[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Something inside my all-plastic Harbor Freight digital calipers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 696x271) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 696x271
Something inside my all-plastic Harbor Freight digital calipers broke and now there's a lot of play between the jaws aka it's useless.

What is the best in-between digital calipers that are better than the chinashit Harbor Freight variety and stupid expensive Mitutoyo/Starrett/etc calipers?? Something very high quality, steel, and guaranteed accurate for $40-60?
>>
>>909263
>guaranteed accurate for $40-60
none

the stainless harbor freight ones are fine for $10. take them apart and wash out all the grit and garbage, lube, reassemble. they only get grossly inaccurate when the batteries are dying. buy a stack of fresh maxells off ebay.
>>
You can buy a mitutoyo like in your pic used for ~$50.
>>
>>909284
Pic related. $200 solar calipers not even a year old vs a 10+ year old one I got recently for $50 or something used.
>>
>>909263
Buy a set of Igaging calipers on amazon.
Apparently they are the same as the mitutoyo knock offs, which are decent.
>>
File: resized(1).jpg (505 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
resized(1).jpg
505 KB, 1024x576
>>909287
>>
buy a Mitutoyo for $40-60
>>
IIRC, you can get Fowler ones for around that price. I haven't used their digitals, but their dial calipers and mics seem pretty good.
>>
>>909263
just get the mitutoyos, they outlast the cheapo brands by atleast a decade
>>
Mitutoyo is master race. I got a 200mm solar powered one. It was sorted out at work due to calibration issues. I analyzed what was up, slid it all the way back, and put the scale in a vise. Gave the fixed jaw slight hits with a rubber hammer until the outside jaws were perfectly parallel again. Did the same with the inside jaws. It sounds crude and like nothing a sophisticated person would do, but it actually works very well. I have a 10.00mm shaft that fits precisley into a 10.00mm bearing, and now my caliper shows 10.00mm as well for the shaft as for the inner race of that bearing.
>mfw I own the best caliper of the whole company
> the workshop guys marvel at it when I bring it to work, of course only for private work
>€0 paid
>>
>>909263
>all-plastic
>calipers

So like do they adjust for temperature or can you only ever use them in one temp?
>>
>>909995
Every 100 degrees F steel expands 1 thou. Sooo your whole "plastic expands with temperature, plastic is so horrible!" argument is invaild.
>>
>>910015

What/where are you measuring that's more than 100F above calibrated room temp?

What are you measuring that requires < +/- .001 inch tolerances at that temperature?

Why are you not also taking into consideration the thermal expansion of the piece you're working on, because you're much more likely to find yourself measuring a hot piece of work than you are to find yourself measuring something in a room where the ambient temperature matters that much.

Why not just get a set of mics?
>>
Graf's and Sons makes a stellar one for the money.

Designed for the cheap ass reloader.
>>
>>909263

Here you go.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Mitutoyo-500-196-20-30-150mm-6-Absolute-Digital-Digimatic-Vernier-Caliper-/181864273684?hash=item2a57f49714:g:78gAAOSw9r1V8UA9

Might be a chinese counterfeit, but for $30 it's still a bargain.
>>
>>910015
Let's see how far you get with some PVC calipers.
>>
>>909284
this, also seconding Fowlers
>>
>>910020
I like you
>>
File: 20151203_155234-1.jpg (3 MB, 3674x1361) Image search: [Google]
20151203_155234-1.jpg
3 MB, 3674x1361
>>909289
Ayyy
>>
>>910020
I wasnt talking about plastic calipers.. I was defending plastics. You should read things in a way that they are written. Not treat it like some conspiracy theory posted on /pol/

>>910039
Lets see how well you deal with a dick in your ass.
>>
Get a good vernier caliper off Ebay. They're cheap, accurate, and there's nothing to fail.
>>
File: Workzone.jpg (3 MB, 5255x2321) Image search: [Google]
Workzone.jpg
3 MB, 5255x2321
>>910068
>being rich enough to buy pittsburgh tools

My $2.50 calipers I bought at Aldis. They were $10 but I nabbed them on clearance. Wont have the repeatability of an NIST certified set, but if you needed that sort of accuracy you wouldnt be looking for cheap calipers.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.