[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi i want to make honey Mead but not as usual, the idea is m
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6
File: 1024x768vikinggot.jpg (83 KB, 693x768) Image search: [Google]
1024x768vikinggot.jpg
83 KB, 693x768
Hi i want to make honey Mead but not as usual,
the idea is make a 5-8% alcohol beverage with a perfect foam on top (like beer).
I'm thinking in use lecithin soya to make this possible, any suggestions?

Some old recipes
http://realbeer.com/spencer/Digby-recipes/
>>
File: 1449978481936.jpg (157 KB, 607x451) Image search: [Google]
1449978481936.jpg
157 KB, 607x451
Juicy
>>
File: IMG_20151213_170004351.jpg (465 KB, 984x1312) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151213_170004351.jpg
465 KB, 984x1312
I don't know about that but I just did this today, hope it works.

12 pounds of honey, 5 gallons of water (little less, desu.), and some dates.

I have no idea what I'm doing so I'm just going to forget about it for a year and see what happens.
>>
>>914406
if you want foam, add carbonation. allow to finish fermenting = no more bubbles/a bubble every hour or so, siphon and add a little more sugar/honey to ferment a little more and carbonate. Or use a diy sodastream or dry ice when bottling.
>>
>>914561
Update, I woke up this morning and the bung and airlock blew off the top, coated the top of the jug in foam.

Any way to salvage this?
>>
File: beerfoam.jpg (173 KB, 966x792) Image search: [Google]
beerfoam.jpg
173 KB, 966x792
OP HERE

The problem is, beer have a good Foam because the protein and alcohol quantity.

Beer have 0.5
and Honey have 0.3

Just carbonation will make look like soda.The Foam will dissipate in seconds
>>
I don't know why people all over the internet seem to want a drink like mead or cider to have a head.

You're just fighting the laws of nature. If you must though, I suppose using some high-protein grain, or something like oats that has a lot of beta glucan in it while still using a majority of honey as a your fermentable could work. Unless you're doing this for a celiac or something.

And lecithin has a taste. A bad one at that.
>>
>>914406
The "truest" way of doing this is secondary fermentation. The easiest (and most costly due to hardware), is forced carbonation.

Here's what you do: bottle it, without killing off or removing the yeast, shortly before it's all fermented out. The secondary fermentation then starts, and if you do it right, it won't pop the cap off or crack the bottle. I've had good luck with swing top bottles, but it was a higher alcohol content. It basically stopped the secondary by bringing the alcohol content up past the yeast's tolerance.
>>
>>915242
see:
>>914952

He wants it to have head retention like a beer, not just be carbonated. I can't imagine why desu
>>
>>915284
Ahhh. I see

Yeah. Not gonna happen with mead. Maybe a braggot though? That should let you get a nice head on it.
>>
File: 1599c086_xanthangum_f_1800.jpg (174 KB, 1192x1799) Image search: [Google]
1599c086_xanthangum_f_1800.jpg
174 KB, 1192x1799
And the use of XANTHAN GUM? it's used to make firm foam. Any taste difference?

"Xanthan Gum is also widely used to elaborate dishes for people with allergies and food intolerance. It is used in low calorie dishes to improve mouth feel and consistency."
>>
>>915654
Not really. It's in everything from icecream to pasta and meat sauces, juicy drinks, eye ointments...

If it did hypothetically test like anything you've been eating it your whole life already and couldn't tell by this point..
>>
File: organic_beer.jpg (82 KB, 458x238) Image search: [Google]
organic_beer.jpg
82 KB, 458x238
OP I was like you when I started making mead. In my head, I was imagining something beer-like, carbonated, good head, but just a bit sweeter. Now, many many batches of mead later, I realized that mead was never supposed to be like beer - but more like wine. Or something completely different.
If you want something beer-like - I'd suggest you brew beer.

Otherwise, if you still want mead with head retention, I'd recommend mashing your honey/water mixture with a bit of unmalted wheat or barley - that should give some head.
>>
homebrew used to be /ck/'s thing
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.