[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Custom switchpanel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Download_2015_11_08_00_24_04.jpg (58 KB, 639x960) Image search: [Google]
Download_2015_11_08_00_24_04.jpg
58 KB, 639x960
I was planning on buying one of those cheap usb circuit boards that you can wire switches and buttons onto.

Say I were to fuck this up(or the cheap chinkshit parts short), could it fry my computer? USB ports have surge protection right?

Pic unrelated
>>
>>906241
>USB ports have surge protection right
yes.

google knows this
>>
>>906241
but once its done protecting that port it will be dead.
>>
>>906241
>one of those cheap usb circuit boards that you can wire switches and buttons onto
the girl looks nice, but it would have been more helpful to provide a picture of the board in question

>Say I were to fuck this up (or the cheap chinkshit parts short), could it fry my computer?
most of your computer is made of the same kinds of cheap chinkshit parts, you prolly couldn't afford it if it wasn't, and the chinks can build working stuff with those parts and apparently you can't

plz attempt to be not such a dickwad in the future
>>
>>906241
>could it fry my computer?
No. USB connections are current limited.
>>
>>906283
Not true at all.

USB is 5v, and even dead-short can't develop enough power to damage itself.

USB ports have resetting "fuses", which are really just the hub noticing the voltage drop and temporarily powering-off the port.

Windows doesn't help with this misconception when it says "power surge on USB port" instead of "voltage droop on USB port".
>>
>>906241
>USB ports have surge protection right?
Yes, but it's the implementations are all over the place. Some have proper current regulators, some have resettable fuse / controller, some will shut down the whole PSU/PC and others will have hard fuse or fry a part. So don't count on it - while your computer will survive, still a lot of potential to corrupt OS, kill that particular port etc. Drop a current limiter or at least a fast fuse in the power line.

Also, be wary of the data lines. Power might be limited to reasonable device consumption, but power to fry data lines is way lower. And while the connector is designed to touch power pins first, switching randomly on test board can cause only data to be connected - if the board is not tied to computer ground and is connected to anything else, the data voltages can float way above 5V.
>>
>>906241
Development for this sort of stuff is actually what the rasbpi is for op. Cheap enough even if you do cook it, your not out your $200 motherboard
>>
>>907014
its not impossible for a dev board to use some kind of external power source, switches and leds is one thing but it will have a microcontroller or something which could probably be reprogrammed and more often than not there is a 'high voltage' reprogramming option available. depending on op stray volts could find their way onto the usb port
>>
Who is this? I want to marry her.
>>
>>906241
i think im in love
>>
>>907181
Maemae Renfrow
>>
>>906241
Would cuddle with/10
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.