[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup anons Car won't start. Toyota Avalon 2002. Battery
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
Sup anons

Car won't start. Toyota Avalon 2002. Battery replaced a week ago

When I try to start the car I hear a loud click and then everything turns off won't even try to start. If I wait like 10 min all the lights will turn on but when I go to start it same thing happens

Any help?
>>
obtain meter.
check battery.

- it aint rocket science, anon, Whydyi replace old battery?
>>
>>911494
Sounds like your alternator has shit the bed. Google up how to test one and see how you go.
>>
>>911494
Prob bad alternator discharged your battery?
>>
>>911494
Something is draining your battery. I would start removing non-essential fuses, then check all bulbs. If it's still happening, take the battery in under warranty
>>
Does the car have an electric gauge on the dash? If so what does it read?
First check the cables to the battery. If loose tighten.
There might be enough power in the battery to work the lights, but not enough to start the car.
If cables are tight, charge battery, or jumpstart.
>>you do have jumper cables right?
If cables are tight and battery was low on charge, do electrical system check to see if voltage regulator or altinator are good
If electrical system is good, might be the starter.
>>
>>911494
If it won't even turn over it's your starter motor solenoid.

This is providing it was a good battery and your alternator is working fine.

If manual, bump start on the clutch.

Had a similar problem with another car.
>>
boost the car
>does it start?yes/no
if yes its probably not the starter
>unhook other car. does car stay running?y/n
if yes, then its probably not the alternator
>leave the car running, go for a long drive
>30min maybe
>did the car die while driving?y/n
if no, probably not the alternator
>if you have a battery gage this is where you would use it
>after the drive did the battery charge?y/n
>aka can you start the car again/later
if yes, then you left a light on/ probably,
if yes/no you can start it right after but not later parasitic draw some where in the system maybe
if no, you could not start it after the drive or later then your battery could be fucked, alternator not putting out full charge maybe
doesnt matter either way if youve gotten to this point.
check alternator on one of them testers
test battery on a load tester
check your cables
did you replace the battery or did a garage?
is it the right size?
>>
>>911494
My guess is the starter.

Get a multi-meter and make sure your new battery isnt dead from a bad alternator.

If battery is still in OK shape, find your starter and start hitting the shit out of it with something hard.
It could help it start back up a few times before its completely dead
>>
>>911542
> hitting the shit out of it with something hard.
That only works if the solenoid or slip gear is jamming AFAIK. The click followed by the voltage drop ("everything turns off") OP describes would suggest the solenoid is firing but there is not enough power available to turn the motor over. With the starter motor stalled it effectively present a dirty big short circuit across the battery, which would cause everything to drop.
>>
>>911494
new battery is dead because alternator isnt charging it properly.
/thread
>>
>>911494

do all the instrument light stay on or flicker, or is it just like normal but with just the clicking..

if its just clicking the starter might have a dead spot and the bendix is not engaging. rap on the starter with a hammer and then try starting it again.

i've known people who had a funky bendix on their starter and never replaced it for years. they just carried a small ballpeen hammer in their glove box and just hit their starter a couple times a month.

if your idiot lights are funky you could have a dead cell in the battery, that's why they have warranties.
>>
>>911547
Graphite dust from the brushes can make them stick in their housing. A few whacks usually loosens up the brushes but generally its a sign that they have worn too short and need replacing.
>>
>>911494
Check battery
If not battery, check alternator
If not alternator, check starter solenoid
If not starter solenoid, check starter
If not starter, check spark plugs
If not spark plugs, check fuel injectors
If not fuel injectors, scrap it - you're way over your head now anyway so just collect $200 from the scrap guys and move onto a new car
>>
It's the battery cables. They were partially cleaned when you swapped the battery, and now they're corroded again because you didn't protect them with dielectric grease and the red and green felt pads.

Don't even bother checking the alternator until you check the obvious stuff.
>>
>>912795
>>911610
Bretty much
>>
Main relay is bad
>>
I had exactly the same problem with a quite new battery last week. The battery was fucked but I recommend to do all the tests anons have mentioned.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.