[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you call pipe that has a few inches of threading on the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6
File: 285670152_986.jpg (99 KB, 1217x853) Image search: [Google]
285670152_986.jpg
99 KB, 1217x853
What do you call pipe that has a few inches of threading on the inside at the end?
>>
>>915938
tapped
>>
>>915938
>What do you call pipe that has a few inches of threading on the inside at the end?

I don't know - what do you call pipe that has a few inches of threading on the inside at the end?
>>
>>915938
>>915946
The start of a bomb.
>>
>>915938
>What do you call pipe that has a few inches of threading on the inside at the end?
I've never seen any stock material made this way.
It might be more helpful to indicate what you intend to use it for.
>>
I shall call it James.
>>
>>915938

It's called "pipe that has a few inches of threading on the inside at the end".
>>
File: RHTC_1.png (41 KB, 480x344) Image search: [Google]
RHTC_1.png
41 KB, 480x344
>>
Wow what a sexist naming convention.
>>
File: a-bomb-JC.png (244 KB, 320x276) Image search: [Google]
a-bomb-JC.png
244 KB, 320x276
>>915956
A bomb
>>
File: Jock.jpg (188 KB, 521x800) Image search: [Google]
Jock.jpg
188 KB, 521x800
>>916019

OH MY GOD JC A BOMB
>>
>>916018

I like how feminists aren't targeting this instead of stand up pissing
>>
>>916018
It's only sexist if you say one is better. Unfortunately the male ended pipe is obviously far superior, so...
>>
>>916052
No its not, those exposed threads get buggered up quite easily.
>>
>>916018
People like you are t he reason we have to call "ballcocks" "float valves" now. I've actually heard of plumbers who charged extra for the latter name instead of the former.
>>
>>916053
Not if you're careful and always use a protective sleeve of some sort. I'm thinking the perfect way to keep those threads nice would be to keep them screwed tightly into the matching female threads, but then the protective sleeve would just be a bother.
>>
>>916053
Only because some fuckin' jew feminist made us cut the perfectly good pipe off the end so it fits into her stupid jew hole.

In Europe and everywhere else sane in the world, men just solder their pipes together. Only america is fucked up enough that male pipes need to have threads cut in them.
>>
>>916060
lol right. I'm sure you solder all your high pressure lines in Yurop.
>>
File: PEX-safe_fhb-blog.jpg (84 KB, 550x465) Image search: [Google]
PEX-safe_fhb-blog.jpg
84 KB, 550x465
>>916060
also no one solders in 'Merica anymore.
>>
>>916063
Is that what some plumbing in a group of flats or something looks like? Sending out hot and cold to all the apartments?
>>
>>915946
A plug away from not being a pipe!
>>
>>916078
>group of flats
I'm pretty sure he's not talking about women's shoes
>>
>>916078
they totally have wooden appertment buildings in murrica
>>
>>916078
It's essentially applying electrical distribution principal to a water system. A central box with home runs for each line.
>>
>>916115

What are the advantages aside from paying the plumber significantly more to run all those damn lines?

Residential pressure fluctuations generally go unnoticed at the appliance unless you have cookie cutter grade plumbing.
>>
>>916152
PEX is super fast and easy for any home depot parking lot mexican to install.
>>
>>916062
circumcision joke you dunce
>>
>>916160
i realize that but it was poorly worded and trying too hard.
>>
>>916063
>shows pic with soldered copper pipe supply PEX
>claims no one solders
We get it, you're not skilled.
Or you could be me, a skilled American who solders like a pro.
>>
>>916173
Picture is for ants but those seem like sharkbite fittings.
>>
>>916060
Threaded pipe is used in Europe just as much as brazed/soldered pipe.

High pressure applications require it.

>>915938
Literally threaded pipe. That's it.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piping_and_plumbing_fitting

>>916152
There isn't. The only application I've seen with such nonsense is underfloor heating where there is a high potential for heat energy loss, so a shorter flow and return system would improve performance.
>>
>>915938
Tapped, or female. It's definitely not conventional, so good luck finding pre threaded pipe or connectors relatively cheap. Why not just use a standard threaded pipe and a coupling?
>>
>>916152

PEX seems to have a faster install, can be curved around obstacles much easier compared to copper pipe resulting in less potential failing joints, and as said before is easy to install.

On the other hand it takes specific tools and fittings to do just this work, unlike copper which is just a torch, solder, and a deburring tool.

But I'm just a carpenter that watches this shit while im on sites so thats just the things ive seen and talked to plumbers about
>>
>>916152
Also PEX is waaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than copper.
>>
>>916018
You make light, but shit like that is pretty common....
>Be on a ladder in an office building without tools, just tracing FPB out. Ask for helper to pass me his dykes.
>Landwhale hears me and freaks the fuck out, and I get kicked off the job and I have to write an apology letter so our company isn't kicked off/threatened with harassment.
And then....
>Install some new Aerco boilers in da hood for a shitty school in a shitty school district.
>3 boilers, 1 takes in all header temps, pump statuses, and remote set point.
>This is the master, front LCD says master, other two say slave on the screen.
The jiggaboo "building engineer" janitors cause a massive ruckus over this, we end up having to buy and bolt custom plates on the front over the LCD that say leader and follower.
Recently, still caught up in it....
>Same district, a high up monkey found out what the MS in MSTP stood for and demanded that we change what it stands for and is still unhappy because we haven't placated him despite us telling him and showing him it's a technical term that's been around for decades.
>>
>>915938
Jim?
>>
internally threaded pipe
>>
A pipe coupler?
>>
>>915938
What do you call pipe that has a few inches of threading on the inside at the end?
Whatever you want, it won't hear you
>>
>>915938
protip: in the machinist/engineering world, "pipe" usually refers to a cylinder that is used to transport gas or liquids on the inside, and "tube" is used to indicate a structural member.
So you might have better luck if you search Google for "internally threaded tube" rather than "internally threaded pipe".

Also, pipe almost always has tapered threads that are pretty much useless for structural stuff. Tapered threads always work loose if they are usd for structural pieces. What you would want for structural use is "straight" or machine threads....
>>
>>916578
>On the other hand it takes specific tools and fittings to do just this work, unlike copper which is just a torch, solder, and a deburring tool.

You need basically the exact same shit.

>something to cut it
>a joint piece
>something to connect pipe to joint piece
>something to activate what connects joint to piece

Pex is a godsend, fuck copper.
>>
>>916248
They are.
>>
>>917724
I'm still scared of it and plastic products in my water. Luckily I already got copper so hopefully it's got life enough left in it, though it is like 40 years old by now.
>>
>>917733

Possible health effects. There was controversy in California during the 2000s about health concerns. Several groups blocked adoption of PEX for concerns about chemicals getting into the water, either from chemicals outside the pipes, or from chemicals inside the pipes such as methyl tertiary butyl ether and tertiary butyl alcohol.[20] These concerns delayed statewide adoption of PEX for almost a decade. After substantial "back-and-forth legal wrangling", which was described as a "judicial rollercoaster", the disputing groups came to a consensus, and California permitted use of PEX in all occupancies.[21][22] An environmental impact report and subsequent studies determined there were no causes for concerns about public health from use of PEX piping.[21]

http://www.pmmag.com/articles/94205-pipe-rollercoaster?v=preview

If even Commiefornia allows it, it can't be that bad. Really though, the stuff is great to work with. The only issue is when lazy/cheap fucks don't put proper tie downs on the pipes so the bounce like crazy when the water is on. That's what causes that thwomp thwomp in the walls.
>>
i like to think of archimedes screw when thinking of internally threaded pipes.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.