[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
making a Little Free Library for a humid environment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: 1082118316.jpg (173 KB, 721x541) Image search: [Google]
1082118316.jpg
173 KB, 721x541
I wanna put together a Little Free Library and install it somewhere in my neighborhood. The problem is, my neighborhood is in Houston, the most humid place on earth. Is there any way to build a wooden box that will lead to lower humidity inside?
>>
File: silica-gel-canister-angled.jpg (48 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
silica-gel-canister-angled.jpg
48 KB, 700x700
>>912905
Perhaps a solar powered heating pad inside and a thermostat? Though, you want the heat inside to be slightly warmer than the outside air to prevent condensation as night. Aside from that, those Indicating Moisture Absorbing Silica Gel things might work well if it is a small area. You'll need to replace them from time to time. Basically you bake them in the oven until they return to proper color and reuse them.
>>
>>912905

>most humid place on earth

I here in the tropics (much more humid than Houston) have no real problem with deteriorating books over 10's of years unless they are left in the rain.
>>
>>912926
>(much more humid than Houston)
Houston is so humid that most of July and August is just standing water
>>
>>912927

Right now it is 80% here and it is considered dry.
>>
>>912930
In 2013 Houston hit a high of 840% humidity
>>
i see these around town, they're so cool
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I recently made, not sure about what to do bout humidity but I thought I'd share
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
This is the first one I made, well fixed up an existing one actually
>>
>>912905
>Somewhere in my neighborhood

Like on your own property? I hope you don't intend on planting one of those things in a public park.
>>
>>912958
Shit, I've never seen a two-room LFL. that owns
>>
>>912905
This is a fucking great idea, I have never heard of LFL's before, and now I want to make one. It's like USB dead drops without the chance of rape.

The problem is going to be if your ambient air is humid, any system you use to pump ambient air in will need a dehumidifying element. I don't know how to do that passively. Is this actually going to be a problem though? Can you make a box, throw some books in and leave them for a few weeks to see if this will actually be a problem or not?

>>912965
Because making free information as publicly accessible as possible is a huge problem, and more important than your own opinions of what should be in a public space, amiritie?

>>912926
>>912930
Why the trip? This is not /o/, you're not OP and a trip with the "carib" in it is not required for people to believe you're from a humid climate. We are not benchracing faggots out for a trollwar, you do not need the trip here.
>>
>>912981
the law doesn't give a fuck how good your intentions are.

you gotta fucking wake up from your delusional little happy faggot fantasy and as """"mean"""" as it may fucking sound it's reality.

the fucking city WILL tear down your faggot little library

PS: i'm sorry for being mean but the profanity is to simulate real life not because i feel that way, buddy. :)
>>
>>912993
..thats why you check with the council before you put it up you cock belch. Do you really need to be told that?
>>
>>912998
well some fucking retards like OP might not do that and just think they can do whatever the fuck they want.
>>
>>912993
Ah, yes
>my little shithole of town is the whole world
>>
>>912905
OP, I'm too lazy to Google, but I think that there are ceramic kinda things that are desiccants for gun safes. They soak up the humidity to keep rust off the guns, then you "recharge" them by baking in an oven to dry out. You could buyfag one, but I bet they could be /diy/.
>>
>>913000
Dat backpedaling.
>>
File: phonehome.jpg (23 KB, 236x356) Image search: [Google]
phonehome.jpg
23 KB, 236x356
In the uk we put them inside our old phone boxse.
Most of these boxes date from 1935 and are made form cast iron.
Organisations can adopt them for just £1.

Good luck with your project OP. Hope to catch your updates.

http://business.bt.com/phone-services/payphone-services/adopt-a-kiosk/
>>
>>912938

>840%

Then I guess Houston has air cleaner than what is possibly clean?
>>
Talk to guys who install tvs outdoors. They will know for sure.

I'm not far from Houston but I don't think it has to be all that sealed.
>>
>>913096
Fuck off tripcunt.
>>
>>913019
Different fag here. I work for the parks dept for a major Metro area.

If a little free library were to pop up in one of the parks, my guys are required to take it down. The liability is too high for the city.

>Kid runs into it, we get sued
>Falls over on someone, we get sued
>Kid gets a splinter from it, we get sued
>Kid playing football plows into it, we get sued
>One of my guys runs over it with a mower, we pay for damages to mower and potentially the owner
>People use it as a drop for drugs, we take heat for enabling drug use

If it has some sort electric dehumidifier attached to it, the bomb squad will be called.

We live in a post 9/11 world and everyone gets their tits in a bunch over everything.

That being said, present the idea in a formal way, and we might approve it if it's good and is backed by more than just one guy. We might even throw money at it.

You will find this true of every city in the US.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-10-12-51-55.png (779 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-10-12-51-55.png
779 KB, 1080x1920
We have several of these in my neighborhood in Chicago. Humidity isn't really too much of a problem though.

If you want the cheap, easy, passive solution, just build in a small area to secure a container of damp rid inside. Pic related. You can find it at any walmart or cvs.

You will have to replace the damp rid every couple of weeks or a month, but hey, these little libraries are nice. If I can snap a picture of a couple and this thread is still alive I'll post them.
>>
>>913216
DNA Info story about the lfls on edgewater.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20151208/edgewater/without-library-one-communitys-interim-fix-took-on-life-of-its-own
>>
>>912905
We had one like this in our town, but it was for alcohol, not books.

The 1980s were glorious.
>>
>>912905
Make the little house kind of like an attic, with a bit of flow-through air? But make it critter proof? Holes on the bottom covered with screens, ridge cap / under overhang holes also with screens.

Also, dessicants? Tyvek or just fabric bags filled with rice or silica gel or baking soda or whatever. Idk.
>>
>>913083
>Most of these boxes date from 1935 and are made from cast iron.
Uh, "most" of them date from the 80s or 90s and are made from plastic

>Organisations can adopt them for just £1.
Sure, if they want to become responsible for all future upkeep and maintenance. Which means if someone puts a boot through the glass you have to pay for a replacement or get fined by the council.
>>
>>913313
Clearly my post is refusing to free public libraries are in the K6 phone boxes.
I don't know any free public libraries in any of the KX100 (1985) or KX100plus (1996) mainly because these aren't available for adoption, even so these phone boxes were made form aluminium and glass. I don't know any phone box on the BT network to be made of plastic.

I would be very interesting in seeing these free libraries in plastic phone boxes and look forward to you providing me with the information as clearly my knowledge isn't up to date.

As for the adoption I imagine any organisation that takes one on carries out there research and feel its justifiable.
>>
>>912965
I was planning on asking local businesses if they would be cool with it on their property. Gentrifying neighborhood with lots of hiptsers, at least one should be cool with it.
>>
>>912905
Lots of silica pebbles and a well insulated box?
>>
>>913357
Depends on the business. Anything part of a chain will probably say no, because corporate controls their lives.

The common way is to just put it in your front yard next to the sidewalk and let people use it.

I'm guessing you're not a property owner though.
>>
Maybe look into humidors. Like the ones for cigars.
>>
>>912905
>Houston
The Humidity is the least of your problems.
Also they make a 40 gram silica gel pad. Check it out online. Should do the trick.
>>
>>913357
You know an easier option for the urban environment is to start the free library up inside a hipster coffee shop, as it's always nice to have something to read when having a hot chocolate,.
So instead of make the over sized bird house you could make a nice bookcase.

But then if you've got a nice lot in mind to leave it on then do that.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.