[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /diy/ suggest me a cheap pump for a dive helmet i'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 21
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 469x251) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 469x251
Sup /diy/ suggest me a cheap pump for a dive helmet i'm making. Preferably running on 12 volts, but i can make 120v work. I need something that is oilless or i need to make a carbon filter in line with the air hose.
Inb4
>urll die feg xDdd
>>
File: electric dive helmet.jpg (18 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
electric dive helmet.jpg
18 KB, 480x270
>>
>>908638
urll die feg xDdd
>>
>>908641
why dress like chicken?
why take off shoes?
>>
>>908638
I do hope you have read up on safety.
https://youtu.be/LEY3fN4N3D8
Pressure differences are dangerous...
>>
>>908650
how does this make any sense whatsoever. this is fucking pure autism. the plane accelerates faster than the car so no shit its gonna get lift
>>
>>908661
what does a plane and car have to do with being squeezed into a diving helmet
>>
>>908650
I have scuba experience and dont plan on diving past 15 feet. Thanks for the concern.

Any ideas for somehow making a bicycle pump run off a electric motor? Kinda like a sewing machine mechanism?
>>
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
Your best bet for reliability is to get an oiled pump.
Get a standalone pump and drive it with a gas engine or if you want to stay electric use a scooter motor.
of course you probably dont need a twin cylinder pump to keep up with breathing needs
>>
>>908679
>bicycle pump

The simple shaft kind? Honestly, look up those motor powered automatic dildo fuck machines. The way they work is exactly what you need to do.
>>
>>908682
I agree about the air pump.
Does anybody know a diy filter design so i dont die from oil inhalation?
>>
>>908686
Most of those i have seen have been powered by reciprocating saws
>>
>>908691
you should be able to use something like a car air filter to catch any oil that will be going through the system.
>>
>>908704
I'm talking about microscopic particles. Apparently inhaling that shit makes people black out.
>>
File: Compression-Sprayer.jpg (13 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Compression-Sprayer.jpg
13 KB, 400x400
>>908638
free diving. Strap some backpacks on this shit.
>>
The Legorobot dude built himself a diving helmet and survived, go look through his old blog posts. I'd link you, but 4chan's spam filter sucks shit.
>>
>>908638
Bobby urll die feg xDdd
>>
File: 8247_Right_D.jpg (14 KB, 293x310) Image search: [Google]
8247_Right_D.jpg
14 KB, 293x310
>>908730
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/GovernmentSolutions/Home/ProductInformation/ProductCatalog/~/3M-Particulate-Respirator-8247-R95-with-Nuisance-Level-Organic-Vapor-Relief-120-cs?N=5928575+4294936887&rt=d
>>
>>908944
Lol. Nice idea.

I'll post results soon. The thread might die so i might have to make a new one. I actually found a small oilless compressor i can use.
>>
>>908638
Anon, don't fuck with improvised diving equipment. You'll an hero or be fucked for life.

Diver here.
>>
>>908944
>>908948
To be more precise, make a filter out of the mask, don't just wear it.
oil vapor can fuck up your eyes too if i remember correctly. loosens your cornea.
>>
>>908679
So do I.
The lungs don't have especially strong muscles, try to use a garden hose at 5m, dive down and put the hose in your mouth (it being airfilled obviously) and report back how it felt. I believe it will suck the air out from your lungs, that's what you want to prevent.
You need to concern about the pressure staying in the helmet, not any pump.

You breathe in 21%02 air and out something like 18? 16?. This will lower the oxygen content in the helmet and CO2 poison you if you plan on diving with a nigger rigged bicycle pump. Just check how long it takes to fill a tire to 1,5bar (absolute) with your pump and then calculate how much is needed per breath, probably at least 20l/min (and that's at the surface), so 30L @ 1,5bar. Per minute.
Just use a compresor and use a filter that the techdivers use. Or make one yourself, it's basically active carbon. Just don't breathe IT then.
Source:
Research diver for 10years
Scuba diver instructor
Research diver instructor
Been using the interspiro, exo26, band mask, AH3 and AH5.
Interspiro used to give me splitting headaches due to CO2 poisoning and that was just bad breathing technique, not DIY dive gear...
I live underwater the whole summer, and partly under the ice also....
>>
Actually at our dive club we have the most powerful scubacompressor any recreational diver have seen. It gives out over 1000L/min. It has a filtration system that is DIY. I'll have to ask my boss who built it, we have a scuba intro on Thursday so if I remember I'll report back!
I love the machine, if you are out diving every fucking day it's bliss to just pop by at the warehouse we keep it and fill all your tanks in just minutes!
>>
>>908968
Yeah, i've decided to go with an oilless compressor. It should be able to pump enough air.
>>
>>908970
Thanks, bro.

UPDATE
I'm using a grill propane tank for the helmet. I'll post some pictures once i start to chop it up. Probably tomorrow.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>909130
Here is the tank. I got the top valve off anf illed it with water and dawn to displace the propane. Thats it for tonight though.
>>
>>909130
>used propane tank

FYI, the odorant in a propane tank makes the inside stink like Satan's arse. Have fun scrubbing that out. I gave up and bought a virgin tank.
>>
>>909278
Any pics of your project?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Here is the head hole in the bottom
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
The main veiwing port is 8"x5"
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Two 3"x3" veiwing ports
>>
>>908638
question- why bother with a hard helmet?

the earliest atmosphere fed diving helmets resembled leather skin bags worn over the head fed with skins fashioned into a tube.

it seems like it would be a lot easier with a plastic bag and garden hose
>>
>>909640
Ballast.
>>
>>908968
>What is a check valve
>>
>>909640
You could do it like that. People apparently use those 5 gallon water jugs, which would work just as well. I'm using the propane tank mostly for astetics and "coolness" factor. The added weight is a positive side effect.
>>
>>909632
You should do a hydrostatic test on that when you're done to model its failure, then take half that as a margin of safety when you rebuild it for the dept you can reach.

Also yes, check valves, that will keep you from being pumped up to the surface if your pump fails via your air hose as you see in the Mythbusters episode.
>>
>>909650
Something that is really really really important in a project like this?
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 250x333) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 250x333
>>909674
There will be no suit in accompaniment with this helmet. The bottom will be open and let gas freely flow out. Therefore, if the compessor fails, the helmet would flood (if no check valve is installed) but the user would not be crushed.

Also, due to the nature of the open bottom, there is no force on the helmet from the water because the air pressure on the inside of the helmet is equally pushing outward.
>>
>>909690
Your body will be in the way of the fluid flow and get stuck to the bottom of your helmet and still get sucks up the hose man.
>>
>>909712
Yeah? My body is going to make a perfect seal with the helmet? Even if it does. Maybe a i should have specified but air will not just be leaving from the bottom of the helmet. There will be a hole near the bottom located on the rear of the helmet. This ensures that the bubbles will not obstruct ones view.
>>
>>909716
Dude, lots and lots people died in horrible horrible ways underwater. There's a lot written about how to avoid many of those deaths. We're down to what can usually be called user error when someone dies, usually they overlook one of those sings someone died frm the in the past and wrote down. One of those things is "Have a fucking check valve in this application" Your relief valve isn't going to have enough flow to keep your body from getting sucked up the hose.
>>
>>909716
Ponder this for a moment:
If the compressor breaks and there is no check valve and the helmet flushes air out to the surface then you will have a pressure differential for as long as there is air in the helmet.
How much of a pressure difference does matter?
Well do you really want to find out the hard way?
How much of a pressure difference do you think for example your ears can handle?
Do you think for example that it is more than in a plane? You have diving experience and you maybe think that diving to 5m without equalizing once is a piece of cake?
The inrushing water will obviously equalize the difference but how hard is it to understand that a check valve is such an easy and cheap way to prevent harm so why are you fighting to not include it? Maybe you are stupid? Then again you deserve the fate you might have as there has been so many people on this board telling you it's a good idea. If you can't stand it that someone points out the stupid in your design then maybe you should consider presenting it to another community. Some that is frequented only by retards, not just mostly of retards like this.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 660x342) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 660x342
>>
And some more additions. Do you DIY a lot? Do you ever have projects that fail in an unexpected way? If you do DIY and your projects always succeed then I bow to your mightiness and shut up but if you are a mortal like me then there perhaps might go something wrong in your plan.
Then you might want to have a backup plan for the unlike chance that something goes awry. Can you get up from the pond quickly enough? Are you planning on CESA or just run uphill? Are you going to have a lot of weights, and how do you dump them or maybe you are planning on having a emergency tank with a standard demand valve regulator? Do you plan on practicing in very shallow water some emergency methods that you can utilize when you have lost mobility/vision/air supply or several or all of the above? Do you have some emergency plan or safety diver to assist you, at least in the beginning before you are 100% sure that everything works and you can handle the stress you get when you are sure you are going to die (I have had it, not especially pleasant)? These are factors I'd consider.
Then again I have been both in the commercial and recreational dive business for years and have seen what might happen when the shit hits the fan. Never experienced any deaths in my crew but some close calls.

So I'm not saying you shouldn't do this, that would be stupid and arrogant. Just what I'd consider when diving with backyard dive equipment.
After all this is nothing compared to the awesomeness of what Mr Cousteau did with DIY gear. But maybe it's good to remember that some of his crew also died during their experiments.
And it cannot be stressed enough that Cousteau was the man!
>>
>>909849
You seem rustled.
First of all, yes i am planning to have a check valve. I was just pointing out the flaw in your statement about me being sucked up the hose. Shit doesnt work like that with a open system. Its almost like you are on the internet spewing memes.
>>
>>909854
Yeah, planning on testing the helmet in a indoor pool. Weights will be strictly attached to the helmet and the helmet will be easily taken off. You seem to have a lot of concerns. Perhaps you should think of practical solutions and report back. Thats how we have constructive conversations on the internet.
>>
>>909855
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in my scuba training course, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret deep sea salvage operations, and I have over 300 confirmed dives. I am trained in underwater construction and I’m the top diver in the entire US. You are nothing to me but just another landlubber. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of deep sea explorers across the USA and your propane tank is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my harpoon guns. Not only am I extensively trained in underwater exploration, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Navy SEALs and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the ocean, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit water all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo
>>
>>909902
Nice meme
>>
>>909902
Very nice try. Although I did not have the interest to read the whole post. Be more observant next time, if one speaks of liters and meters the prolly aren't americunts. Just sayin'
Just speculating on my train of thought here, as one of my colleagues said that you should proceed from problem to problem.

Anyway, talked to my boss about the compressor and its filtration system. There used to be a molecular sieve of sorts to filter CO but he said that it doesn't filter CO levels that are harmful (just have his word on this though) and it also collects water. So its removed nowadays. We didn't really have time to chat, we were just dumping lots of gear to the warehouse.
The only filter present is just active carbon which is kept in place with some foam filters of sorts, basically it lies on top of some foam shit which keeps most of it inside. Very much DIY, there are some liters of the stuff in it, don't really know much. I tried to take a picture but phone was almost out of battery so fuck that, it refused.

Modern even remotely okay store bought dive gear fails never compared to human error. So basically I'd say that with normal scuba gear the risk is
Risk=(human error)
When you build your own shit there exists the human error also in the gear when you are on the prototype level. Leads to the risk being
Risk=(Human error)*(Human error)
Significant difference....

A dive helmet isn't complicated. Diving isn't complicated. But it doesn't mean there can't be complications if you don't think shit trough. Thoroughly thought out and practiced shit is good shit so I believe your project can indeed be a successful one! Doesn't mean that it necessary is.

Update with data if you indeed survive this, which is probable. I have seen one dive helmet made out of a bucket once, never seen it used but there are stories.
>>
>>909856
That is also true. When I have some time I will ponder this. As it is your ass on the line I suggest you ponder also. I'm stating the potential problems that I see and would address before I'd venture underwater if I'd build something like this. Which I probably will not.

Everything gets so serious on the internet which is hilarious!

And add a water and oil separators to the air line, as those will remove lots of the gunk already! Moisture isn't as big of a problem though with low pressure systems...........
>>
>>910011
Thanks. I'll definitely report back when i make more progress. Tomorrow i will probably begin making the chest plate for the helmet.
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Todays progress if anybody is interested
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>
>>910624
you will have a lot of dead air space in that, but I like it
>>
>>911256
Yay. Get the flow going. Srsl skip the bicycle pump....
>>
I can't wait to see this on the news
>>
Just a quick thought, isn't it ideal to not make the viewports rectangular, for sealing reasons? I am under the impression that circular ports are much better for maintaining seal integrity. Anyway, good luck with your testing.
>>
File: divinghelmet2.jpg (36 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
divinghelmet2.jpg
36 KB, 600x800
>>908638

I did this, it's a lot of fun but you need to do your homework or you're liable to kill yourself.

You want a continuous duty cycle, 3.0cf per minute electric compressor. You'll also want an inline moisture trap/filter, you want the air you receive to be as pure and dry as possible.
>>
>>911316
Are you the dopediver guy?
Is the moisture really an issue, the pressure difference is so small in a low pressure system?
>>
>>911333

The acrylic does fog up but that can be mitigated using some of the no-fog stuff divers wipe on the inside surface of their goggles.

It's not to do with pressure but exposure to the surface of the water around your neck/shoulders in an enclosed space.

And yes I have tripped balls underwater on a few occasions.
>>
>>911335
Sounds intense, did you get anxious at times? I know I would.
>>
File: divedivedive.jpg (103 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
divedivedive.jpg
103 KB, 600x800
>>
>>911358

No. It was too beautiful.
>>
Well, wait. I take that back. I started to get a little spooked near the end. But I never felt truly scared, just "pushed out" of the water, like it didn't want me there. I was perceiving all kinds of weird spectral creatures who felt I was an invader and were driving me out, back to land.
>>
>>911335
Actually on should use the methods other helmet manugacruters have done. In the interspiro incoming air flows ovet the front glass which it doesn't do for example in the EXO which sucks. Interspiro fogs up if its wet but the EXO fogs always. AH and band mask don't fog so I believe those also dry the glass? Can't remember now... You use a detergent (dishwashing) to keep the moisture off on the exo and that shit eventually runs down in your mouth. Yuck!
So if the incoming air blows on the glass it will keep the glass less foggy....
>>
>>911404
Neat
>>
>>911256
I plan on installing a small battery powered computer fan on the inside of the helmet to move around dead air.

I cut the acrylic tonight for the helmet. I i'll probably finish up the helmet later on this week. I will definitely post the end results. I'll proably end up painting it yellow or black.
>>
File: you_tried.jpg (17 KB, 274x266) Image search: [Google]
you_tried.jpg
17 KB, 274x266
>>
>>911524
Hmmmmmmmm.
The problem isn't that you have "pockets" of CO2 enriched air here and there. The problem is the rising CO2 levels in the whole fucking helmet. No goddamn ridiculous computer fan will remove this problem, its as a childish idea as the idea to run a diving helmet with a fucking bicycle pump!
You need flow! Flush it out!

Trouble ahead, I say... Get the basics together!

Can you please tell me your approximate location so that one could follow your success/failure?
"Breaking news!
Local inventor found drownd in a pool!
-Seriously, he was asking for it, says neighbour"
>>
>>911673
Like i previously stated... I will be using a small oilless compressor. You should have read the thread :)
>>
File: image.jpg (752 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
752 KB, 1536x2048
Here is the helmet in its new color. I'll probably end up adding the counterweights tomorrow and finally the glass.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>912034
Keep in mind i'll end up sanding the first coat and finishing with a second coat.
>>
>>912034
nice legoman costume
>>
>>912038
Op, you need to put a novelty/trick arrow through the helmet.
>>
Oh god this shit is cracking me up

Get a gopro and videotape your first dive.
>>
>>912034
>>912036
>>
>>908638
I hope you learn about the safety of the bends so you dont die.
>>
>>912748
No bending @ 5m.
Ask me how I know.
>>
>>912846
How do you know?
>>
>>913055
Theoretical depth to get bent is if I recall going around 5,9m.

My instructor on my (professional) dive course spent once the whole day with a mammoth pump (straight translation, might be something else in Londonese) with surface supplied air investigating a archaeological site at 6m.
The next day though he had rescue excersises where you lift an "unconscious" diver repeatedly from 6m. This yoyo profile then got him bent. So basically you need to push it but the first dive is safe. Just keep it cool with your first dive.
I was working as a underwater photography assistant for years and we hung out at 1-5m at the most for the whole day. In the beginning up to five days a week.
By really pushing it you could do up to six hours of bottom time a day but then there was lots of hours....
>>
>>913164
This summer i plan on building a drysuit and scuba helmet and performing research (taking lsd) at 3 ish meters. I know the risks, and i have months of planning and designing left. But human error aside, do you think it would be safe to sit at 3 meters for a couple of hours?
>>
>>913203
>asking a guy who makes diving equipment out of used propane tanks and bicycle pumps so he can take hallucinogenics at the bottom of a lake safety questions

shiggy
>>
>>913220
Its how i roll. I know its a poor idea, but it would be great.
>>
File: P1030471.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
P1030471.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>908638
Follow your dreams, brother.

Made a thread on my DIY rebreather a while ago. Pic realted. Maybe it will motivate you.
>>
>>913164
The 6m rule applies with if the breathing gas is 100% oxygen. The PPo limit is 1,6 set by PADI. Some schools like navy seals teach that the PPo limit is 1,9.

I have no experience with surface supplied air and I'm drunk to give you any good tips on the subject. Anyway staying under 6m will be more than safe.
>>
Don't want the bends? Use heliox.

Just make sure you don't asphyxiate yourself.
>>
>>914429
Excellent idea @ 5m! Not only is this idea fantastic it is also cheap! Surface supplied free flowing heliox! I am so flabbbergastered I need to add some exclamation marks!
!
!
>>
>>914564
Kek
>>
>>908650
Do mythbusters (or you) even understand how a diving helmet works?

It's basically a diving bell over your head. It runs at ambient pressure. There's no relative vacuum inside.
>>
>>914603
It only runs at ambient so long as the supply keeps pressuring it to ambient. Should the supply fail, the inside of the helmet will be at one atmosphere whilst the outside is at two atmospheres, leading to the operator being extruded up the supply pipe.

Did you even watch the video?
>>
>>909278
Mercaptan is the odorant.
2.15 percent per 10000 gallons.
It is the same odorant used for natural gas and butane, just at different percentages.
Not relevant, just a bit of trivia.

The more you know :)
>>
>>913203
Just go in a sensory deprivation tank!
>>
>>914603
I find your reply very invigorating! There is a old level of stupid here but yes. I do understand how a diving bell works. It will potentially crush you when the pressure from the surface is lost. Depending obviously on the pressure difference.
Maybe you confused it with standard scuba gear? From an unenlightened viewpoint they might look the same. Both are used for example underwater!
For the record I have to congratulate monsigneur Cousteau for perfecting it, the regulator and its demand valve. It is fascinatingly ingenious! Like a clothes pin or a zipper. So simple yet it works so well!
>>914772
Suddenly got a memory of a scent from my times as a laboratory researcher. Mercaptoethanol is used in some (either biochemical or genetic) or another analysis of something or another. The stench in the whole lab was truly like Satan's arse! Good times...
>>
>>914903
Now that is a good idea, but me and a friend want to go underwater tripping
>>
>>908968
>The lungs don't have especially strong muscles
Lungs don't have muscles period. You breath by expanding your chest/lower abdomen, causing air to get sucked in
>>
I was supposed to dive to 3 meters when I was like 6-9 to get my swimming certificate in the Netherlands. At what point do you need gear?
>>
>>915102
As soon as you start breathing down there. You can dive with a breath and tgats fine as far down as you're comfortable going. You might have to exhale eventually to equalize pressure in your lungs and you'll start wanting to breathe from co2 in your blood. But you'll never get the bends from it, especially with average diving capacities.
>>
>>915101
Ah, yes. The power of nitpicking. That is quite true, the lungs are constructed in a more elaborate way!
>>
>>913203
I don't think dive tables even go that shallow? I tried to find some dive tables from my diving gear closet but I only found identification charts for brackish- and freshwater invertebrates...
I'd see no problem in this idea but do check some tables first, where the most shallow depth is in it and the bottom time at that. Probably around several hundred minutes. Shallower means even larger safety margin.
>>
>>913236
I wouldn't go over 1,4bar PPO. Remember to use units as some people have really weird ones (should be using millipascals for true SI).
The 'getting bent'-limit has nothing to do with PPO, its about PPN. So basically the theory goes that even if you saturate all the different tissue compartments to a partial nitrogen pressure of (0,79*1,6)bar you could still just surface at any time. I wouldn't though. I'd spend some time at 3m, just in case...
>>
>>915200
Thanks, ill document the entire thing, ill put up a thread in a couple of months about my dive helmet
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.