[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm visiting my parents for the weekend. They own a vacant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2
File: furnace.jpg (42 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
furnace.jpg
42 KB, 450x600
So I'm visiting my parents for the weekend. They own a vacant house a couple blocks away that I'm trying use as a chill spot for when I can't stand to be around them. Seeing as it's November, it's fucking freezing in there. I turned on the big red switch on the wall (the emergency shut on/off switch for the oil burner) and turned up all the thermostats, but it doesn't seem to be making any difference. I went down into the basement and, as I'm completely unfamiliar with anything appliance-related, I couldn't make sense of the contraption, the furnace. It looks pretty much exactly like the picture here (I know, I should've taken a pic while I was there but it's too late). Anyone know how to get this shit running?
>>
Why don't you call and ask your dad how to turn the heater on? He might not have bought any gas this year, or have done other winterization things and you could fuck everything up if you don't know what you're doing.
>>
Also, I don't have cell data on my phone, and there's no wifi at the vacant house so I can only monitor this thread from my parent's house. I've got a car though so I can drive over and try out any suggestions you might have fairly quickly.
>>
>>908574
The entire purpose of using the house is to be somewhere away from them, where they don't know where I am.
>>
>chill spot
>can't stand to be around them
>contraption
>for the weekend
>>
>>908577
Stop trespassing or buy a sweater you fucking faggot.

In b4 neighbors get op SWATed for trespassing.
>>
4chan.org is a website for those persons 18 or older.
>>
>>908580
Yeah because someone under 18 definitely lives away from their parents and only visits on holidays. That makes sense.
>>
>>908579
>trespassing
>my property

The place is bearable with a couple coats on-- it sits at about 42 F. I'm trying to make it sleepable, though.

The neighbors know me. I grew up in this house before my family moved a few streets over.
>>
>>908586
>They (my parents) own a vacant house
>They don't know I'm there
Sounds like trespassing to me.
>>
>>908572

>visiting parents
>hides out in vacant house

so why did you visit them to begin with? you sound like a whiny little crybaby

why dont you grow up you self centered fucktard
>>
>>908591
Yeah so we could get into you pretending to know anything about my family, or we could actually provide useful information and have a constructive conversation. Your choice, o warrior of boarded keys.
>>
>>908598

what the fuck are you talking about? I dont care to know you because you sound like some dumbshit. visiting parents but doesnt want to be around them. why dont you go back to your basement then faggot
>>
>>908601
Ah! He chooses door number one! Good show, sir.

Daily reminder that you are the cancer that lowers the integrity of this board.

Anyone else actually know anything about furnaces?
>>
>>908605

ask your dad how to turn it on. stop being a douche
>>
Look. I'm a grown man. My parents are very conservative. I love them, I love visiting them, but I'd also like to partake in smoking some legal herb while not being disruptive to their way of life. There is no way for me to just ask about the furnace without raising suspicion, otherwise I wouldn't have come here. So for fucks sake, if any of you are knowledgeable about furnaces, how bout we hop off my nuts and help a brother out?
>>
>>908605
>Anyone else actually know anything about furnaces?

- just say 'Hello, HVAC Guy?' three times.. he'll appear instantly. Don't say, we didn't warn you tho.
>>
>>908609

did you try turning on the big red switch?
>>
>>908609
>He thinks his parents don't smoke.
>>
>>908613
I did. The system rumbled and did its thing, sounds like any other furnace that's been turned on. I just feel like I might be forgetting a valve or something.
>>
>>908612
I appreciate you.
>>
>>908615

did you check all the valves

also, did you turn on the switch?
>>
>>908619
Hold on, let's not get ahead of ourselves. You can't turn on the switch or check any of the valves until you prime the pump.
>>
>>908622
No use priming the pump if there isn't any oil in the reservoir.
>>
>>908619
I flipped the switch and turned a couple valves back and forth, but I don't know anything about this system so I couldn't tell if any of them made a difference. For now, the valves are in their original orientation and the switch is flipped "on."
>>
>>908625
Ah so this could just straight up be a matter of there being no oil? People lived here not too long ago so I was thinking there still might be some. How do I go about checking?
>>
>>908590
This guy sounds like a spoiled fag anyway.

"Hates" parents but continues to take advantage of their means: check.

Knows nothing about anything practical: check.
>>
>>908627
Probably something to do with the valves.
>>
>>908628
See >>908609
>>
>>908630
See the two levers in the OP? Mine are horizontal. Know if they make a difference? When I twist the circular valves, water spits out. These are the most scientific observations I've made so far lol
>>
>>908632
He's also going to be driving home stoned. Great. A DUI waiting to kill me on my way home to my children.

Also the first fucking post
>He might not have bought any gas this year,
>Op is still trespassing entitled little shit.
>>
>>908572
Ok that's a boiler that you have in the picture... I would say you are out of your league and should ask the homeowner.

The boiler MIGHT be able to burn natural gas AND fuel oil (for interruptible fuel service).

I would say step one would be make sure the power switch is on, the gas is on, and the thermostat is calling for heat. If you don't know what any of that means read a book or call someone who does... Are you sure you are not a woman?
>>
>>908572
Since you refuse to enlist your father's help, have no friends in the area, "own" an abandoned home whose systems you know nothing about, Google, a local heating and cooling company, even Roto Router does that work now, have the repairman check it out, use your phone to film what he does, pay the man, enjoy some warmth.
or
Post sort of similar images of your system, agree that you know nothing, get advise from people who have no idea what you have, buy some blankets at Walmart, get high and shiver in your crack house.
Good Luck
>>
>>908572
since youre only there for a weekend...
sounds like the power is on. Get an electric heater from the hardware store, likely to be deals for ~$30 because black friday. use it to heat one room to hotbox in.

entirely possible that the gas has been shut off for safety.
And yeah, >>908667 steam boiler for radiators. Do not approach casually, you have do do such arcane maintenance as bleeding air from the pipes, adjusting the radiators, and such.
Have you looked inside/behind/around it for a manual? often one taped to the inside of the access panel of many heating systems.
>>
>>908572
>Seeing as it's November, it's fucking freezing in there.

How cold does the weather actually get there? What do your parents do about not freezing the plumbing?
>>
>>909073
They leave the furnace set to 40 so its just warm enough to not freeze. That is until op went in and fucked around shutting everything down. Now the pipes will freeze and flood everything and mold will grow. Ops parents were planning on giving him this house after college but now they have to pay thousands to tear it down. Using up their retirement fund they have no choice but to move in with op due to no money. Weed..not even once. Thanks Obama
>>
>>908586
>they own
>my property

Pick one, faggot.

Also did you try turning on the big red switch?
>>
Something else that hasn't been posted, but it is RETARDLY simple is that what the OP posted is a BOILER.
NOT A FURNACE!
There's a big difference.
Now there's 2 kinds of Boilers: Hot Water or Steam.
It's entirely possible that the issue wasn't for fuel, but a lack of WATER.
Those pipes gotta have dat water, yo.
If the system had been drained of water and OP fired the boiler... and ran the boiler dry...
Oh wow.
The Boiler would be SOOO incredibly fucked ruined.
This kicks my schadenfreude.
OP trying to smoke dope in his parents rental house could've conceivably caused a $3000 -to- $4000 boiler to be slagged ruined.
Hilarious.
>>
>>910191
And the first fucking comment told him. I want op to come back someday and report how disappoint his dad was.
>>
>>908572
>2015
>not pumping away from boiler.
>>
I want OP to come back and tell us he realized that if his parents own something it doesn't mean he owns it as well. And that he apologized to his dad for being a literal piece of shit.
>>
>>908586
Parents' property =/= Child's property.
>>
>>908609
>grown man
>weed smoker
Pick one.
>>
>>908635
You're probably fucking around with the washing machine or something if it's spitting out water.

OP confirmed for bonafide retard who's parents decided to buy a house instead of employing a full time tard wrangler.
>>
>>908579

>Stop trespassing

His family owns the house you retard.
>>
>>910333
His parents own the house. He doesn't own shit. Stop calling other people retarded. Look up the word irony. Your life will then get better.
>>
>>910333
see
>>910308
>>
I Pray the zone valve is closed he'll never figure it out
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.