[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /diy/, I recently found this old Kenwood KR-5030 in the basement
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: P1070431.jpg (102 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
P1070431.jpg
102 KB, 1024x768
Hey /diy/, I recently found this old Kenwood KR-5030 in the basement along with an old record player so I figured I'd set it up, but when I turn on the 5030 the lights flicker and there's an arcing noise coming from where the power switch/speaker selector knob is. I'm not that good with electronics so I have no clue where to start with this thing.

Anybody know what's going on or how to fix it?
>>
>>913575
First thing I would try is to clean the contacts in the switch.
>>
>>913576
I guess I could try that first
>>
>>913576
>>913578
Actually, before I do that how should I go about doing this without getting electrocuted
>>
>>913580
>can't clean a couple contacts without getting zapped
Take it to an appliance repair place. You'll probably wreck it.
>>
>>913582
This thing isn't worth paying to get it fixed, but thank you for your concern
>>
>>913580
Unplug it* first, anon. If you still get shocked? - God does not mean well with you anyway, may as well get it over with quickly.

*Disclaimer: this is not valid for large CRTs (old televisions, etc.) - these tend to defy even the most well-meaning 'unplug it first' advice. Indeed, these evil bastards can perform instant sudoko, even when unplugged. See capacitators, large, 'what was that scream and burning smell in there, anon? anon?.." -etc.
>>
>>913589
Right, capacitors are what I'm worried about. I've taken apart old tvs for other projects but I just took a screwdriver to the capacitors to discharge them. I don't really want to fry this receiver though.
>>
>>913585

A fully restored, serviced one is worth about 150-200.00.

Maybe a kind tech will fix it for 50ish. It's most likely the caps.
>>
>>913602
Caps as in capacitors or safety caps? The latter I could do myself.

Also this one's pretty beat up and has some other issues, but the arcing is the only thing preventing it from running
>>
The first thing you should do is to just operate all controls about 100 times. And I mean a literal hundred times. Just click the power switch over and over and over with the unit unplugged. Then do it another 20-50 times with it plugged in. Do this with every single button.

Source: I do this professionally.
>>
>>913611
I don't know why I actually did this but nothing happened.
>>
>>913623
The arcing noise is due to oxidation in the mains switch. It's extremely common on disused gear. Operating the switch many times will usually wear through it. Drowning it (as in the internal switch mechanism) in rubbing alcohol (or 99 % alcohol if you have it), and then operating it many times is almost guaranteed to fix the issue.
>>
>>913627
The arcing may be coming from the transformer, I can't really tell. If this were the case could I just power it up and let it arc until the oxidation is gone or would it just fry the contacts?
>>
>>913634
The transformer just makes noise because it's a giant coil. The arc is 99 % likely to be in the switch. Letting it arc will cause it to weld after some time, but it'll only get worse every turn-on unless you clean it. Avoid oil-based ("lubricating") contact cleaners. WD40 is a no go. Pure isopropyl alcohol is the master race.
>>
>>913636
So just take it apart and put some alcohol on the parts that are arcing?
>>
>>913638
Yes, and then operate it from end to end. It's likely a brown circle and possibly a "brick", with some metal behind the knob. Just unplug the power first, and let the alcohol vaporize before plugging it in again, because sparks and alcohol makes fire.
>>
>>913640
I've heard KR-5030 switches are sealed units, but I'll try later on when I have time to take it apart, thanks.
>>
>>913643
I guarantee they just look sealed. Alcohol will seep in. Try to get 99 % pure. Water is bad.
>>
>>913575
> ELO
> Peter Gabriel

I love you.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.