[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup, /diy/. I made pic related, it's a jar with olive oil
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: hacker-olive-oil-lamp.jpg (72 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
hacker-olive-oil-lamp.jpg
72 KB, 640x480
Sup, /diy/. I made pic related, it's a jar with olive oil and a standard kerosene lamp wick that's safe to burn inside and is non-flammable by nature of the olive oil.

But I was wondering, I've seen people with Poi that change the color of their flames using chemicals such as strontium salt (for red color), and I was curious as to whether or not you can achieve this with a lamp like this while still maintaining the same level of health safety. I don't want to suffocate myself, obviously, so I would like to know if this is possible for indoor use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks dudes
>>
>>908809
Yeah, just dissolve the salt of your choice in the olive oil, but you will need to add alcohol to make the salt disolve.
>>
>>908812
How much alcohol do you think I should use? And should it just be straight rubbing alcohol?
>>
>>908809
Non-flammable. Bullshit. Knock that shit onto your carpet while its lit and see just how non-flammable it is. The same goes for any liquid fueled flame.

Yes, it has a very high ignition temperature, but its hardly classifiable as "non-flammable"

As to the salts. Why would you want to add anything that will be burned off, sent into the air as soot for you to breathe into your lungs.

I have no idea what say strontium chloride would do during combustion, but do you think anything good could come from strontium in your lungs?
>>
>>908812
What emulsifier are you suggesting he use to make the aqeuous, polar, phase miscible in the non-polar olive oil?
>>
>>908815
It was just a question, anon. Just looking for a simple answer.
>>
>>908817
And I gave a simple response. Do you want to breath metals into your lungs like strontium, barium, boron, titanium and the like?
>>
>>908820
I literally said in the OP that I was simply curious, and I don't want to suffocate myself. If it's not possible to maintain health safety then all you had to do was say nope sorry. You don't have to be an asshole about it.
>>
Don't get complacent, it'll still burn your house down given the chance.

As for dissolving salts, just off the top of my head you could dissolve them in water to a saturated solution then mix it in with the oil. Use mustard powder as an emulsifier.

But I wouldn't do it myself, at least not in an enclosed space
>>
>>908840
Yeah I'll just accept it's not possible, and that's cool. I just peaked my interest somewhat. It'll have to stay as an outside lighting project.

Thanks guys
>>
>>908841
Now don't give up lad!

Get yer hands on some of those fancy asked salts and some fine sugar. Get your mates out camping and before/after the scary story chuck some of that shit in the campfire
>>
>>908845
That's what I mean, I won't be doing it inside.
>>
>>908821
Im not being an asshole. I called bullshit on the fact that in the OP, you yourself asserted it was non-flammable. Thats bullshit and I called it as such.

After calling bullshit I pointed out the sentiment behind why someone might call it so (incorrectly). I then admitted knowing nothing about the combustion chemistry of metallic salts, followed by asking you a simple question. Regardless of what they put into the air, would you want to breath it in?

Nowhere in my post was I an asshole to you. But I will now because you're clearly an oversensitive pussy raised by pussy parents who thought you could do no wrong thus insulating you from common fucking discourse.
>>
>>908850
Actually mate, I'd definitely describe you as a cunt if asked
>>
>breathing in strontium
Enjoy your bone cancer.
>>
>>908816
Washing up liquid.
>>
>>908850
New poster and I'll also add that you did react like an asshole.
>>
>>908850
Here's someone who could use an ego-death. Take a load of mushrooms then re-read your posts.
>>
>>908850
Don't mind these fuckers. You are not an asshole mate, they just haven't seen any real assholes.
>>
There must be some less toxic alternatives.

I know copper sulphate burns with a green flame. I heard it was toxic in larger measures but I don't know about its oxidised byproducts in the quantities you're talking about.
>>
>>908809
You could try running the metal through the wick. Copper for green would be easy to try.

Op, this is one of those things where trying is easier than asking, and 1000x useful.
>>
>>908850
Answering a question by asking a rhetorical one is seen as rude by pretty much anyone. It is condescending.
>>
Doesn't burning vegetable oil smell like shit?
>>
>>908820
suicide by suffocation recommended
>>
>>908814
Do not use rubbing alcohol if you plan on using this indoors. Rubbing alcohol has acetone and other chemicals added to it by the ATF to keep people from drinking it. The acetone will produce an extremely sooty smoke. If you're dead set on using alcohol as a solvent, use something like Everclear or vodka. As a chemist though, I would strongly discourage you from burning any metals to make pretty colors, it's not safe.
>>
>>911692
>As a chemist though, I would strongly discourage you from burning any metals to make pretty colors, it's not safe.
>As a chemist

>thinks that the ATF adds acetone to isopropyl alcohol.

>chemist
Bulllllshiiiiit
>>
dont use cheap jars
they can explode from heat stress and you will have a fire
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.