[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to make laminated wood
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: DON'T FORGET TO VOTE.png (377 KB, 652x367) Image search: [Google]
DON'T FORGET TO VOTE.png
377 KB, 652x367
How do you make laminated wood?
Is it hard to do?
Is it hard to mill laminated wood?

Pic unrelated
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrCt5kJwcyw
>>
I have some experience laminating wood for table tops.

You need a jointer and a planer to do it well. With those in your kit, it's a piece of cake to dimension the laminations to be completely flat and of uniform thickness. Without it you need mad skills and patience with a hand plane, and even then the results won't be as good. A biscuit jointer is also very handy for lining up the laminations for the glue up. Without it, you will not be able to glue the laminations flush to each other. Pretty steep investment yes. If you aren't willing to do so, just go buy ready made table tops. They're better than the first 10 you'll make guaranteed.
>>
>>910550
bent wood furniture. IKEA is well known for it. I've made a bent wood ring, and it's neat. basically plywood is a laminated wood, however, laminated wood doesnot have to be cross ply, it can have the plys all facing the same way.

You can do basic bent wood laminations by cutting relatively large plys on the tablesaw, too, for things like chair frames, and using steam to bend the 1/8" boards onto a frame before glueing them together.
>>
>>910569
>>910580
>>910993

My idea is for a rifle stock
>>
>>911086
>>910550
It is very easy. You only need the wood pieces, a joining epoxy or glue, and a way to compress it until it is setup. There are many methods. Milling it isn't all that difficult. Keep in mind you can make several blanks of laminated material then glue then together instead of trying to do the entire thing at once.

Google up how to make, "diy micarta". It will show methods that you can also apply to wood materials. Some people even make micarta and use it as an insert into their mainly wood projects with stunning results.

There's also no need for a biscuit joiner or anything else. You are making blanks of millable wood that will be shaped. The edges do not matter if they don't match up before you mill it.
>>
File: 400-brown-gray-laminated-stock.jpg (121 KB, 900x186) Image search: [Google]
400-brown-gray-laminated-stock.jpg
121 KB, 900x186
>>911153
How do you go about staining?
I figure I don't have to worry about unstained milled spots in the wood since the wood pieces will be oober thin, but What about bigger pieces of wood?

>diy micarta
That's Badass
Thanks Anon
>>
>>911201
>bigger pieces of wood?
>good wording

Thicker pieces of woud?
>>
Seven easy steps if you want to make something nice and curved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXAeLwJ8fcw
>>
>>911201
Just mill, scrape, and stain, like any normal method. The milling and scraping will open up the wood grain and pores. Sanding will fill them so don't sand, scrape instead. Plate glass is excellent DIY scraping material, fyi.

The size of the wood doesn't matter. All that matters is that you are getting their sides to fit together and glued/epoxied in place. You just make a square big piece of stock and mill away at it.
>>
>>911259
So you don't stain the wood prior to the gluing?
>>
>>911484
No that can prevent the glue or epoxy from adhering properly which can cause problems layer on when it reacts to any heat or cold. It really depends on the method and type of staining you want to do. I would do it after you've scraped the final time.
>>
>>911487
See
>>911201
This is what I want to do.
>>
>>911495
Do some research on brands that you have access to. Read this fully and you'll better understand what and how to research and even make your own tests before you jump into it all the way. If it doesn't adhere well as a top coat over a stain then it won't do well for lamination either.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/epoxy-adhesion-over-stains/

You can stain test blocks, glue/epoxy them together then break them apart. See if the wood breaks or the glue/epoxy breaks. It should be the wood breaking if it works correctly. If the glue/epoxy breaks instead of the wood then use something else. Either different staining method, different glue/epoxy, or wood that is the color you want in the first place.
>>
>>910580
>>911086
you know that laminated stock blanks are available, yes?

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/laminated_blanks.htm

also you've heard of dymondwood?

im all for /diy/, but realistically trying to get full thickness dye penetration seems to require expensive equipment.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.