[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stick welder won't work
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6
File: 153062.jpg (19 KB, 422x390) Image search: [Google]
153062.jpg
19 KB, 422x390
People from /diy/, i need your help. I just started stick welding, but when I try to strike an arc it just sparks sometimes and can't get a nice arc going. Anybody know what the problem could be?

On the picture you can see my welding machine. The maximum is 160 Amp's and it's made for 230 volt. The diameter can vary from 2 till 4 mm.
>>
Might be a conduction issue

Make sure the connections are not isolated
>>
>>914923
Several factors can be at play here.
Are you on the right polarity?
What is the thickness of metal?
What type of metal are you trying to weld?
What electrodes are you using?

Some common mistakes. The usual, travel speed, angle and distance. Make sure you got those down pat.
>>
>>914923
partly it's because you suck, but mostly it's because your welder is the cheapest AC buzzbox that can be bought, these turds literally cannot keep a 6011 lit, and that's assuming you don't overheat it trying to arc up.

sucks to be you.
>>
>>914923

I'm surprised that the retarded drywaller fag hasn't replied to this thread.

He likes to give horribly wrong advice in any electrical thread
>>
Make sure your amperage is set to match the stick and thickness of metal you are using.

google has amperage chats if needed
>>
>>914923
Did you follow the duty cycles?
>>
>>914923
Heat up your rods in a oven. I've used that model before( under the hf brand) and they weld pretty good. Are you sure that you are all hooked up right? Not saying your stupid but a guy asked me why his lincoln was spattering and hey used the working clamp to hold the electrode and the whip to hold the work piece.
>>
>>915283
Holy fuck that's the best thing I've ever heard
>>
>>914923
It could simply be lack of practice. It can take time getting the touch right when you're first learning. Made only worse by not knowing what settings work best with the piece.
>>
>>915345
He is special... But essentially reversing the polarity so a ton of spatter
>>
File: Miller Electric Mfg Co.jpg (436 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
Miller Electric Mfg Co.jpg
436 KB, 1200x800
>>914923
You should upgrade your machine
>>
>>915086
>This is a very important aspect, if you don't know duty cycle of your welder look it up.

It's also possible that you're a bitch nigga who can't start an arc for shit and you'll never get better. Argon shielded Mig welders are your friend if thats the case.
>>
>>916943
>>916943
Don't buy Miller stuff. The quality is shit, the build quality is garbage and the people there don't even give a single fuck about the product. Hell, the managers don't even care. The cost to produce is close to nothing when you are getting charged roughly 400-500% over the cost.
>>
>>914923
OP, some combination of higher amps and/or smaller diameter stick should help.

I like the highest amps possible without burning right through the metal.

I've got a cheapy $99 Ironton welder (just for hobbies) that will work just fine. Don't listen to the buyfags that tell you to spend $1000. Start with lighter metal, more amps and then only turn it down when you burn through. Good luck!
>>
File: IMG_0015.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0015.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>917074
Do not listen to this faggot
>>
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 206x244) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 206x244
Because you bought a piece of shit welder I'm not sure if its said piece of shit welder or you not having the skillz to strike an arc.

Return that piece of shit welder and get a Lincoln tombstone. They are only $300 and if you can't afford that, you shouldn't be buying a welder period. I just don't understand why people always insist on cheaping out.
>>
>>917100
because they dont know the difference.

and to further the problem, sometimes there is no difference. sometimes the brand name tool has the same parts as the cheap knockoff tool. then again, sometimes not.

i got an everlast tig welder. it was like 500bux with a foot pedal. it works awesome for the price.
>>
>>916943
>upgrade
>miller
Pick one
>>
>>917100
>thinks everyone has $500 to spend on something that may not pan out.
It's one thing when you can borrow someone else's stuff to learn on or have a big budget, and another when you have nothing to start out with than a desire to learn a new skill.

I have very little budget, and for me to get into welding, I had to show usage that paid off the cost of the tools. I have shown my work to welding professionals and surprised them when I told them I'm using the cheapest HF stick welder. One guy thought I had used a mig. That's how good my welds are coming out. Stop being an elitist dude.
>>
It could be, low amperage, ground clamp is too far away, wrong polarity, or unclean metal.

>unplug and plug it in again
>>
>>917946
If you buy a shit machine and it doesn't work out you're out that money.
A good machine holds resale value if you don't want to continue.
>>
>>917984
Again, gotta have the money to spend it first. And no, there isn't a machine that anyone will pay retail for what you have in your garage, unless they're stupid. Reselling the better machine will lose more money than what the cheap machine cost me. A $300 machine new, resold I will be lucky to get $200 trying to sell it myself. The cheap machine cost me $70. Hmm, out $70 or out >$100.
>>
>>914923
Your electrodes are probably too thick, you need like 1/16" on a small machine like that.
>>
>>917946
>budget

There's no such thing as budget if you're willing to save money for the tool you want.

>show god tier with shit tier
You won't. You can learn to weld with a basic cheap arc welder but it won't compare to a good bead produced by a time served welder with a quality mig or tig

>in b4 what's the point
Throw yourself in at the deep end. Arc has its place but if you want to really get into welding, go for mig. Spend the money on a good machine and it will help. And as mentioned, if you feel it's nor for you, you can get some money back selling on with a decent machine.

Buy second hand to start. You can get a better machine for less. Might need some work but again. Another learning curve that will help on your way.
>>
>>917074
suck my dick lincoln fanboi.
>>
>>917105
I've read that Everlast is garbage and that they rig reviews, and that they also have a bad return policy and service.

Might as well save up for a Miller or Lincoln, both are good.
>>
>>914923
What electrode are you using?
>>
>>914923
it has the word power in the brand name, it is probably made to fail after the first use.
>>
>>915283
I got one of those cheap table top oven things at walmart. It puts the rods in the oven for an hour to get the moisture and whatever else out. Stick welding is tough
>>
>>920602
That's a good idea if you don't want to pay out many shekels for a rod oven!
>>
>>917100
Op, this guy has the right idea.
but get this in an AC/DC selectable version.

some metals weld better in AC, some in DC.
>>
>>916953
Flux core would be cheaper
>>
>>921014its cheaper in the beginning but fast forward 25 lbs gas is cheaper
>>
>>921032
You don't need shielding gas, that's why it's flux core, it has flux in its core.
>>
>>921452
I'm saying to buy into a flux core set up is cheaper but in the long run it's way more. Your paying 80 bucks for 10 lbs of flux core while I can buy 50 lb of mild steel wire for 48.50. It add up real fast and in the end gas shielded is cheaper that flux
>>
>>921492
Not to mention flux wire deposits only half its weight in weld
>>
>>921780
Exactly, I only use fcaw when I'm out in the field or I only have 110v outlets becuase it penetrates a lot deeper
>>
pointless save of dead thread from page 10
>>
File: obi-bun kenobi.jpg (11 KB, 356x297) Image search: [Google]
obi-bun kenobi.jpg
11 KB, 356x297
>>917074
man…i see you in every welding thread spouting the exact same line about miller. i've used several machines from lincoln and miller. i'd like to know how you came to your "opinion"?
>>
File: Esab_Buddy_Arc_180.jpg (37 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Esab_Buddy_Arc_180.jpg
37 KB, 600x600
slightly off the topic but what do you guys think about this ESAB? I got it for free from my father-in-law since he bought a better model and so this one was obsolete, I know lot about weldin, but no so much about what machine makers are good, so far I've only used finnish made kemppi's wich seem to work pretty well, and so does this, but what do you guys think? is this like the rolls royce of welders or a completely useless piece of hobbyist shit?

it has 180 amperes DC and seems to work well as mentioned and my father-in-law used at his work, (he is a plumber of sort, installs sprinkler systems and such)
>>
>>927048
correction it has AC- not DC
>>
>>927048
run some beads and post them and then we can tell you what w ethink
>>
>>917946
>I have shown my work to welding professionals and surprised them when I told them I'm using the cheapest HF stick welder. One guy thought I had used a mig. That's how good my welds are coming out.
thats such bullshit anybody familiar with just basic welding can tell right off the hop the difference between a GMAW and SMAW weld whoever you asked is fucking retarded
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.