[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is this type of chain link called? I have googled every
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: series oftubes.jpg (79 KB, 600x418) Image search: [Google]
series oftubes.jpg
79 KB, 600x418
What is this type of chain link called? I have googled every synonym to the word chain and can't find it anywhere, not even a picture so I had to draw one. Every other link roller switches axis and i need to know what it's called so I may purchase some. Either that or I need some other type of chain that is rigid can push against itself, yet still remain flexible. Also it needs to hold at least 300-400 pounds. Thanks.
>>
Sorry op. Hope the bump helps. My google-fu isn't turning anything up, but i know I've seen those kinds of chain before...
>>
Looks like a 2 dimensional cable carrier.
>>
>>910582
Always called similar chain barrel link.
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 1000x750
plastic toy snake chain.
>>
>>910664
I came in just to post something along these lines. Always the bridesmaid...
>>
They're sometimes sold as bike security chains. Try bike-shop?
>>
>>910582
SNAK
>>
>>910582
>What is this type of chain link called?
im not the expert on everything, but I am an oldfag... and i've only ever seen it used for the plastic snake toys

>>910629
>Looks like a 2 dimensional cable carrier.
places do make that, but it's not like what OP wants-
http://www.lappusa.com/Track-robot900.htm

>>910582
>Either that or I need some other type of chain that is rigid can push against itself, yet still remain flexible. Also it needs to hold at least 300-400 pounds. Thanks.
there is a device called a "chain rammer", that uses a chain that only bends one way--or two of these chains, and they interlock together as they are brought near to each other and straightened... but this isn't what OP wants either. And I've never seen "small" chain-rammer chain, ever. It's all big construction equipment size stuff.

you could make something like bicycle roller chain, but with every link turned 90°... I've never seen that IRL tho.
>>
>>910871
(continuing with further thoughts)...

there is a style of motorcycle lock called "cobralinks locks" that is a cable lock, but it has short sections of hardened steel sleeves around the cable and end fittings crimped on, so that you can't reach the cable itself without cutting through the steel sleeves first... something like that might work if you can DIY it and you don't need the inside of the thing empty (the locks seem rather expensive to buy, and they'd be fixed lengths anyway).
>>
>>910710
>>910634
>>910872

OP here, this is kinda what I'm looking for. Cobra links definitely got my attention as that type of chain might work for what I'm trying to do. The problem is that the 300-400 pound limit I set was with the weight of the chain in consideration. I need a chain that can be fed around a worm gear in both directions and then through a pulley and out at a 80-90 degree angle. The pulling direction is where the chain must bear the 400 pounds, the pushing direction only has to bear the weight of the chain itself and a piece of metal weighing 2-3 pounds. The problem with regular chain is that it has gaps where it buckles in on itself, this can jam the worm/ pulley mechanism which is why I need a flexible chain that has rigid joints. Regular roller chains won't bend the ways that I need it too so that's out.
Thanks for the help so far.
>>
>>910634
also looked this up but it looks like it's only available in jewelry, no industrial buy-by-length site so far.
>>
File: 1449315407594.jpg (170 KB, 1094x769) Image search: [Google]
1449315407594.jpg
170 KB, 1094x769
>>
>>910582
Why not diy? And make your own...?
>>
>>910902
thank you muchly
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.