[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What projects could I do with an old dreamcast that doesn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: Dreamcast.jpg (2 MB, 4540x2200) Image search: [Google]
Dreamcast.jpg
2 MB, 4540x2200
What projects could I do with an old dreamcast that doesn't work? I was just taking out all the parts and turning it into a case or something, but I would like to do something more creative and fitting for a recycled video game console.
>>
Make an awesome piggy bank, to make it more awesome; Make it play a sound when you open the lid.
>>
>>910616
Spray paint it and put sonic stickers on it then sell it to /vr/ saying it's an ultra rare edition only available in japan.
>>
>>910616
Turn it into a monument to Sega's glory days and ultimate downfall.
>>
>>910616
Fill empty shell with mealworms, send to Secret Santa.
>>
get a Odroid XU4, install emulation station, get a 1TB hard drive and enjoy having a working Dream Cast that doesn't require CDs
>>
File: motherboard.jpg (264 KB, 766x850) Image search: [Google]
motherboard.jpg
264 KB, 766x850
>>910616
Pretty much nothing

If it doesn't work, then it means you just have a white plastic case with a useless motherboard

You could create a future capsule, write some details about why is doesn't work, how you got it and so on, bury it, and forget about it
>>
>>911083
I wasn't hoping to make it into an emulator or do anything with the hardware, just make a Sega themed case or something I can put on my shelf
>>
>>910994
Odroid? Is that like a rpi?

>>910616
What is wrong with it? Are there any lights? Does the power brick work? Why not just fix it then use literally any 1$ plastic case from china for your retarded "what should i put in this box" project instead?
>>
>>911214
The part that holds the disk in place is broken and at this point it isn't worth trying to fix it just to play the 4 or 5 dream cast games that haven't aged horribly. But it still is my favorite system and I would like to do something with it.
>>
>>910709
But Anon it already is.
>>
>>911217
Anon, where are you from? I am looking for a dreamcast for spare parts, and I really believe it would be sad to only transform it into an enclusure...
Please mail me at mybrouette at gmail dot com if you would consider parting with it!
>>
>>911233
By the way I would also be interested any accessories or games if you want to keep the console for other purposes
>>
>>910616
Its really cute, so I would replace the innards with a mini/nano itx and convert the controller ports to USB with a hub or something.
>>
>>910616
You could very easily hollow it out and adapt USB/DC adapters for emulation, but a) securing a micro device capable of DC emulation is not easy and b) DC emulation is spotty even at the best of times.

Take it to a repair shop, then mod it if you wish. Plenty you can do with a DC when it's working.
>>
>>911217
>The part that holds the disk in place is broken and at this point it isn't worth trying to fix it just to play the 4 or 5 dream cast games that haven't aged horribly.
Yes it is, it'll be as cheap or cheaper than the guts you'd use for emulation. In addition, those games will look better on a tube TV, especially through the composite adapter.

Not to mention its definitely more than 5 games for sure.
>>
File: jetson-tk1.png (151 KB, 350x200) Image search: [Google]
jetson-tk1.png
151 KB, 350x200
>>912223

>not easy

http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/dreamcast/chankast.html

>Pentium 4 with at least 1.6 Ghz
256 MB Ram
>Windows XP or 2003 (It won't work under any other Windows)
>Latest DirectX
>Powerful Graphic Card such as Nvidia or Ati
>DC Bios (use search engines to find it)

http://www.nvidia.com/object/jetson-tk1-embedded-dev-kit.html
>>
>>912231
An emulator from 2005 isn't going to be very good.
>>
>>910616
This is pretty neat - roms run by SD card
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gTpylJi9wk

>>912254
just a proof of concept. NullDC runs at full speed now
>>
>>912640
On a 1.6 GHz P4 with 256MB RAM?
>>
>>910616
Well you could.... fix it
>>
>>912663
Doubtful, but mini/nano itx boards are running current processors with 8gb of ram now, so who cares
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.