[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get started with using ESP8266 by itself?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: esp8266_wi-fi_module.jpg (45 KB, 430x424) Image search: [Google]
esp8266_wi-fi_module.jpg
45 KB, 430x424
How do I get started with using ESP8266 by itself?
>>
tested it a bit using the arduino ide. (no atmega, just the esp8255)
still haven't used them for something cool yet.
i have a big ol' led screen. like 8x96 leds.
could be cool to have a screen i could type to over wifi i guess.
got too many projects, probably won't happen
>>
You can flash it with NodeMCU or compile a custom firmware. Either way, I've created some automated scripts that build all required tools in a convenient VM. You can find those on GitHub.com/Idorobots/esp8266-ansible
>>
>>913645
By googling.

OK, OK. You need a USB TTL adapter, or to piggyback off of an arduino board.

Use pages like this for reference: http://www.esp8266.com/

And if you want to go for easy-mode, and hell, why not, https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino
>>
>>913655
i have like 5 or six of them laying around.
maybe the least i could do is program them with rude words for ssid's and leave them on 24/7.
>>
>>913645
Easy to miss this unless you dig.
Very much worth your time.
The eBook is free and updated regularly.

http://neilkolban.com/tech/esp8266/

Hope you share what you build with us.
>>
>>913645
Very related to what I'm doing right now.
IS there any fucking wifi chip for embedded systems that allow you to read the full packet information? UART does not have framing and all wifi chips that I've looked at strip that information away.
Is it so much to ask to read out what the UDP packet length will be?
>>
>>914079
I don't know about UDP packet size specifically, but Espressif's ESP8266 SDK does let developers go way deeper into the chip than sending AT commands over UART.
>>
Do i must to config this somehow before i send bytes by RS, and fcuk with this like in NRF24l01?
May i have working c code for config if so?
>>
>>914121
Of course you have to config it, since it needs to know what to connect to. It's wifi.
>>
>>914080
Yeah, but a lot of the 802.11 specifics, and even a fair amount of the tcp/ip, are wrapped and obscured by their libraries.

Just writing a transparent proxy server in it is overcomplicated to impossible because of the lack of low level access.

Or at least that was the case 6ish months ago when I looked
>>
File: RFM22B breakout board.jpg (117 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
RFM22B breakout board.jpg
117 KB, 600x600
Anyone have experience with the RFM22B? I just got myself a pair and want to start getting familiar with them, but the datasheet is a bit overwhelming and I'm not really sure how/where to start (doesn't help that I'm a bit of a microcontroller noob).

Ultimately my application calls for spread-spectrum transmission (for Part 15 compliance) of a simple PPM signal.
>>
>>914079
>>914080
I ordered a few of them that just came in and found out you can directly program them like Arduino's which gives me access to do whatever the fuck I want with the packages, including prefixing the package length and adding a delimiter if I choose to.

I'm starting to like these things.

Used:
https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino

Just need a serial bridge from USB to TTL. When flashing something you need to start the module while pulling gpio0 to ground so it starts in flashing mode, then just upload from the arduino IDE.
>>
>>913645
I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong, but this design should work, But with an UNO the only thing OP would need to do is put a 5volt to 3.3volt voltage regulator between the digital read/write pins on an Uno and the ESP8266.

Right or wrong?,.. I KNOW I am not the smartest guy and my designs are often from imagination/ trial and error.

Sorry in advance, because I really don't want to break anyone's shit. 5bucks here and there tends to add up with all this marker shit.
>>
File: Node-MCU-Pin-Out-Diagram1.png (211 KB, 1060x702) Image search: [Google]
Node-MCU-Pin-Out-Diagram1.png
211 KB, 1060x702
>>914447
Yes, UNO's TX/ESP's RX needs to be converted, but ESP TX/ UNO RX can be connected directly. 5v/3.3v logic level converter would also work, or just do a voltage divider with resistors https://www.abelectronics.co.uk/tools/resistor-voltage-divider.aspx
Also worth noting is that while UNO has a 3.3v pin, it only gives out 50mA which is not enough for esp8266, so doing the conversion from the 5v is also required for power.

NodeMCU and other newer models cost a bit more than the basic ESP8266 chips, but are easier to use. More pins, some have the USB connection with CH340 etc. The pins are just a bit retarded (picrelated)
>>
>>914473
>>914447
Depends on the module as far as I could see. Some take 5V some don't.
Mine needs a 4.7-10uF cap to not trigger the watchdog. Like how much does it cost to add that shit to the module itself for fucks sake.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.