[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm thinking of buying a bit of land and I want to build
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 13
File: Verzasca_Hut.jpg (2 MB, 2272x1704) Image search: [Google]
Verzasca_Hut.jpg
2 MB, 2272x1704
I'm thinking of buying a bit of land and I want to build a small stone cottage/hut/shed to sleep in when I visit. Nothing too crazy inside; about five by three yards or so with a fireplace and a stove for heat/cooking, no electricity needed, a bed. Illumination would be provided by paraffin lamps and candles, maybe a generator outside if I really wanted electricity.

Now, I've had no experience whatsoever in building anything more than a wooden shed, so any points would be welcome.
>>
>>911627
You could easily lay a foundation and build a wooden structure.
It would be easier and probably cheaper than masonry work.

Do you need a foundation for a stone building?
It would shift with the ground right?
>>
>>911627
I hope you have stone on the land preferably shale
other wise you will pay out the ass
>>
>>911627
Kerosene is nasty stuff, especially in an enclosed space. Get an led lamp with a rechargeable battery.
>>
>>911632
Foundation requirement [depth/strength] for a stone [and I assume concrete] building basically depends on :
1 : the soil-type
2 : climate conditions
3 : load

1 : soil-type : reactive-clay/blacksoil/deep-humus/peat are very bad ! [requires a deep/strong footing perhaps a metre deep with 3 levels of reinforcing] ;
Typical middling top-soil is still trouble : you have to dig below that ;
Stone/hard-clay/sand is easy [450 to 600 with two levels of Reo as minimum]

2 : climate ; if your rainfall varies a lot throughout the year then even a low-reactivity soil will expand and contract a lot : here it rains Five times more in Summer than Winter [Trouble !
Climate continued : Frost ! - check your local depth - footing has to be below the frost-line

3 : Load - party a function of wall height : a wall that is twice as high probably weighs Three times more [width/stability/thickness/strength]
And wall length : a long wall can break its' footing.
Summary : Check your soil-type - Dig and see
>>
>>911627
>>911644

Yeah basically.
>>
>>911627
ask an architect, he'll plan it tell you the cost, and you'll reject.
>>
>>911627
Unless you have the stone on site you won't pull it off.

>architect fag here

You are much better off building a post and beam type building. These types of structures are the easiest to build for the diy'er with little to no experience.

You can download a free copy of the International Building Code which will put you in compliance with virtually any jurisdictional codes on the books. Certain municipalities and counties may issue addendums and revisions to their chosen standards published versions. These are usually on file with the building inspectors office and if you ask nicely they'll give you a copy.

The IBC for residential buildings in particular is arranged in the order of typical construction. If you are patient and careful in your reading and maths you will end up with a structure that will stand the tests of time.

It will tell you how to design the footings, where to place the posts, how big of beams to use, load calculations and all.
>>
Mind the issue of water leakage, maybe tile/stacking so water always flows out/away. A water drain into the building can be an issue.
>>
https://youtu.be/P73REgj-3UE
>>
>>913479
That was strangely hypnotic.
>>
>>913479
boy I could barely do that with proper tools and unlimited time
>>
>>913479
i envy this man

he probably doesn't suffer from a lack of self-esteem or confidence and is fit as heck.

i would gift my wife to him so that his obviously superior genes would be passed on
>>
>>913479
Fuckin rad
>>
You could look into cob house building. Cob is essentially clay/mud mixed with straw and makes for stable and insulating walls. There are some tutorials online, books on that matter available and actual courses here and there.
>>
>>913668
Ever heard of the word give?
>>
>>914077
a mate of mine did one its fantastic and the thermal efficiency is through the roof
>>
>>913668

I've found that just being out in nature doing stuff with your hands makes all the petty shit in your brain just melt away.

It's really therapeutic.
>>
File: 1267394094640.jpg (21 KB, 522x399) Image search: [Google]
1267394094640.jpg
21 KB, 522x399
>>913479
>underfloor heating

neat
>>
File: 1240843411368.jpg (64 KB, 500x402) Image search: [Google]
1240843411368.jpg
64 KB, 500x402
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5F8AgnQUr4

Ideas and motivation right here.

>yfw stained glass window room

I've had similar ideas about building a primitive abode off the books where I could spend a month or two in the summer, just whittling, reading, fishing etc. Something like Simon Dale's hobbit house.
In the end I decided to just focus on trying to find a cozy, somewhat secluded house just outside of town instead where I can live fulltime and realize my hippie-aspierations.
>>
>>911627
That thing looks dangerous as fuck.I wouldn't go inside for a million bucks.
>>
>>913668
you fucking kek, dominate your woman for god's sake, dominate your self!- maybe there's something in you to prolong the gene pool
>>
>>911645
A properly adjusted kero lantern burns very clean with little smoke. Do you even Amish?
>>
File: log cabin.jpg (798 KB, 1928x1408) Image search: [Google]
log cabin.jpg
798 KB, 1928x1408
Best option is a longhouse. There are various ways to wall it in, and stone would be used for the interior structure, requiring less foundation. Maybe one for a stove, one for storage, etc. but doing it all would be a nightmare.

Your best bet is to find undeveloped land and use your own lumber. Buy just enough finished lumber to make a solar convection kiln, and start hacking down trees. Split them with an axe or sledge n' wedge or just strip the bark. Further sawing can be done with a band saw attached to a crank assembly.
>>
File: palisade.jpg (118 KB, 441x259) Image search: [Google]
palisade.jpg
118 KB, 441x259
>>914678
Sorry, wrong pic. I'm tired.
>>
not directly related but you may find this interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P73REgj-3UE
>>
Every time I think of building a primitive cottage on some land, I think, "yeah, I could do that with stone. Or I could skip that and go with timber."

And then I think, "fuck, give me a concrete truck and some polystyrene forms on top of a poured concrete foundation, and the rest I can do in geodesic, then waterproof it and bury it."

Cool in summer, easy to make organic forms, and easy enough to build out sun wells for internal gardening.
>>
>>911627
just refurbish a couple of containers.
>>
>>915583
>pay out the ass for a container when you could just buy angle iron and get the same thing
>>
>>913479
Watched all of his videos just now. Wow. Off to the jungle I go!
>>
Different anon here. If I had stone in property what resource or book could I use to male it unto a foundation or stone wall? I'm assuming no concrete, just as one of them qt pie Irish abodes
>>
>>913668
Not gifting yourself to the man...
>>
>>911627

The Nearings specialized in stone houses, so you might want to check them out.
>>
File: 1405795420793.png (268 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1405795420793.png
268 KB, 400x400
>>914244
holy fuck what is this glorious construction

AND WHY DOES IT APPEAR TO BE ABANDONED???

I bet there would be dosens of eccentric millionaires who would love to own and restore something like that
>>
Find a source of stone and use just that particular kind, different kinds may be different hardnesses, etc. Just look at pictures of stone houses in Europe for ideas. Don't listen to the guys telling you to use wood. We don't need more shitrock and two bits by four buildings lol
>>
File: amigo.jpg (125 KB, 945x552) Image search: [Google]
amigo.jpg
125 KB, 945x552
>>911644
>>911627

Amigo's Castle, a place with lots of rocks and one guy with enough time and knowledge of stone masonry built himself a castle in Australia. Built his own scaffolding and used pulleys to move stone.

http://www.johnosopals.com/2013/05/lightning-ridge-amigos-castle

http://www.weekendnotes.com/amigos-castle-lightning-ridge/

video and interview: http://www.abc.net.au/local/videos/2010/01/28/2795560.htm
>>
>>917067
another video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJMs3tCloTk
>>
File: butitsaliens[1].jpg (36 KB, 553x484) Image search: [Google]
butitsaliens[1].jpg
36 KB, 553x484
>>917067
Clearly beyond the capabilities of one man. Aliens must have built it.
>>
I always thought gabion walls would be a cool way to build some structural walls, i figure between some steel rebar mesh, a few spools of bailing wire and some chicken wire to hold smaller stones or pebbles you could make some pretty strong walls.
>>
File: IMG_5442.jpg (1 MB, 1800x1350) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5442.jpg
1 MB, 1800x1350
Masonry construction isn't actually that difficult once you've had some practice. The key is to plan ahead and be patient, rushing will always result in errors. Be prepared to put a lot of time in, as its a comparatively labor intensive construction technique.

Pic related is something i'm building at the moment with friends. Most of us are students with little construction experience.
>>
>>911627
Straw bale construction is fucking ace for cottages mate. Great insulation, cheap and a lot more sturdy than you might think.
>>
>>911632
Here where I live, wood is 5 times more expensive than stones, you can get 1 cubic meter precuted stone for building for about 50 euro, and the wood would cost almost 300-400 and if you want treated wood it can go up to 500 for several cubic meters.

And when you compare the longevity of wood vs stone + the needed sheeting materials of the wood frame house, insulation etc. the price could go up to double.

That's only when you build it yourself, no labor paid to anyone, just the cost of the materials.

And the cheapest option is steel framing and thin non structural concrete walls. But that could be ugly if done wrong.
>>
File: tumblr_mlth11BKlR1rsswhpo1_500.jpg (219 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mlth11BKlR1rsswhpo1_500.jpg
219 KB, 500x667
>>917090
>As strong as the weakest link in the chain " "

When these wires/meshes of steel/iron rust its going to collapse, they are good for landscaping and temporary stuff, but I wouldn't live in it after 10-20 years. Ofc, if you build in desert or some dryland its going to last much longer but I prefer the overengineer stuff like that.

BUT if you cast a concrete wall on both sides you can add up some more structural strength and years of live to it.
>>
Obligatory Dick Proenneke post.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3NRdZ8J24Q
>>
>>911627
Watch out for squatters. One tip is you can build the entrance low so you have to go in headfirst, that instinctively puts a lot of people off.
>>
OPs pic: surrounded by trees

build a house with a bunch of rocks, wtf?

You'd have to be a seriously skilled stone mason not to kill yourself attempting to build such a structure. Build with trees, they're lighter and easier to work with and hence used for obvious reasons. Especially when said building collapses in a wind storm you may have a chance to survive.
>>
>>918195
you dont have to be a mason
European peasants built stone houses for thousands of years
its simple
the bottom of the wall is wider than the top
>>
>>917078
Straya cunt!
>>
>>91819

The walls weren't my concern, what about the roof? And what about the not-killing-yourself-during-a-storm issue?

Building this is non-trivial, tribal knowledge or not.
>>
File: arch.jpg (179 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
arch.jpg
179 KB, 1280x720
>>918256
you use the magic of arches something the romans are known for
its really simple you build a formwork of the arch you want then stack stone sideways till it all interlocks and self supports
>>
>>911627
Just get a container home, cut hole in ceiling for fireplace access, and you are set OP.
>>
>>918332
he could build a house twice the size for the same cost out of wood
dont you meme on me
>>
>>918333
MeMememeeeeeememmmmmmmmmmmmeeee
>>
>>918333
Have you priced wood lately expensive as fuck. I agree container homes are the way to cut cost tremendously and actually have one in my woods.
>>
>>918143
Yeah, i get what your saying about the mesh being the weakest link, but i suppose that argument is dependant on using weak links in your construction. I cant imagine using anything that wont outlast me, or at least last 50-60 years, so that pretty much means heavy gauge stainless steel, sure itll cost more than chicken wire or galvanised mesh from home depo, but youll end up with a modern stone castle you can pass on to your children.

Besides, the problems with gabion walls just present as puzzles to be solved, with modern building materials and building techniques, the issues that are presented as problems arent actually problems.
>>
>>918134
do you live in sudan or something?
>>
So, say for the sake of argument, I, like OP want a cute stone cottage, but built with modern materials. What would be the best/least impossible way to transport the materials to the building site if it is rather remote? An ATV with some sort of trailer or something?
>>
>>918652
rent a bulldozer and push out a road
you can use it to clear the site too
>>
>>918777
That seems like t would be pretty hard if there was anything but a straight flat plane from the nearest road only a few hundred feet away.

Do those things really work well enough to go for miles on rough terrain?
>>
>>918906
how do you think they build roads they dont just magically appear bulldozers push that shit out
>>
>>918907
I thought they had large crews of people to build roads with steam rollers and saws and explosives and all that. And that's when they don't just pick a flat straight and mostly clear patch to lay asphalt down on.

I guess I must have underestimated the humble bulldozer.
>>
>>918911
asphalt and cutting mountains are another whole nine yards
simple gravel roads can be pushed out in a day
>>
>>918911
Go watch Gold Rush if you want a nice overview of what heavy equipment can do.
>>
>>918652
well, my suggestion would be go somewhat modern. bring in gas and a chainsaw mill or a gas powered bandmill, mill 2x's, build a lean to with saplings and a tarp, stack with stickers under lean to for 6 months, come back and pick through all the warped boards for the ones that are good, build house, roof with tarp until you can bring in enough sheathing/shingles to do it properly (tarp would probably be ok on it's own for a year or so, seen tiny houses using it as a roof) bring in lath and plaster and insulation on ATV trailer (or wheelbarrow). Drywall is not going to happen if you have to carry it through the brush, it'll snap.
>>
make it out of gingerbread.
>>
File: 34343.gif (997 KB, 500x237) Image search: [Google]
34343.gif
997 KB, 500x237
>>918286
>mfw that pine tree uproots and takes out the whole fucking thing
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.