[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, I have question. Does anyone know if it is possible
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 275x183
Hey guys, I have question.

Does anyone know if it is possible to harvest silk from other types of worms?

I'm assuming no, because the chinks were total autists about keeping silkworms to themselves, but did anyone try?
>>
>>907798
no because you need to be asian
>>
Silk comes from the fabric store, it's got nothing to do with worms.
>>
File: Everyone Talks Eventually.gif (3 MB, 400x219) Image search: [Google]
Everyone Talks Eventually.gif
3 MB, 400x219
>>907798
Use spiders instead. They are easier to keep and feed and harvest from. Find the biggest spider you can in your area and start harvesting it. If you want it to have stronger silk, feed it graphene-laced water. You'll have to make the graphene yourself, but it really isn't too difficult.
>>
Than I assume that the anwser is no...
>>
>>907798
>Does anyone know if it is possible to harvest silk from other types of worms?
it is but natural types don't produce nearly as much silk as the Chinese silkworms will

>>907859
the spool thing drawing out the spider web is somewhat interesting, but what I really wanna see is how the FUCK did they manage to pin all of a spider's legs down, upside down, without harming it???
>>
>>907798
Japanese silkworm
Great way to raise them and profit off high quality silk dyi is full of shills
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p8y9pzGe_2s
>>
>>907859
on second thought,,,, with spiders it might even be easier to harvest silk...

because if you hold on on your finger and then teas it so it jumps off, they trail a single line of web as they try to escape without falling. It doesn't take any equipment and it is quick and easy to do.

step 1: harvest 500lbs spider silk
step 2: ???
step 3: profit!
>>
>>907982
>but what I really wanna see is how the FUCK did they manage to pin all of a spider's legs down, upside down, without harming it???

Either drugged it or got it really cold.
>>
File: Argiope.jpg (39 KB, 497x528) Image search: [Google]
Argiope.jpg
39 KB, 497x528
>>908009
Cold is probably the best option to place them in some sort of harness that exposes the spinnerets.

There's also an instructable that has someone simply collecting old spiderwebs and making thread out of it.

If I did this, I'd be using those big garden spiders. They are pretty easy to handle and feed. They also make some really thick and strong threads.
>>
>>908075
On average, 23,000 [Madagascar golden spiders, the best in the world at this] yield roughly 1 ounce of silk [per day], making the process intensely time-consuming.

http://www.ecouterre.com/worlds-largest-cape-made-from-golden-spider-silk-goes-on-display/

They had most of a town feeding and harvesting spiders for a year to get enough silk for a dress.
>>
>>908076
Yeah, but I don't have those locally.
>>
>>908091
You're in for some long nights anon.
>>
>>908091
Most places in north america are using widows or false widows.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.