[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
painting pine so it no longer looks like wood.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Red-Pine.png (200 KB, 424x283) Image search: [Google]
Red-Pine.png
200 KB, 424x283
Hi, this is probably a stupid question. I'm looking to paint a piece of furniture that's made out of wood. I don't want it to look like wood anymore?

I honestly have no idea? Wood filler? many layers of paint?

I'm so clueless.
>>
>>908007
sand it as fine as you can be bothered
then just paint it. follow instructions as to primer/undercoat
>>
>>908012
i just discovered this stuff called lacquer
>>
>>908007
Seal, sand, prime, sand, paint, sand, paint. Once you sand the paint, you'll have a perfectly smooth surface that you can paint. Maybe use a spray for the topcoat?

I'm not sure how well your disguise will work though, because wood has the general shape of wood, most furniture is made of wood, and people know furniture is made of wood.
>>
>>908025
Thank you for the replies. I'm not concerned about it not looking like wood. I'd just like something very plain and singular coloured.

I'm essentially taking a simple, modern looking pine bed, and I'm looking to make it look matte black, or grey, or white. Black will probably be easier though.

It's kind of wasteful because the company i'm ordering the piece from pride themselves with their own wood finishes and i'm like lol no fuck you and going to paint over it instead.

They can also make it out of the following:
Oak, Cherry, Maple, Beech, Tulip, Ash, Walnut or Mahogany...

I may end up just taking your point and going for a nice hardwood. their black stain doesn't look good enough for me:

reference:
http://www.getlaidbeds.co.uk/wooden-beds/low-beds/low-loft-wooden-bed-frame
>>
>>908007
I've used gloss.
>>
>>908031
If you haven't bought it, then go buy what you want. Don't ruin someone else's hard work.
>>
>>908031
>http://www.getlaidbeds.co.uk/wooden-beds/low-beds/low-loft-wooden-bed-frame
>>908068
These guys look like professionals. Just email them and ask them if they can stain it Darker Than Black.

There exist stains darker than the ones they're displaying, and really-dark pine looks really good.
>>
1. paint
2. Bond-o anything you don't like
3. sand
4. paint again
>>
>>908031 the first thing I would fo is to contact them and ask if this is something they can do for you. Sure its an odd request to paint a nice wood frame a solid color, but they do bill themselves as a customer centric company.

The bennefit is that they have all the finishing tools and expertise that you do not possess and having them paint it instead of you may be cheaper than the expense you'll face to get an inferior quality end product.

IF you are insistant on painting it yourself, then contact them anyways and ask for your frame to be supplied partially finished, i.e. sanded smooth and prepped, not stained or coated. This will save you LOTS of prep work.

I will say though that black stained pine, if they can pull it off, looks very nice.
>>
>>908094

There is antique black and it makes it look outright black.

Though I don't understand why OP would be spending money at a company that specializes in wood finishes and wants to repaint the damn thing after he paid a premium on the finish.
>>
Maple and poplar are the best woods to paint. Id use a shellac based primer like Bin 1-2-3 then any top coat of paint youd like.
>>
Just use Wood-Stain in nearby Black
>>
File: IMAG0751.jpg (728 KB, 1728x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0751.jpg
728 KB, 1728x2592
>>908007
carpenter here,
pine is shit wood for beds, it bends, it bloats and density is not consistent, sanding it will be easy since it's generaly soft but it "drinks" paint like crazy. what we do at my work place is sand to rough (120 grit) base coat with PU, fill any holes or rips (it rips though, whatch your fingers while sanding it) with poliester based filler (usually used on car paints) since it won't shrink like wood fillers and sticks to base coat like crazyglue, then sand it all with 240 or 320 (400 if you want shine on finishing coat) to get even surface for finishing coat. but even if you do everithing like this you could still have retarded piece of pine that will still show grain after few days. i suggest you use beech wood since it has better properties than pine but grain is smoother and finer and it's easier to paint and sand.

pic related - beech wood table in solid black
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.