[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/diy/ Rocket Science
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
>>
Can you legally ship potassium nitrate in Europe?
>>
>>913240
yes its usd for curing meat and stuff its not dangerous on its own and blackpowder is hardly tnt or c4
the rules about actually making fuel will fuck you though.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsiolkovsky_rocket_equation

Any questions?
>>
>>913240
You can buy it off Amazon here in the UK.
>>
>>913240
yes, very pure as well. And why would they bother banning it for explosives, if ammonia nitrate and urea nitrate can be made with fertilizer/stumpremover/piss to make more potent explosives instead of potassium nitrate.
>>
>>913212
there was just a thread on this shit about a month ago.
>>
Solid, liquid or hybrid engine?
>>
>>913295
Ammonium Nitrate was recently reclassified by the EU (I think, definitely by the UK government, think it was an EU wide ban though) so it can't be purchased by consumers, instant cold packs, fertiliser etc is no longer allowed to use it (Actually, I believe it was banned in fertiliser before then due to leeching?) - It can still be bought for making ANFO, with the right licenses, but for the everyday person it's not readily available - as far as I understand.
>>
>>913903
yeah just wait till they start banning piss because you can make urea nitrate...
>>
A local kook is offering 1000 bucks for launching an object 2 km or higher in the air.
Rotary craft or buoyancy is not allowed.
Is it actually doable from a diy perspective?
>>
>>913443
Solid. No question. Rocketry just isn't the same without dat smoke trail.
>>914337
Challenging, but possible. How much rocketry experience do you have?
>>
>>914344
Can't regulate a solid engine
Better to make it hybrid, then you can regulate the oxidiser.
>>
>>914344
>How much rocketry experience do you have?
Zero, and zero budget.
I'm not actually planning to do it myself. It just bothers me that the fucker keeps promoting his stupid challenge that is just out of reach for the common man.

Here is his manifesto, should anyone want to try this themselves.
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fmarkpeeters.skynetblogs.be%2Farchive%2F2015%2F08%2F11%2Fmijn-laatste-pamflet-8483463.html
I'll gladly help with translation.
>>
>>914353
Guess how I can tell you've never done your own of either.

And technically solids actually can be regulated or even extinguished by venting chamber pressure (the Minuteman III has blowout ports specifically used to terminate thrust on the third stage at the desired instant.

But from a hobbyist perspective, I can't see why you'd ever need such a feature.
>>
>stick igniter in rocket
>trigger with 9v battery
>doesnt work
>take igniter out
>it glows red hot when powered

what gives

also
>buy fuse for rocket
>stick fuse all the way up the nozzle
>light
>doesnt ignite

am i wili e. coyote?
>>
just launch a giant firework from a drone
>>
>>914622
>>stick igniter in rocket
>trigger with 9v battery
>doesnt work
>take igniter out
>it glows red hot when powered
Was there no pyrogen on it? Every igniter I've used or made has had a little blob of pyrogen on the end to help things along. A bit of bare glowing bridgewire probably won't cut it.
>buy fuse for rocket
>stick fuse all the way up the nozzle
>light
>doesnt ignite
Well that, I'm not so sure.

Have you kept your engines fairly dry?
>>
>>914356
http://www.jamesyawn.net/skillet/large/index.html

This site has some great info. I started making Rcandy in a skillet on the sideburner of a gas BBQ when I was 12. Couldn't afford those stupid Estes engines.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.