[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here familiar with Smooth-On? I've noticed occasionally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
Anyone here familiar with Smooth-On? I've noticed occasionally when I'm using their moldstar 16 resin it turns opaque white, when normally it's clear. Does anyone know why this would happen?
Pic related, how it turns white at the top (the top was exposed to air, if that might be relevant)
>>
Do you put it through a vacuum before pouring?

Try just mixing it slower
>>
>>914791
Actually, you use pressure to prevent bubbles. 60 psi usually. You must use a airline drier on the compressor to ensure no moisture gets in, which can cause bubbles..
>>
>>914796
>Actually, you use pressure to prevent bubbles. 60 psi usually. You must use a airline drier on the compressor to ensure no moisture gets in, which can cause bubbles..

No, you don't. You degas it in a vacuum chamber, and then you MIGHT put it under pressure to cure if that doesn't produce satisfactory results.

Just putting it under pressure isn't going to help the bubble problem. It'll just make the bubbles smaller.
>>
>>914801
Actually, you can do both. Both methods are used for the exact same thing.
>>
>>914789
I thought it was a tampon in the thumbnail pic, glad I checked to find it wasn't
>>
>>914789
Are you aware that your object looks exactly like a tampon?
>>
>>916084
>>916088
Came here to post this lol
>>
File: resin casting with pressure.jpg (31 KB, 620x463) Image search: [Google]
resin casting with pressure.jpg
31 KB, 620x463
>>914789
It's opaque because of bubbles.
If you want it clear you need either vacuum (boils/sucks the bubbles out) or pressure (compresses the bubbles until they're basically invisible.)

Keep in mind that if you are going to subject the mould and resin to pressues, the mould ALSO needs to be treated the same way, or you get problems like expanding or compressing bubbles in the mould material causing warping.

Pic related is the same material, the one on the left was cast under pressure in a modified paint tank, the one on the right was cast normally.
>>
Pour into your mold from higher up.

Thinner stream = less bubbles hide in the middle of the stream
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.