[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you install railings here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8
File: Screenshot_2015-12-13-00-11-55.png (4 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-13-00-11-55.png
4 MB, 1440x2560
The stairs are wood
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-13-00-13-21.png (4 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-13-00-13-21.png
4 MB, 1440x2560
>>914288
>>
>>914288
>>914289
At the top of the stairs I would attach them to the walls. As you go down I would use those nice 4x4s as an attachment point. I would only put one in the floor at the bottom. Like pic related. Only at the very end. I'd probably only use a single pipe, not a double like my pic.
>>
>>914298
Where do I buy this stuff? How does it attach to the bottom stairs, screws?

I appreciate the help, I'm a total noob just trying to fix up my first house.
>>
>>914300
Its black steel pipe. Its expensive. You get it at hardware stores and home improvement places or online. Call ahead as not everyone carries it. Galvanized pipe is cheaper but doesn't look quite as good and is a pain to paint. You generally use heavy duty screws or bolts. I would not attach it to the stairs at all. 3 attachment points should do you.
>>
>>914288
https://youtu.be/gPrT-B7lgqU
>>
>>914288
Right down the middle!
>>
File: traditional-staircase.jpg (21 KB, 307x460) Image search: [Google]
traditional-staircase.jpg
21 KB, 307x460
The cellar stairs in my grandparent's house use a rope like pic related as railing. It does its purpose and must be used for several decades by now.
>>
>>914403
I may do this.. Where would I get rope that thick?
>>
>>914621
You don't know where to get pipe, you don't know where to get rope, have you ever BEEN inside a hardware store?
>>
>>914288
If you put of railings, make sure they easy to take down. You may not fit big things through there when you want to. I've had to take my railing down because of that problem.
>>
if your putting in railings to meet code, be aware that the pipe or rope wont pass. you can get railing brackets and handle at lowes/hd/menards.
>>
Probably cheapest way. Buy 2 handrail brackets buy a section pine hand rail. From the edge of two stair treads level up and measure to 32-36 inches and mark a line. From these 2 points you can draw a line to get your slope. Use the line to mount the brackets with the top of bracket mount surface touching your line. Should be able to figure out the rest.
>>
>>914621
an Englund Marine might have one if you live near the pnw. Any marine store should have thick rope
>>
It drives me crazy that the terms "handrail" and "railing" have become interchangeable. They are two entirely different things.
>>
File: iron-railing-ornamental-11-lg.jpg (77 KB, 785x524) Image search: [Google]
iron-railing-ornamental-11-lg.jpg
77 KB, 785x524
this is a railing
>>
this is a handrail. Do you see the difference?
>>
>>916791
Yeah, no sane person would have a railing in their own home. It looks like you're about to enter your home and then you suddenly go up one floor.
>>
File: railing.jpg (121 KB, 444x800) Image search: [Google]
railing.jpg
121 KB, 444x800
Handrail?
>>
>>916791
This op with no bottom post. simply attach at top and middle with overhand towards the bottom for about 2 or 3 steps. leave the bottom of the stairs open for the open space and feel unless someone needs a handrail for the bottom few steps.
>>
File: Untitled.png (548 KB, 568x506) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
548 KB, 568x506
add some faces to your stairs
also pic related
>>
>>916790
>That railing termination at wall on mid-landing

My ass that can support 200 lb applied in any direction at any location
>>
>>917123
My ass can support the weight of my body too, what are you bragging about?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.