[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have this old freezer in my basement. It is a built in. My
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2
File: 20151202_211838.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20151202_211838.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I have this old freezer in my basement. It is a built in.

My plan is to take a chainsaw to it and cut it to peices to get it out.

Safety considerations besides PPE?
>>
>>909715You may find that the simple sawzall if a far better tool for your task...

Just sayin...
>>
>>909715
My only concern would be refrigerant gas leaking into and being confined in a small space, I don't know how you'd safely vent it out of the area.
>>
>>909715
Built-in, hows? I've never dealt with one before.
>>
>>909721
samefag here. I would not fucking use a chainsaw in any case. That's a recipe for kickback and severed meat.
>>
>>909715
Built in?

Chainsaw?

Dude. Don't use a chainsaw. Just get some normal tools to disconnect it from whatever it is attached to. Someone installed it in a logical way, just uninstall it.
>>
>>909715
by built in do you mean that it's bigger than the doorway to the basement and that it's stuck there?

also just use a sawzall... seriously thats going to be thin metal, plastic, and foam in between with the occasional pipe... a sawzall will do the job fine without spraying nearly as much small foam bits around...

as to the refrigerant look on the tag.. it's probably got less than 10 oz of R12 in it... which is technically illegal to vent to atmosphere... if you want to stay on the up and up side, call an appliance company and ask them to come out, and recover the refrigerant properly. .... or just cut the tubing yourself and don't let anyone see... don't go breathing it in... but unless the compressor has burned out it isn't overly deadly in its natural state in the amount your going to encounter... run a fan? *note if the compressor burned out then theirs the possibility it chemically converted some of the R 12 into phosgene gas.. which is fucking terrible for you.... so if your lungs start burning get away fast... phosgene was one of the more fun go to gasses from ww1 chemical warfare....

seriously though, don't use a chainsaw.. thats retarded
>>
>>909731
If you really, really Have to cut things up, work slowly. In most cases any pipes or wires are all in one location (the back in that unit, probably) so the front areas can be trimmed off if you really, really had to chop the thing into pieces to remove it (which is unlikely and dumb)
>>
It was built in as in, they poured the basement, lowered the freezer into the basement, and then built the basement.

The thing is too big for the stairs, and always has been.

I'll flip it upside down and try and disconnect and refridgerating parts and remove them whol instead of cutting them.

Ditto for the lid.

But I am going have to cut the sides.

I have sawzall but it doesn't get the job done like the chainsaw does. I love that thing.
>>
>>909743
sawzall should be less work because you're cutting through less metal @ 1/8" kerf vs 3/8" kerf. plus the metal may well fuck up your chain.

and >>909731 is right, your biggest issue is the refrigerant. it will fuck you up. see if there's a flush valve or something to let you drain it slowly, so it doesn't spray all over your face. do what you can to ventilate basement, too.
>>
>>909743
again... chainsaw has a large kerf and is going to throw foam everywhere.... a sawzall will leave you with a lot less mess to deal with... also the tubing will run through the wall of the freezer... on a chest freezer it usually wraps around the top... which is why they don't have an evaporator and fan assembly inside them...
>>
>>909743
again on the phosgene gas bit... the chlorine in r 12 converts to phosgene when burned if I remember correctly... so if you do vent it in the basement try and put out any open flames (gas water heater, furnace.) ... if you start smelling damp hay or fresh cut grass... thats a terrible sign...
>>
>>909754
other than that R 12 just displaces oxygen since its heavier, but I highly doubt your going to have enough in that freezer for that to be an issue.. especially if you hook up a fan...
>>
>>909731
>>909749
>>909754
>>909755
>... ... ... ... ...

Are you twelve? Stop doing that. You sound even more retarded than Mr Chainsawophilia here.
>>
smash the short sides with a sledge to bend them in the middle, and then just keep smashing the long sides until its pretty flat-ish
>>
Seriously? A chainsaw? How about you just disassemble it with a screwdriver, pliers, a couple wrenches and a crow bar. Don't destroy your chainsaw. Well, I mean, I fully support survival of the fittest, so do what you wish.
>>
>>909731
>phosgene gas.. which is fucking terrible for you

Now there's a sentence for "Understatement of the Year 2015"
>>
File: 0fb.jpg (169 KB, 750x574) Image search: [Google]
0fb.jpg
169 KB, 750x574
>>909715
>>
>>909731
>>909754
>>909755

Ignore this clown. Its not going to be R12 refrigerant in there. Its going to be R134a which doesn't contain chlorine and is relatively safe in the quantity within a freezer. Just go cut one of the pipes coming off the compressor to allow the gas out a bit slower and put something under to catch the bit of oil that will come with the gas.

then DONT use a chainsaw to cut it in pieces. thats fucking stupid. a chainsaw is for cutting wood, not metal, foam, wire.
>>
>>909897
That freezer looks old as fuck, though, so it's probably got R12 in it.
>>
>>909743
There is no fucking way someone poured a basement, lowered the freezer, then AYYY let's build the rest of the house now.

Take the lid off the freezer or open up a door to fit the freezer.
>>
Whelp, I used a chainsaw to start the cut because sawzal was being a bitch about it. I was going to make cuts to bend down the outside layer and take off the cooling system as a whole, but then I heard a loud gurgling sound coming from the freezer.

So now I upstairs and am going to watch an episode of MASH and the go back downstairns and make four cuts and beat the shit out of it with a sledge hammer.
>>
>>909938
RIP
>>
if your right then ignore this. but i frequently help a friend with a used appliance business. many times taking the door off the appliance is sufficient. if your house doors won't open all the way take it off the hinges. these two steps usually add sufficient room and together can easily add two - four inches clearance. take the feet off the appliance adds a small amount.
>>
>>909937
Seen vintage oil heating systems the size of a fucking barn, in old basements acessible only via glorified trapdoors. An ancient compressor (for coolsystems) that must have weighed at least a ton, probably two, balanced 6m high on two wooden beams in the roof of a restaurant - it looked as tho it predated the building by a couple of decades at least. Lathes that fucking *must have* been built around, even when reduced to smallest component? no fucking way. Washing machines in rooms where the (slightly smaller) door frame was obviously an afterthought, et-fucking-cetery.

For, I have seen all this strange phenonoma, anon - it exists, and shall continue to exist - mainly, as no one has clue-fucking-a how to remove the fuckers.
>>
>>909797
>>
>>909897
you realize if your going to give anonymous advice online you may as well give safe advice...

sure it might be 134A... but I've seen plenty with R-12.

If I'm wrong he's wasted some time.

if your wrong and it all hits the fan it could ruin his day...

at least you agree that the chainsaw is retarded...
>>
>>909938
shine on OP you crazy diamond.
>>
WHELP HERE ARE THE RESULTS:

>The people said if I just took the frames off my door and the banister of my stairs it'll go

After measuring with a tape measure instead of my eyeball, it turns out it would have fit. But then I would have had to call two friends, take the frames off, and move my fridge and stove upstairs because I would need space at the top of the stairs. Fuck that.

>The people who said I would break my chainsaw
Sure did. Irrepairably so. Shattered the sprocket that drives the chain.

>The people who said I'd die
Nope. Try again next time.

Instead of three people in less than two hours doing it the not retarded way, I did it by myself dangerously & retardedly in three.
>>
>>910155
PS
>Number of sawzall blades bent beyond use
>>
>>910155
please give the chainsaw a proper burial in the backyard.
>>
>>910155
>4chan
>Where the right advice is given, but anons will still be autistic as fuck and chainsaw a freezer to pieces in order to move it out of a basement.
>>
How was mash though?
>>
>>909715
You're doing it wrong.

List on craiglist free or cheap.

Watch other ppl remove your problem without lifting a finger.
>>
>>909937
That's standard operating procedure for shit like large appliances, pool tables(the slate ones), and safes.
Not everyone buys a used house.

The only other way to get those things into a building is to knock out a wall and part of a floor to be able to lower it into the basement with a crane.
>>
>>910158
Were you using wood blades and bearing down on the saw? Jesus Christ, I've never bent a sawzall blade in my life, and I do demolition for a living.
>>
Self and thousands of mechanics cut off sections of cars and cut them in half ("clipping) in salvage yards using metal cutting Sawzall blades. It's typical to bend a few on a car but they usually can be tapped back to "straight enough" with a hammer after removing them from the recip saw and placing them on a flat surface. I cut gutted pickup trucks in half (unbolt cab, cut frame channels just behind the front suspension) to make trailers. Easy to to and the blades last longer if you hit them with the cheapest spray oil you can find.

Used old-style (allen bolt blade retainer rather than quick release) recip saws go dirt cheap at yard sales and flea markets.

If you want parts they are readily available online.

Happy slaying!
>>
>>909937
my house was built in '52 and has a giant fucking oil tank in the basement.

it's still there because i'd have to cut it up to get it out and i'm a lazy man.

it's huge and there's no way it was brought in after the basement was finished.
>>
>>910155
Shit man would have been nice to witness that! You made my day, best laugh today.
>>
>>910155
>Nope. Try again next time
You mean you didn't learn your lesson the first time?
>>
>>910703
He means "wrong answer, I clearly didn't die, better luck next time"

Lrn2Comprehension.
>>
>>909718
has anyone ever gotten high off refrigerant gas?
>>
>>910155
so it cost you a sprocket/clutch drum + chain?

not bad for laughs
>>
>>909715
>Freezer
>Basement
>Chainsaw
What is this thread really about anon?
>>
>>909897
>>909900
>>910111
R12 isn't dangerous to humans. Back in the 70s I worked in a company that made walk-in coolers. We'd just leave the coolant hose running on the floor if we needed to do something quick. The shit was so cheap and nobody had ever heard of ozone. It was used in medicine, hairspray and silly string FFS.

ITT, damn kids get off my lawn.
>>
>>910735
Ive heard reports of people kids huffing freon.
It sounds like an awful idea, just like any other inhalant.
>>
>>910833
in it's normal form it won't hurt you unless you manage to get enough of it to displace a meaningfull amount of oxygen, however when it burns it can become very dangerous.

also your probably the reason we need to put sunscreen on penguins....
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.