[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ello diy, I've made this teething ring for my niece and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_2362.jpg (115 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2362.jpg
115 KB, 480x640
Ello diy, I've made this teething ring for my niece and was wondering what I should treat it with considering its gonna be chewed on by a babby.

Also considering it would look fucking gorgeous with a shine.
>>
Why type of wood is it? A lot of common woods (such as Oak) are mildly toxic, while some others (Yew) can be very toxic, especially to small children.

Maple is extremely non-toxic to humans, and has a dense, hard grain structure to boot so you can be relatively sure that splinters don't break off in the kid's mouth.

If the wood is sufficiently non-toxic I'd leave it bare, if it's not then I'd do a thick layer of polyurethane or something else that sits on top of the wood.
>>
>>915418
Its tough identifying wood, but I'm getting a walnut vibe.
>>
>>915416
Mineral oil is what most people use on wooden salad bowls or kitchen pencils. Don't use baby oil because there are fragrances and other crap added to the mineral oil.
Mineral oil does not dry. And requires additional coats to protect the wood.

Another alternative is to use boiled linseed oil and allow it to dry thoroughly. Then use paraffin wax to coat the wood. Once dried the BLo is non-toxic and will harden the wood. The paraffin wax creates a nice smooth waterproof seal.
>>
>>915416
Took it to a bloke, says its teak. Fine to chew on as is but it tastes like a leather couch. :s
>>
>>915447
Could it be flavoured with some kind of fruit oil?
>>
>>915440
By the time boiled linseed oil "dries thoroughly" she'll have a good $10 from the tooth fairy already...
>>
File: identifying-wood.jpg (92 KB, 500x661) Image search: [Google]
identifying-wood.jpg
92 KB, 500x661
>>915423
obligatory
>>
>makes teeting ring out of wood
>worried about treating it safely for baby mouth
>not worried about baby chewing it and swallowing splinters

you, are a dumbshit you know this?
>>
>>915668
Its a hard wood you fanny, theres all kinds of wood teething rings.

>>915551
I was thinking about soaking it in honey for a couple days desu.
>>
>>915668
>you, are a dumbshit you know this?
Oh the irony.
>>
>>915564
Linseed oil dries slow
Boiled linseed oil drys fast.
Just make sure the temperature is above 79 degrees.
>>
The goto for wooden childrens toys is mineral oil.

I would look for a purified "cutting board" or food quality mineral oil.
>>
>>915416
Unless you coat it with stainless steel it doesn't matter what you put on it, as long as it's safe for human consumption. The kid will go right through whatever you use. Brand new tiny teeth are sharp! Source: I have a nine month old. I'd post pics of what my four year old did to his crib rails, but I'm too lazy to go do it. Don't worry, he's fine, no brain damage at all, just like Daddy.
>>
>>915679
>theres all kinds of wood teething rings.
Not in the states anymore. A combination of fear-mongering based marketing, overly litigious ass hats, and grieving parents grasping at something to blame ruined lots for us.
>>
>>915731
I have a two year old and I don't see the loss of wooden teething rings as an assault on muh freedoms. Though a quick google search (i know /diy/ can't do this) shows that people are selling them on etsy, so maybe they're still available.

OP, I wouldn't recommend giving that to a babby to chew on, but once they're older you could make a set of stacking rings.
>>
>>915712
I'm uncertain on the boiled, most boiled has toxic chemical dryers which can leave trace amounts behind. you can also buy the food version (usually called flaxseed oil for food) and boil it yourself and then coat the wood. will take a LOT longer to dry (like a month) but is totally food safe. It's not very protective against scratches etc. though.

I would actually go with shellac. shellac will chip, but is also an ingredient in candy shells, so it's non toxic.
>>
>>915801
>>915731

Oh, and I think it's probably the occasional splinter incident that triggers litigious.
>>
>>915812
This, I use boiled linseed oil to clean up after my relief and etching ink. And theres warning signs all over the metal can(whether most of it because California's like but muh carcinogens)

Besides that shit stinks why would you want to put it in your mouth
>>
>>915416
>what I should treat it with
brandy obvs
>>
>>915984
To take away that "medicine taste" that the benedryl has, right?
>>
>>915731
>>915801
Wood is probably better than plastic, and its chemicals. Like that oestrogen-mimicking one. Girls are entering puberty prematurely enough already.
>>
I always used mineral oil form then pharmacy. It's in the laxative section, works great.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.