[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /diy/. This is my first post here so I apologize if this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (328 KB, 1000x831) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
328 KB, 1000x831
Hello /diy/. This is my first post here so I apologize if this is a repeating thread. I've been wanting to get into woodworking lately but have no idea where to start. I'm looking up schools but they're out of state or they're online schools and have bad reviews. Where do you guys suggest I learn some basic wood working skills? Where did some of you wood workers learn from?
>>
Schools for woodworking are if you want to be a professional cabinet maker or have a lot of time and money to waste.

Like any other skill, the best way to learn it is to just jump in. Get some books at your local library for technical info and watch some youtube videos for hands on info.

I learned in middle school wood shop. That was mostly safety oriented and machine operations.
>>
>>914968
Youtube has hundreds of woodworking channels
Some focus on power tools and some focus on hand tools
What do you want to do specifically?
>>
>I've been wanting to get into woodworking lately but have no idea where to start.

A decent table saw with a cast iron top and a solid fence is the absolute best way to start and will encourage you to be creative, have more fun, and raise your expectations when it comes to your own projects. I played around with wood for so long without one and it was tremendously frustrating not even having a way to make a dead accurate cut. I might have quit altogether.

You can get an old Craftsman on craigslist or what not for $200 or less though honestly sometimes they don't come with riving knives and that's bad news. Basically, just get a table saw with a riving knife.
>>
>>914968
Stores like woodcraft give classes.
But really op go join the carpenters Union as an apprentice
>>
>>914968
Watched New Yankee Workshop and learned a lot from there.

http :// www normstools com / index shtml

That's a great resource for figuring out what kind of tools to get.

For my table saw, I found an old Delta 10-inch on Craigslist. I wanted a Unisaw, but I just don't have the space for it yet. But if you get a table saw, then get one that's as solid as possible. Don't get one that sits on top of a table, or a contractor's saw. They're too unsteady and the blades vibrate too much. Belt-drive is a must on table saws

Get to know and love routers. They're the single most versatile tool in a shop. With the right jigs, you can use a router to cut dados, cut dovetails, cut box-joints, plane surfaces, joint surfaces, make mortises and tenons, and all sorts of other things. As I said, easily the most versatile tool

A good drill press is always handy, but not completely necessary at first. The same goes for a bandsaw. If you purchase a bandsaw, then save up for one. Get at least a 17-incher. The difference between that one and a 14-inch saw is too great to be ignored. I can barely resaw 6-inch boards with my 14-inch bandsaw, but with a 17-inch one, I would be able to resaw boards up to a foot wide, which would be great for things like bookmatching.

A planer and a jointer are useful. If you get a Jointer, get one that has as long a bed as possible. The price difference between a 6-inch jointer with a 3-foot bed and an 8-inch jointer with a 6-foot bed is pretty steep, but if you're serious about doing your own woodworking, then you'll be happier in the long run.

Clamps are a must as well. They pay for themselves almost immediately.

Miter saws are great, too. If you can find one, get one that has a sliding action. It makes short work of wider boards (my 10-inch saw can barely cut an 8-inch board, simply because it can't slide).

So, watch a lot of Norm Abrams, search for youtubers (Matthias Wandel, for instance), and just jump on in.
>>
>>915290
Also, one last thing: Find a decent hardwood supplier near you. Whether it's an actual lumber and woodworking store or a sawmill, just avoid going to Lowes or Home Depot for your lumber. Unless you're fine with sticking with construction grade crap, that is. If you plan on making nice things, then get your lumber elsewhere.
>>
File: decal2.jpg (1 MB, 762x800) Image search: [Google]
decal2.jpg
1 MB, 762x800
Don't underestimate hand tools. They are especially useful for a woodworker on a budget or with limited space. Me personally, I double down. I buy almost all of my tools used. Theres nothing quite like finding a hundred year old Disston panel saw (large cross cutting hand saw) in the back for a barn, playing $5 for it, taking it home and not even having to sharpen it cause it was built to last and held its edge like new.

Its even better with used power tools. You simply can not get the quality of tools they used to make today without spending an arm and a leg. A quality used Unisaw in good shape can easily be hard for under $1k (remember it is the Cadillac of cabinet saws) while something like they new would require a second mortgage on your house. For 'lesser' tools, like old Craftsman benchtop saws or some nice Delta 8 or 9 inch table saws you simply can't get anything like them anymore. Everything is extruded aluminum and plastic bases. Junk. If you drop a hammer on a modern aluminum table saw top it will never me true again. You basically never have to worry about a an old school saw. The top is cast iron. If its not cracked its still true as the day it came out of the milling machine.

Also, collecting old tools is a hobby unto itself. Very rewarding.
>>
Seeing as you have no idea I would say to get some of the cheapest power tools that you can.

While some of the folks here are right about certain tools being worth the extra cost and quality but you are just a beginner and would probably not notice or be able to even run a steady split.

I say grab a cheap Ryobi power tool kit that includes the sliding miter and grab another junk Ryobi table saw. Good enough for the home owner so good enough for you to get started to see if you even like woodworking and not be thousands into equipment to realize it.

Just simply a cheap Chinese ING-CO circular saw is what made me appreciate wood working after going for years with just a hand saw.

Splurge on a few clamps though and a bench vice though. Even if you hate woodworking they are good for every other field of work.
>>
>>914968
watched some youtube videos. had some saws from basic construction projects. bought 30 bucks of sandpaper. then just practice, and dont get discoraged with mistakes.

also, titebond 2 > everything else
>>
It helps if you have any background in construction or fabrication as you can hit the ground running.

I wouldn't bother with classes or workshops until you have a good solid fundamental understanding of design, fabrication, and the materials you're working with (I don't mean you need to have a qualification in design engineering).

Best place to look is YouTube. Watch videos by people like the wood whisperer, Jay Bates(I can't stand him but he does show lots of fundamentals), Mathias Wandel, Woodworking for Mere Mortals, John Heizs.

You'll learn a lot from those.

As for tools. Table saw. Don't buy cheap. Save money and get a good one second hand. I spent £400 on a second hand table saw and it's really good, but there are much better.
>>
File: il_570xN.495093817_50q3.jpg (32 KB, 570x380) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.495093817_50q3.jpg
32 KB, 570x380
Woodworking for mere mortals
Woodgears.ca
"how to make a (wood thing)"

That's how I learned. Pic related. I've made many ornate boxes, a cane with a hidden drawer in the handle (my design), rings, bowls, paper towel holders, etc.
>>
OP here. Thank you all for your input. I guess I forgot to mention I took carpentry class in high school and worked as a upholstery repair tech for 2 years. So I'm famlilar with power tools and working with wood. But I'll look into everything you guys said. Thanks again!
>>
>>914968
Just buy materials and build stuff, it's not hard
>>
>>914968
Check out izzy swan's short lived series the $50 shop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jywFqtZv-qg&list=PL49oqRPQBaYxUlWEoOhtqlRAxNpCf4m7h

I started out with a drill and circular saw, spending $20-50 on tools every two or three months.
http://woodgears.ca/beginner/
>>
>>914968
that photo is hilarious.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.