[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw don't know which direction I need to turn screw
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2
File: peter_pan_black_man.png (5 KB, 492x91) Image search: [Google]
peter_pan_black_man.png
5 KB, 492x91
>tfw don't know difference between watts and volts
>tfw can't change a tyre

I am no man.
>>
>>915206
Most screws are clockwise in, counterclockwise out
Watts are volts times amps
Changing a tire is 4-7 nuts, just like you did the screws
>>
>>915206
>tyre, not tire

gtfo eurofag.
>>
>>915206
for screws, leftie loosie, rightie tightie. leftie is counterclockwise
>>
>>915206
Take your right hand for a right handed screw. They are almost all right handed. Some bike nuts and other weird things are left.

Anyway right hand. Make a fist. Stick your thumb out. Point your thumb the way you want it to go then turn your hand to move your fingertips towards your wrist. Thats the way to turn the screw.. This isn't a big deal when your looking head on but when you're. Working on a bolt you can't see and is underneath or something it's more helpful.
>>
>>915622
General rule of thumb is that it's a right hand thread unless it's on something meant to turn in a way that would loosen the screws. So (left if I think correctly) pedal on a bike or the possibly the bolts holding the blade in an grass clipper.
>>
alright thanks for helping me out guys.
>>
/diy/ is a quest towards manhood.
One day we may all ascend to the realm of Hank Hill.
>>
>>915219
Dont forget to break he lugnuts before you jack the vehicle or you're going to have a bad time.

Putting the nuts back on try to do them in a star pattern. Lower the vehicle and give em another round of tightening.
>>
>>915250
valuable contribution my overweight friend!
>>
>>915937
Or Walter White.
>>
>>915219
Lefty loosey retard. Why do you need to complicate things?
>>
>>916689
Every time i fix something for free that a tradesman quoted 1000$+ in labour. More often than not, by just cutting out a broken part, replacing a 10c o-ring or hitting it.
>>
File: giphy.gif (992 KB, 500x225) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
992 KB, 500x225
>>916698
Fug. Forgot gif.
>>
>>916698
Labor quotes like that aren't about how hard something is, they're for the person taking their time away from another job that could potentially be more profitable. If I was an hvac guy I'd charge $100 to change a furnace filter, on top of show up fee. Not because I want to, or because I think it's fair, but because I might miss an opportunity to recharge a cooling system or fix a non ignition issue and make much more than that.
>>
>>916045
No problem mohammedic servant! Say hello to Mohammed and his 'refugee' friends for me!
>>
A volt is an amount of charge and a watt is an amount of work. Most people don't know that though unless you've taken physics
>>
>>917016
Well, coulombs are charge, volts are potential energy
But you're pretty much right
>>
>>915206
"Righty Tighty Lefty Loosey" is a good rule to follow.

The water analogy works. "Voltage" can be thought of as the "Static Pressure" of electrons, like the water pressure in a tank.

"Current" Is the speed at which electrons are moving through a medium, like flow-rate in a hose or pipe.

"Wattage", or more accurately, power, is what you get when you multiply the voltage and current. Think of like a flowing pressure.

>tfw can't change a tyre
Try spelling it right, first.
>>
>there are people who don't know which way to turn a screw

It baffles me.
>>
>>915206

Don't feel bad OP. you could become a mechanical engineer or a computer scientist
>>
>>915206
I can hopefully make you feel even worse (this is 4chan after all) by noting that my girlfriend knows this. (quite impossible since this is 4chan but, hey, miracles happen).
>>
>>917072
Amps?
>>
>>917072
So it's extremely embarrassing because I'm a lighting guy, but seriously--what is the relationship between the output of a lightbulb (or wattage of any resistive load) and the resistance it puts on the circuit?

Higher wattage bulbs have lower resistance--but why? How do they take the same current (120v AC) and turn it into more light?

How does the lightbulb "know" what wattage to draw?

>>917764
Are a measure of current
>>
>>917772
the wattage listed on an incandescent lightbulb is a function of the anticipated voltage and its nominal resistance.
lets say you want to design a 200 watt bulb, you know you're going to be selling it in the US which uses 120 volts AC RMS.
you need to pick an R so that you have your desired based on your anticipated V.
P=V*I
200=120*R
R = 1.67 ohms
so based on the physical properties of tungsten you choose a filament diameter and length to meet your desired resistance (and color temperature, which is set by how hot the filament gets, and the heat changes the resistance and so on). the bulb doesn't "know" anything, if you give it higher voltage, ohms law dictates that it will draw more current, and thus burn hotter and brighter.

LED drivers do have electronics that monitors the current as LED lights have a fairly thin margin of optimal current and are easily damaged by overcurrent.
>>
>>917807
Thank you anon, I think it's sinking in.

Honestly I wish I'd never heard of the water analogy, there's so many dead ends.
>so the voltage is like carrying a bucket of water up a hill
>you pour it in the pipe and that's like current
>and if you burst the pipe, the breaker flips
God dammit
>>
>>917002

>charging a premium rate for pleb work because "i can make more money doing other things."

While it is unfair to the customer, anyone that agrees to that shit probably deserves the shafting.

I can't charge someone $85,000 for cutting an 8th of an acre of lawn because "what if someone wants a retaining wall?"
>>
>>917832
>not charging what the market will bear

There are some jobs that are worth paying twice as much to ensure they're done right, and quickly. And frankly, if you can't operate a drill or a crescent wrench, you deserve to be fleeced.
>>
>>917828
Voltage over a resistance creates a current. That's literally what a resistance does, creates current. That's thing to know number one.
Power/wattage isn't real it's made up you can't measure it, it's like speed, you can't measure speed, you can only measure distance and time then calculate speed.

Forget the water shite it will only hold you back.

Just know that power is useful because you can have a low voltage and high current or a high voltage and a low current, if you measured only one property you would be deceived, power gives you a way to compare the total energy essentially, that's all it is.
Power isn't real, that's number two.
Learn your equations
V=i*r, p=i*v that's number three thing to know.
There you have the fundamentals of electricity
>>
>>917841

>charging what the market will bear.

Totally different principal from the initial point.
>>
>>917866
ty for putting up with my retardation. Most of my practical knowledge comes from hasty conversations with old guys on the tail gate of trucks, so I very much want to break from the silly analogies.

Why does a high resistance create a current? Isn't current the strongest when you (for example) cross a phase and the neutral? Doesn't this create a very high current that damages the distribution equipment (ie, melting connectors and burning up insulation)?

>>917869
But this is why "charging 85k to mow a lawn" is a shit analogy and a strawman. The market will not bear it. It's one thing if you're holding back the necessities of life to squeeze the last dollar out of somebody, but most people can mow their own lawn or hire some stupid neighbor kid to do it for three bucks.
>>
>>917832
>not understanding that your time and experience is worth something.
if you hire an hvac guy to change a furnace filter then you pay their full rate because their time is worth it even if the job is not.

would you go to a surgeon to trim your fucking toenails? if you did they'd charge you just as much for their time as if you were getting a fucking kidney put in.
>>
>>915206
Righty Tighty
Lefty Loosey
>>
>>917876
>But this is why "charging 85k to mow a lawn" is a shit analogy and a strawman. The market will not bear it. It's one thing if you're holding back the necessities of life to squeeze the last dollar out of somebody, but most people can mow their own lawn or hire some stupid neighbor kid to do it for three bucks.
And I would imagine the market also wont bear 100 bucks plus show up fee for changing a furnace filter too. Since most people can change their own furnace filter or hire some stupid neighbor kid to do it for three bucks.
>>
>>917876
>>917876
>Why does a high resistance create a current
It doesn't.

Voltage over *any* resistance creates current. A low resistance creates a high current, and vice versa.

This is expressed as one of the power laws: V=IR ; Voltage (V) = Current (I) times Resistance (R).

Current is "I" because Charge already took "C".

In your wall socket, there's already a a voltage across a resistance: the resistance is the plastic and the air of the socket. This is measured in billions of ohms, which means we should expect a current of billionths of amps. What we actually get is a departure from perfectly-spherical-cow land, and a resistance so high that no electrons can travel at all, giving us a zero current.

When we replace this air and plastic with a one-Ohm paperclip, we suddenly get a very low resistance and a very high current. This quickly leads to something going bang.
>>
>>917876

Well I guess this is where my business model differs to most people as while I do have a flat rate for my guys I then charge based on the requirements of the job.

So when I am just dropping off a guy to mow a lawn and come back for him, the mower and the clippings I don't charge the same as if I were directing an excavator, 6 dump trucks and 35 guys.

But then again I am in a market where you have to be significantly more flexible and if you only stick to your specialization the work is only on occasion.
>>
>>916694
That makes no sense. Things don't spin "left" or "right"
>>
>>918264
most of the time you are screwing something below your eyes. points on the top of your driver will be moving to the left when spinning counter-clockwise.
>>
>>915206
You also can't spell tire.
>>
>>915206
righty tighty, lefty loosey

Watts = Power, Voltage = Potential

>tfw can't change a car tyre
I can change a bike tyre alright
>>
>>917002
>note to self
>cover filler with poison ivy and spiders
>>
>>918264
The steering wheel in your car does, retard.
>>
>>919045
Exactly this.
I learned how to use a screwdriver long before I learned to drive so I actually have to pretend to tighten or loosen a screw in order to figure out how to turn the right way when I'm driving
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.