[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I came across this house earlier today, snapped this picture
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
File: weirdroof.png (189 KB, 386x346) Image search: [Google]
weirdroof.png
189 KB, 386x346
I came across this house earlier today, snapped this picture while driving by, the shingles have this pattern across the entire roof and it looks to be done on purpose, none of the other houses in this neighborhood have this, anyone with any roofing experience have any idea how the hell this is done? I've done some wood working and the best I can come up with would be cutting the joists underneath the shingles in profile and then layering thin plywood on top to keep the profile. not sure if I love it or hate, but positive I want to know how the fuck they did it. any input would be greatly appreciated.
>>
prob. custom curved singles - usually made from steamed cedar, or some shit. I doubt theres an actual undulating form underneath, - then again, I really dunno anything about this stuff, desu. Just a guess..
>>
>>912445
That would be a nightmare to do roof repair work on that.

Looks weird, but if done like that on purpose, I'm interested in knowing how that's done as well.
>>
>>912445
they used fake crab meat.
>>
>>912509
the pattern is regular across the whole roof, I'd be shocked if it wasn't planned that way
>>
File: 1402026848522.jpg (225 KB, 1200x886) Image search: [Google]
1402026848522.jpg
225 KB, 1200x886
>>912445
might be made on purpose so as to hold the snow from falling
or maybe the workers just put the softwood on top and it absorbedmoisture and formed these shapes
>>
File: roof.jpg (78 KB, 700x489) Image search: [Google]
roof.jpg
78 KB, 700x489
>>912508
>I doubt theres an actual undulating form underneath
It doesn't sound like there is.
>Steam bent wooden shingles laid in a wave pattern and rolled under at the eaves
Source:
https://www.inspirationgreen.com/steam-bent-shingles
>>
>>912445
Looks like a warped roof.
>>
That roof style is called "Storybook"
>>
File: Storybook roof.jpg (267 KB, 736x511) Image search: [Google]
Storybook roof.jpg
267 KB, 736x511
>>912784
BASED anon comes through
>>
That isnt on purpose, that is a horribly water damaged and rotting roof.
>>
>>912784
it's beautiful, but how much more maintenance does this require?
>>
>>912847
Too much judging from the OP pic.
>>
>>912784
thank you!
>>
>>912847
>how much more maintenance..
- Im guessing, if you can afford installation? you can also afford not to worry about maintenance cost kindofthing. Otherwise, should you live middle of a cedar forest, own two hobbits with hammers who do it for free 24/7 and you can live with a more-or-less permanent scaffold installation? - probably be manageable.

>>912813
- funky but.. wood like to know what that shit cost tho, and, if I was spending that amount? - gonna be on something I spend more time contemplating than my roof.
>>
>>912847
>>912885
I'm "Based" anon from earlier that gave the clue that the roof style is storybook.

The cost and maintenance of a storybook roof?

Okay, first, a storybook roof should last 100 years, the layers of cedar shingles and what you cannot see there are strips of ZINC nailed under the rows of shingles to inhibit the growth of mildew and moss.

My experience is in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan and (some)Illinois.
I know of EXACTLY 1 company that is known to do these roofs across 4 states.
The Durable Slate Company.
They mostly do Slate roofs obviously.
I know of exactly 1 house where I happened to hear via rumor-mill what Durable Slate was charging for a new Storybook Roof.
It was over $140,000.00 on a 1920's Million Dollar Tudor mansion in Cincinnati.

Cedar shingles are cheap, the money is the labor.
Quality is Expensive.
>>
>>912933
BASED RoofBro is BASED!
- gracias for the solid info, appreciated.. while you are there tho..

>"Cedar shingles are cheap, money is the labor"
- so, if you were /diy/ing this/own labor - any chance of a (really approx) material-only breakdown cost, ie, just Zinc/Shingles cost $ per (whatever area of unit measurement)?

- and if you can also /diy/ steam cedar shingles, as people in utube claim to, would that be enough to acheive simple 'curved/wave' effects, or, would you additionaly need/recommend profile form underneath? Cheers.
>>
>>912944
Roofing is done by the "Square".
A "Square" being 100 square feet of coverage.
Cedar shingle are sold by a "bundle"
The lowest/cheapest grade suitable for a roof is #3
It should take 4 bundles of shingles to do a Square of roof with a 5" or 6" face exposure on the shingle.
However the steeper the roof pitch, the less exposed "face" of single, so on a steep roof you might only have 3" of exposed shingle.

Grade 3 shingle sells for about $15 a bundle.
Of course, the more you buy, the cheaper the price.
So by buying a whole roof worth of shingles the price might drop to less than $10 a bundle. Depends on the supplier lumberyard.

As for the zinc, a 50 linear feet coil is about $20 to $25 dollars

The bigger expense is the stainless steel nails.
A 1 lbs. box of 3 penny weight SS nails is about $10

Lastly, as for steaming...
Cedar is probably on of the easiest woods to steam and shape.
You have the pre-made shaping-block and clamps... steam the shingle for like 5 minutes pull it hot and clamp it to the shape-block.
Have 5 to 10 shaping and clamp blocks to each steam-box so it doesn't take WEEKS to steam and cure the bent shingles.
>>
File: 4_usingstrap.jpg (12 KB, 250x200) Image search: [Google]
4_usingstrap.jpg
12 KB, 250x200
>>912944
Luthier (and former trim carpenter) here. Bending the shingles would be fairly simple using a bending iron and drying form. Thats how the sides of guitars are done. The curving pattern of the courses seem pretty straightforward, and it looks like the undulations are achieved by layering partial courses in places. I could be completely wrong though.
>>
File: EIRE8-10[1].jpg (231 KB, 1000x664) Image search: [Google]
EIRE8-10[1].jpg
231 KB, 1000x664
>>912952
>>912959

ayy cheers - top stuff Lads, may your children prosper.

Gettting interested enough to have a crack at this in minature now, new shed overdue - need to wait till summer tho, which in Bongoland, means maybe two weeks in July. Prob. entirely unsuited for climate here as well, but, its an attempt worth, just for the hell of it.
>>
>>912968
>somewhere in Grand Rapids MI a homeowner will have no clue that they influenced the reroofing of a shed in England.

op here, threads like these are why I love /diy/
>>
I once watched a video of this on tv and the guy stuck about 20 shingles at a time into a jig that just had a steamer underneath. So they were bent first for awhile and steamed a few at the time.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.