[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What types of places will sell small quantities of steel for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
What types of places will sell small quantities of steel for diy projects?
I'm looking for about 4 feet of 8'' wide c channel steel. I've called a few small fab shops that don't have any and industrial supply places that will only sell me a 20' section
>>
>>909456
I say try asking the closest trade school.
>>
>>909456

Welcome to the world of people who like to do industrial crap for a hobby. I'm lucky enough to live near a metal yard that caters to anyone who walks in. You pay a bit of a premium for small pieces (in the form of cutting fees), but not too bad.

Look around and see if you can find any such place near you. If not, yeah, you're kind of stuck asking people/businesses who themselves would be using it.
>>
discountsteel. They'll sell you any length you want. They will charge you a cut fee and if you're not local, shipping which won't be cheap.
>>
>>909471
I looked at a couple places online but they all wanted at least $40 for shipping so i was trying to avoid that.
I finally found a fab shop that says they have what I need.
>>
>>909456
http://www.speedymetals.com/default.aspx

Haven't ever actually ordered, just bookmarked them to answer anonymous retards questions. And for my projects.
>>
>>909456
Where do you live?
My wife's at work, I can have her look it up.
>>
>>909456
Look for steel shops that sell to the public, and specifically ask if they have any drops for sale. Most steel shops will have a ton of drops that they can't sell at full price because no customer wants them so they (usually) sell them at a high discount.
Near me there is a steel supplier that does just this. It's very nice since I blacksmith and getting stock to fuck around with can be expensive if you don't know where to look.
>>
>>909456
if you live near any large city, there is usually at least one metals supplier there ('large city' means ~ 1mil population)

call around and ask for places that sell small pieces

many places that don't really sell small pieces will still sell you 'drops'; these are the cut-off ends of longer pieces that they sold already

sometimes these places also sell salvage, which might have rust, holes or other issues, but it is still useful and they charge a lot less than for new metal

Hint: tell them you will pay in cash, and don't need a receipt. bring money, not your credit card. bring different bills so you can pay the exact amount; don't expect them to have change

you can also ask at welding supply shops if there is any places around that sell small pieces; they often know too

in the USA there are trailer-repair places that say they have "metal stock", but they usually only have a small supply on hand of the kinds of common beams used for trailer repair. and they don't want to deal with ordering anything other than what they would use anyway

there are also the cut-to-order online places. If you use these, you will probably pay 2-3X as much as you would by paying cash at a local metals yard,,,, but sometimes the convenience is worth it.

And if you want anything exotic like titanium or nickel alloy stuff, IME is way easier to order that online. Local places never have that stuff--they mainly just have common aluminum and steel structural alloys.
>>
Some of the local scrap yards sell around these parts.
>>
>>909456
airgas if midwestish gotten stuff there before cut to length
>>
>>909492
Not op. But can you find me a place that sells diffrent kinds of steel locally? I live in kissimmee florida. I need mostly round stock and flat... Legth doesnt matter as long as it isnt over priced as fuck. Ill buy 10 foot lengths.
>>
McMaster Carr?
>>
Back from the machine shop.
They cut me a piece from something they had left over from a project, added some cuts specific to my project, and cut me some small sections of 3x3x1/4 angle.
The guy said $30 for everything and that's about a third of what I was expecting from looking online.
Definitely trying there first if I need metal again
>>
>>909456
>OP not telling where he lives
>expects fast answers
Burma? Germany? Canada? Antarctica (this can be a bit tricky!)? Russia?
>>
I have two places here. One sells to commercial business, and the public. I can get left over cut offs after they fill a commercial order. The other place is a fabrication shop, for a case of beer I get to rummage through their scrap bins. Most medium sized cities should have both.
>>
>>910306

>fab shop
>case of beer

I have never met a fabricator that isn't drunk half the time. Why?
>>
I have a welding shop and local scrap yard I use for odds and ends. Anything over say, 300 lb's I'll email the local steel yard. Sure you're a small fry but be polite and don't waste their time and they'll treat you right.
>>
>>909782
Is Alro up there? The one in S FL is my hookup for offcuts.

Bottom line is you have to call around. Ask other hobbyists who they use. I found current supplier asking on a local biker forum.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.