there a cheaper metal that I can work with?
>>
What's the easiest way to melt aluminum?

I'm leaving in a week, so if possible I don't really want a huge investment.
>>
>>916487
Why do you need to melt aluminum if you're leaving ?
>>
>>916499
My boss and I are pretty good friends, and we're both DIY type of guys. I'd like to cast a little personalized thing that he can put on his desk after I go. It only needs to be a rough first step, I have all the tools to clean it up and polish it.

I've even got the casting process down, I just dont have a high enough heat source to do aluminum. Zinc looks kinda dull.
>>
>>916487

a really hot campfire
>>
>>916503

dig a small pit in the ground
dig a small side tunnel to the surface
put hair dryer on tunnel hole
start fire in pit, fill with wood/charcoal
turn on dryer
>>
>>916503
The quickest cheapest and easiest way to make a forge that in think of from the top of my head is one in the ground.
Basically dig a hole , line it with bricks, pour charcoal in there , run a vacuum set on blow from one side of the hole and there. Oh and you'll need a crucible to melt the aluminium then. The crucible you could most likely find a way to build a cheap one or make one that can withstand heat.
Here's a video showing the type of forge I'm speaking about, not the best but it'll get the job done. The crucible however. I have no idea.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ervAg4plXDI
The guy starts exposing around 6:10.
>>
>>916509
I'm assuming I can use a small steel container, I doubt an Africa style forge will get hot enough to melt it. Two bolts on the side, big long rod with two hooks on the end to lift it and another rod to pour it.

Thank you though guys I never actually considered digging a hole.
>>
>>916510
I don't see why not, I'm sure if you keep you're eye on it then you'll be fine. Just watch a couple of videos on YouTube about smelting and I'm sure you'll understand the procedures and how they do it. I've personally never done it but have seen tons of videos.
Mind contributing to the question of the thread ?
Kind of looking for advice on tools I need as basics for the type of work I want. A lot of sites I'm going to are recommending tools for wire metal working and such for girly jewelry.
>>
>>916514
Sure, I dont specialize in metals by any means but I do work with it occasionally.

Off the top of my head:
>Tin Snips
>Files of all shapes and sizes
>Bench Vise
>Bench Grinder (with wire brush attachment)
>Angle Grinder
>Drill Press
>Different types of clamps, etc
>Dremel

That should be a solid start. More advanced:

>Lathe
>Propane torch
>Sandblaster
>(Maybe) tap and die
>Forge
>Tongs tongs tongs
>Crucibles
>Sheet metal benders and cutters
>Welders
>Oxy/Ace torch

The first 4 items should really get you started, plus a dremel.
>>
>>916519
Thank you !
Mind seeing is this is good for the bare basics ?
> jewelers saw
> assortment of files
> assortment of sandpaper
> dremel ?
> clamps

Don't really have a ton of money so I dont mind putting in the labor. Going to be working with brass and copper to practice and maybe some metal found at a hardware store.

Definitely wanting to invest in a decent metal lathe to make other things.
>>
File: 20151218_150635.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20151218_150635.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Here is my contraption to melt aluminium. It's just an old water pressure tank with two pipes welded in. A crucible is lowered from the top and it doubles as a lid. It runs of waste oil. And suddenly I'm out of waste oil when usually the garage is full of old oil. Never expected this to happen :/
Diesel is no fuel for it... Too rough.
>>
Look into a portable jewelry tool kit. It will have a small anvil and other things. They range in size from pocket units to a small tool box. You can also get a jeweler's torch set that works as a small welder.
>>
I'll high-jack this thread for a quick question, what kinds of steel should I be looking at for a pry-type tool with scraping edge?
>>
>>916806
I'll have to look into them, thank you.
From what prices do they vary? Don't have much money right now. I'm just trying to get the bare essentials.
>>916856
Umm, whatever metal pry bars are made of? That's the only type of metal I can think of.
>>
File: CopperPrice.jpg (74 KB, 746x566) Image search: [Google]
CopperPrice.jpg
74 KB, 746x566
I want to make brass, where can I find copper at for $2 per lb?
>>
File: JewPrices.jpg (131 KB, 1112x792) Image search: [Google]
JewPrices.jpg
131 KB, 1112x792
>$16.99 for 3lbs of zinc
http://www.amazon.com/Roto-Metals-Zinc-Ingot-99-7/dp/B001QUXB04/ref=pd_sim_328_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=11wO9ygu3zL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=063JFB2B1E3Q1VD5JCWY
>$26.85 for 1" Inch thick 12"inch long brass rod
https://www.metalsdepot.com/products/brass2.phtml?page=round&LimAcc=%20&aident=
>$60+ for 1"Inch thick 12"inch long copper rod
http://www.sequoia-brass-copper.com/alloy-101-ofe-ofhc-copper-round-rod.html
>How hard am I being jewed? Are these normal prices on these metals? $60+ for a little rod of copper?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXeCYmAQg6U
What refractory should I use for melting steel? Any tips for melting and casting steel?
>>
>>916921
No idea at all. Look around on google. Sorry.
>>916926
Oh shit, the Jew is real.
>>916931
Why can't you use a normal forge ? There are tons of diy forges on YouTube. For steel specifically, I have no idea.
>>
There have been only two replies to the original question. Is this how slow it is on DIY ?
>>
>>916926
Fucking lol, you can go to the bank and get about 2 dollars in pennies for a pound of zinc. They're literally just barely plated in copper, so just skim the junk off the top.
>>
>>916939
Everyone can forge steel, it requires a lvl 99 smithing skillcape to smelt steel. Link related is smelting steel like a gent.
>>
>>917025
Is there a way to effectively harvest the copper instead of having it melt away into oblivion?
>>
>>916942
> What tools do I need in the beginning as an absolute amateur to begin?
I literally started out by heating an old knife with the kitchen stove until it was orange then I hit it with a claw hammer using an old pot as a ghetto anvil. I used some bbq tongs or something to hold the knife because it was getting too hot to touch.
>metal
>fire
>hammer
>pot/fryingpan for anvil
Got yourself the most basic blacksmithing tools
>>
>>917040
>Is there a way to effectively harvest the copper instead of having it melt away into oblivion?
It has a significantly higher melting point than pure aluminum; buy or make a crucible. Also casting is fun but more expensive to maintain. I prefer forging for the craftsmanship.
My last crucible recently died on me in an iron smelt, but harvested brass and carbon steel smelts before. I used about 70% kaolinite, 10% ball clay, 20% kyanite. I think it works well but I'd perhaps I'd add 80% kaolinite and no ball clay. Some people also like to use the graphite clay crucible, but since I had kyanite on hand i used it instead.
>>
>>917044
So if I smelt pennies the copper and zinc will separate?
>>
>>917044
Wait, if you melt pennies, wouldn't it make brass? Brass is made of zinc and copper.
>>
>>917045
>So if I smelt pennies the copper and zinc will separate?
Zinc will boil before it can get hot enough to melt copper, hence why its dangerous to forge galvanized components and create zinc oxide fumes which are considered pretty dangerous. Under about 800 degrees Celsius you'll get small amounts of brass, like above guy noted, but its negligible.
>>
>>917053
So basically I can get brass by melting pennies, but its dangerous. Ill just do it outside wearing my GP-5 gas mask.
>>
>>917043
The question is about metal working, not blacksmithing.
>>
>>917162
>From what I can tell, its basically called metal smithing or metal working. I want to begin making small little keychain or necklace things like pic related.
>implying blacksmithing cant make pic related>>916396
>>
>>917172
Blacksmithing can, however its asking about metalworking. Not blacksmithing.
>>
I'm not saying it's a guarantee, but if you're coming here for advice instead of doing actual research, you're probably not going to end up doing well.
>>
>>917277
I'm still doing research, I'm just wondering if anyone on here has done some similar stuff.
>>
>>917025
>>917040
Wait, isn't "defacing" currency a federal offence?
>>
>>917990
Yeah, but what's gonna happen if you melt $2 of pennies? The secret service will show up?

That law exists to prevent any sort of business abuse of the currency at the government's expense.
>>
>>916921
>>916926
Protip OP, don't try melting zinc unless you know what you're doing. Zinc fumes are toxic and can kill you.

If you really want to try smelting some metal, try bronze. Safer, cheaper, and in my opinion looks nicer
>>
>>919190
>Yeah, but what's gonna happen if you melt $2 of pennies? The secret service will show up?

The current US law is that it is legal to destroy or melt currency IN the US. It is not legal to export it for melting.

If you are starting out metalcasting, you can occasionally find pewter at GoodWill or Salvation Army. Pewter melts at stovetop temperatures and can be cast in plaster of paris molds.

If you want to do jewelry, then I'd start with Delft clay molds and silver. Ag is cheap and melts easily with a Mapp torch.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.