[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I learn how to knit? Do people consider a man who knits
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: Yarn-and-knitting-needles_1.jpg (95 KB, 1200x773) Image search: [Google]
Yarn-and-knitting-needles_1.jpg
95 KB, 1200x773
Should I learn how to knit? Do people consider a man who knits a faggot?

What are some useful things you can do with knitting?
>>
File: image.jpg (122 KB, 592x784) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122 KB, 592x784
>>
You can make a scarf for your boyfriend
>>
File: 1414872892397.gif (4 MB, 221x327) Image search: [Google]
1414872892397.gif
4 MB, 221x327
>>906298
Any other uses?
>>
>>906294
faggot
>>
I learned to knit, crochet, and sew from my grandmother.

I make stuff for everyone for christmas, birthdays, baby showers, etc and they're always appreciated.

Plus every girl I've ever been with has loved they can point at something in a magazine and I can make it for them.
>>
Knitting and crochet patterns are effectively machine code for your hands.
>>
I don't consider a man who knits a faggot at all, although it is kinda cute.

It really depends. I like being able to knit things out of materials I want it to be made of and deciding how I want it to look. Like I spent ~$16 on pure wool yarn once to make a beanie (and I had yarn left over), whereas that's the same price you can get a beanie made out of acrylic yarn in clothes stores. After a month of using the beanie, I got sick of how the brim looked so I picked it apart from the bottom upwards and reknit that part to something I liked more.

Personally though I enjoy knitting more for psychological reasons. I have pretty bad anxiety coupled with shitty anger problems, so during stressful times it's nice to be in control of something as small as knitting an item. Plus the repetition is calming.

Even when I shit up what I'm knitting (and it freaks me out), being able to go back to my knitting and figure out what the problem is really gives me the sense of control I lack during a stressful episode.

That's a sort of usefulness I suppose? But hey I'm sure that applies to most /diy/ things.
>>
It's pretty handy for making gifts.

Also, it seems to be a chick magnet. Bitches love knitters.
>>
Knitting is for ballers.
>>
>>907292
>a man who knits a faggot at all
exactly

>to make a beanie
hmmmmmm
>>
You can make all sorts of accessories. I'm working on a pokemon dice bag for a friend right now.
>>
Learn to knit, OP. It's a useful skill to have. It's a relaxing and productive way to pass time. Plus, as someone else already pointed out, a lot of women love a guy who can knit. You make a girl a big, soft sweater, and she'll cuddle it and think of you every time she wears it. All this macho bullshit talk doesn't amount to anything, but that sweater - or whatever you make - is solid.
>>
I wanna knit or crochet. They say coasters make a good starting point.
>>
>>906294
No. Knitting take forever. Crocheting it better. It's MUCH faster. Like the difference between taking 5 1/2 hours to make an afghan (crochet) and 5 1/2 months for that same afghan (knit).
>>
>>908485
I see what you did there.

>>908537
I'm a crochet guy too, but knitting has its advantages. The finished fabric is stretchier and less hole-y, which is great for things like socks that need to fit really well. But yeah, crochet owns knitting for cranking out loose clothing, accessories, and toys. And the learning curve is way less steep. If you can tie your shoes, you can learn to crochet.
>>
Both crocheting and knitting were invented and originally practiced by men, so there's that.
>>
any links,people?
>>
>>909156
www.google.com
www.youtube.com
>>
>>908518
>Plus, as someone else already pointed out, a lot of women love a guy who can knit.

Yes, I'm sure they'll think fondly of you as they get railed by Ron Thickhuge.
>>
>>909276
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knitting
>>
I knit! ...chainmaille.

And i sell it too!
>>
>>907292

I want to hug you, anon.

Not OP but I might pick up knitting for the same reason as you. I'm taking a term off from school because of anxiety.
>>
>>909156
They're not the most exciting videos, but I found these really helpful starting out
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit

>>909331
Good luck anon! It might get frustrating at times, but it feels pretty good when you finish something.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ5ASXC9slg

I made these for my girlfriend. I mixed in a light violet color with a creamy white since she loves purples

She loves them and told me all her coworkers love them and keep asking where she got them.
>>
>>909320
I also knit metal. Not enough to sell.
>>
Why the fuck not? A man is practically worth the skills he possesses. You can make shit happen. It's cold? You knit a fucking sweater. Your girlfriend went bald? Knit a fucking hat. You can knit fucking bags to carry your tools.
The more skills you have the higher you are on the desirability ladder. Except for sucking dicks and taking them in the ass, that makes you gay.
Basic knitting, sewing, woodworking, masonry and chemistry is something that every individual should know.
>>
>>906444
>/r/showerthoughts
>>
Get over the whole manly thing now, son. It will make your life better.

Growing up, my mom made me take ballroom dancing lessons, take piano lessons, learn to cook, and learn to sew. Basically a list of the "least manly" things possible.

Every single one of these talents has gotten me from not laid to laid status at least once in my life.

I am a gold medal or higher (ISTD) on all standard ballroom dancers and am certified to teach entry level students.

I have never *NOT* gotten laid after teaching a woman to dance. My crowning achievement sexually is teaching a former college friend's wedding party some basic formal dances for the wedding. It was a large wedding party, after the class, I was flirting with three of the bridesmaids. I ended up having a three-way with two of them the next night, and dating the third for a few months. PLUS I got paid $500.

Same with piano, it probably won't get you as much action as a guitar, but women think it's about the sexiest skill you could ever have.

Knowing how to cook is a life skill everyone should have. Everyone likes good food.

Sewing and not being gay got me a lot of action in the theater dept in college. I got a job sewing costumes. I was the only non-gay male who worked there. The theater students all fuck each other. You know how much being straight improves your odds?

So in short, if doing "unmanly things" makes some people think you're a faggot, fuck 'em you'll be too busy getting laid to care.
>>
Anybody nålbind here, I've been interested.
>>
>>909898
I'm with you on this one. I've made many naalbinding needles out of wood, bone, copper when I was bored. Then tI tired the actual thing. Turns out no matter how much video tutorials I watch, I still don't understand shit. Can't even do the Oslo stitch. Any help appreciated.
>>
>>906294
I consider a man a faggot for being such an insecure little bitch he has to ask dumb ass questions. Like your faggot ass.
>>
>>909871
I'm not sure if 4chan is equipped to handle this much truth...
>>
>>909871
>ITT things that never happened.

You should join wranglestars youtube channel if you enjoy spewing bullshit storys so much.
>>
>>910034
>Bullshit

>Claims to have taken dance lessons
>Claims to have taken piano lessons
>Claims to have worked in the theater dept
>Claims to have had a threeway

Only on 4chan would some neckbeards try to call out people as a liar for events that are so common place, their mom has probably done every one of them.

I actually work in theater as a lighting tech, and I can 100% vouch for the fact that everyone pretty much fucks everyone during a production.

I can't say much about the rest, but if you've ever been to a club in your life, you'd know that dancing gets women horny as hell.
>>
I'd never seen naalbinding before. That's awesome. I enjoy the process of crochet, and I love having only a single point of failure. But I don't like the way crocheted fabric looks. Naalbinding creates fabric I like. I'm going to look more into it.

OP, I bet there's at least one "manly man" you know who's knitted or wanted to learn.
>>
>>906294
i lernead to knit a year back and i say go for it, i had some trouble at the begining but after a few guide and some help from my aunt i manged to learn it, its a nice way to pass the time when you are traveling or when you are doing nothing, i like to watch series on the computer whne i knit that whay i can do 2 things at once, and no one evear calld me a faggit for kniting
>>
File: 1421356901042.png (166 KB, 833x789) Image search: [Google]
1421356901042.png
166 KB, 833x789
>>909334
not op but thanks for the link,anon!
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.