[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Use sand bags
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: raised-beds-from-sand-bags.jpg (195 KB, 660x440) Image search: [Google]
raised-beds-from-sand-bags.jpg
195 KB, 660x440
Use sand bags
>>
>>906290
what plants are those? they seem familiar.
>>
>>906290
put them in the bed of your truck for traction, because trucks handle worse than a hyundai in the snow.
>>
>>906290
yes
>>
File: sandbag-squat_0.jpg (28 KB, 450x461) Image search: [Google]
sandbag-squat_0.jpg
28 KB, 450x461
dagsands
>>
File: Huts - After Moisture 3 014.jpg (628 KB, 1984x1488) Image search: [Google]
Huts - After Moisture 3 014.jpg
628 KB, 1984x1488
>>906302
Also makes handy amour.
>>
>>906290
ok
>>
File: doubles_98457.jpg (118 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
doubles_98457.jpg
118 KB, 500x375
>>906302
>put them in the bed of your truck for traction, because trucks handle worse than a hyundai in the snow.
while this is true in theory, it ls largely a myth in practice.

I did the math once: a typical full-size pickup truck has about a 60/40 weight distribution front-to-rear and weighs around 3200 lbs.

To shift this weight distribution JUST to 50/50 would require around 1,200 lbs of weight over the rear axle.
To get it to 40/60 F/R distribution would require over 3000 lbs of weight added over the rear axle.

They may claim that they can feel a difference, but most people only use a half-dozen <50 lb bags of sand--which means there is hardly any result at all.

Also: the same goes for "keeping your gas tank full, so there's more weight". This totals maybe 100 lbs of weight, that is added roughly equally between the front and rear axles. On a vehicle that weighs ~3200 lbs to begin with, it's practically nothing.

Of course,,,, sand can still be useful in icy weather, and keeping your gas tank full still is a good idea. But the 'benefit of added weight' of either of these things is meaningless.
>>
>>906608
>3200lbs

Wow they make trucks light these days! My 86 weights in at 3 tons with a tank of fuel...
>>
>>906628
>Wow they make trucks light these days!
I mighta remembered the truck weight wrong

but assuming the truck was a lot heavier, then the effect of a couple hundred pounds in the bed would mean even less
>>
>>906608
this picture hurts my brain
>>
>>906293
look like courgettes/zucchini behind sand bags. Tomatoes at the front.
>>
>>906608
My -88 Mercedes has a 3L straight six diesel in the front. Long enough car and light in the back. Very front heavy. It gets stuck easily! If there are several people in the car when it gets stuck the easiest way to unstick it is to have someone to stand on the towing hook.
>>
>>906608
I love the pseudo analysis posts attempting to imply precision... Shit, my Corolla weighs over 3200lbs.

Even though the distribution is slightly shifted, it has a big effect, especially if your backend is so light it sometimes bounces when you go around corners too quickly in the rain. Besides you only want a small amount of weight added. Too much and fish tail rather than get stuck in very short inclines.
>>
>>906608
Woah, this actually makes me feel ill.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.