[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DIY Jigsaw Table
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9
File: Thumb.png (1 MB, 1917x1012) Image search: [Google]
Thumb.png
1 MB, 1917x1012
Make your own DIY Table for your jigsaw, cheap and easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDFGCXZUxoU
>>
File: 1431354791933.jpg (72 KB, 445x445) Image search: [Google]
1431354791933.jpg
72 KB, 445x445
But that's dangerous as fuck Juan!
>>
>>913914
Scrolls saws and jig saws are actually one of the safest types of shop tools. You are very unlikely to get anything more than a nasty cut with them. They don't take off fingers or anything like that. While that diy thing is pretty ghetto its not like its missing the safety gear of a real saw. They generally don't have any. I mean, what are you gonna do, put a guard on it?
>>
>>913914
>>913964
He just needs it clamped and supported better than it already is.

Oh and a guard won't work well because you need to turn the work piece. Unlike what is done with a table saw for instance.
>>
>>913964
if the blade catches in the workpiece you could get some wicked bruises
scroll/band saws push the workpiece against the table for a reason. nobody ever told you to only use one side of the disc sander?
>>
>>914099
What exactly are you even saying? What do disc sanders have to do with anything?
>>
>>914148
scroll saw
blade travels downwards through workpiece
workpiece is held against table

bandsaw
blade travels down towards workpiece
workpiece is held against table

this thing
blade moves up and down
blade catches/jams = workpiece jumps around

relation to disc sander:
on a clockwise rotating disc sander the workpiece should be worked against the right hand side of the disk so it is pushed against the table. if you push it into the left hand side of the disk the workpiece will catch and go flying across the fucking room.

is that enough of an explanation or do i need to spell it out for you any further?
>>
>>914152
making sure the teeth of the blade point down toward the work piece would probable mitigate the jumping
>>
>>914165
buying a proper floor standing bandsaw would definitely mitigate my impotence
>>
>>914165
Jigsaw blades don't allow that.
>>
>>914152
>scroll saw
>blade travels downwards through workpiece
>workpiece is held against table

Nope, you are wrong.
The saw blade is not a continuous loop, scroll saws use saw blades similar to those of coping saws and operate through a quick reciprocating up and down motion.
>>
File: jigsaw_carbon_universal_blades.jpg (22 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
jigsaw_carbon_universal_blades.jpg
22 KB, 300x300
>>914174
literally first return off google image search for jigsaw blades
>>
>>914183
I thought you meant just flip the blade around
>>
>>913964
>[jigsaws] don't take off fingers or anything like that.

Yes they do. Particularly if you're not paying attention to where your fingers are underneath the cut when you're holding the scrap side...
>>
>>914180
You do realise blades only cut in one direction? When the scroll saw is pulled upward the blade isn't cutting. Have you never heard the phrase "Let the blade do the work"? It's why you don't push E.g. a hand saw hard against the workpiece, especially on the pull.
>>
>>914192
What's your point?

This is exactly what jigsaws do and bandsaws don't.
>>
File: 1423834414014.png (92 KB, 179x217) Image search: [Google]
1423834414014.png
92 KB, 179x217
>bolt a jigsaw to a piece of wood then clamp it to a table

Great idea Juan! Now you can cut uneven lines AND hurt yourself

>>914152
>blade moves up and down
>blade catches/jams = workpiece jumps around

This guy is the only one ITT who has any fucking brains.
>>
File: image.jpg (212 KB, 749x1247) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
212 KB, 749x1247
>>914201
Again, this is exactly how a scroll saw works.
>>
>>914198
The point is that it means a scrollsaw is safe and this nigger-rigged piece of shit isn't.
>>
>>914202
>An upside down jigsaw is the same as a scroll saw

You hammer in screws, don't you?
>>
File: Wood_Blades.jpg (90 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Wood_Blades.jpg
90 KB, 800x800
>>914202
>scroll saw: thin blade secured on both ends

>this thing: jigsaw blade flopping around freely at the top

They're not the same bud.
>>
>>914188
Which is pretty dumb since a jigsaw would clearly pull/cut towards its foot like a scrollsaw would cut towards its table, to keep the wood towards it.

Also like how a sawzall cuts to the foot so you're supposed to shove the foot against whatever you're cutting.
>>
>>914212
So tell us them, what is the difference between what OP proposes, and cutting a hole out of an overhead roof panel with a jigsaw? The jigsaw is inverted, the teeth will pull the job towards the foot/baseplate on the cutting stroke, what is the inherent difference here?
>>
> ITT; People who need to google "table mounting a jigsaw" so they can see all the commercial (reads, certified safe for sale) and homebrew examples, and shut the fuck up about things they clearly don't understand.

Solid job OP, apologies for the retards in your thread.
>>
File: 13254-E[1].jpg (40 KB, 650x487) Image search: [Google]
13254-E[1].jpg
40 KB, 650x487
Scroll saws, good ones, can take scroll saw blades, jig saw blades and even files (die filer files, which operate on the pull stroke). They also have blade guides. Rockwell Delta made a badass scroll saw for about 50 years. It was called the 40-440, pic related. Because a jig saw blade is beefier than a scroll saw blade they worked just fine in it.

Rockwell got back in the power tool business some years back and now makes a jigsaw they call the Bladerunner. I wouldn't touch it with a ten meter cattle prod but anything made mostly out of plastic that isn't portable and battery powered is on my shit-list anyway.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (496 KB, 1260x1635) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
496 KB, 1260x1635
>>914246
Part of an advert for the saw. As you can see it had a very interesting mechanism for holding the blade and such and could take files and even a sanding attachment.
>>
probably the best way to use that damn black and decker... their base plates are absolute shit tier, but then again... you can buy one for like 20$... so what do you expect?
>>
>>914190
>using the device incorrectly causes injury to user

WOAHAOAH
>>
File: bmL2nDw[1].png (316 KB, 354x421) Image search: [Google]
bmL2nDw[1].png
316 KB, 354x421
>>914258
Hold up now. Are you telling me that if I act like a dumbshit around power tools and sharp objects that I could get hurt?
>>
>>914258
>>914297
Hey, I wasn't the one saying "Jigsaws don't take of fingers". They can and they will if you're a dumbshit, yes.
>>
>>913883
You could easily make a gard for that.
>>
>>914341
The real dumbshits are the ones who completely finish the cut when cutting their fingers off with a jigsaw. Which is on par with say, shooting your self in the foot with a long bow....a second time.
>>
>>914345
Why? A guard will interfere with the way a jigsaw works. It isn't a table saw meant for ripping 2x4s. It is a jigsaw meant for making curving cuts.
>>
>>914372
so much this. I cope crown moulding with a jigsaw with the foot plate taken off. I've always realized I snagged my finger before I get further than a band aid type of wound
>>
>ITT nobody mentions that you can get jigsaw blades that have teeth orientated to cut on either a up or down stroke.
>>
>>914476
I'm guessing because the jigsaw is already upside-down, so it's more meaningful to talk about the towards stroke and the away stroke?
>>
>>914474
Ditto. Jigsaws and scroll saws take a long time to cut. Speed is not one of their qualities. You want to cut a curve? They have you covered. You want to cut a 4x8 sheet of plywood in half the long way? Get a circular saw. If you manage to give yourself something greater than a minor cut you either have nerve damage or are drunk.
>>
>>913883
I have a hole in my workbench where I can mount my jigsaw in. It's occasionally convenient. Not often though. Today I was looking at it but it is too slow to mount the tool so just cut by hand. Which sucks when you cut thin steel...
>>
>>914212
You're right. the jigsaw blade is thicker and holds fairly straight without being held on both ends. Otherwise, same action.
>>
>>914373
It wouldn't interfere with shit, just make the guard the same as on scroll saw.
The only reason I suggest it is to stop all the pussy from crying over missing finger tips.
>>
the only thing I think you could add to this that would make it better would be a foot pedal that would vary the speed of the saw the same way that the trigger does...
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.