[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DIY Infinity Room
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: infinityroom.jpg (822 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
infinityroom.jpg
822 KB, 2000x1333
Hey /diy/, I'm trying to turn one of my rooms into an infinity room like the one by Yayoi Kusama (see image). So far, I'm thinking of making the mirrors from mylar stretched over wooden frames, and getting a few hundred LED's for the lights. I don't have firsthand experience with either of these things, so I wanted to see if anyone might know of better alternatives.
>>
>>905842
LEDs come in strips now. The easiest thing to do is to buy Ikea LED strips, set them to change colors and run them around the perimeter of the ceiling.
As for mirrors, mirrored walls use to be a big thing. You could probably still buy them from any company that specializes in wall coverings. It's going to be expensive though. Any mirror you make will not be of good quality, and the 'infinite effect' is ruined by shitty quality mirrors. If a mirror has even a slight green hue, about 10 reflections in will be 80% green, and stop reflecting. My suggestion is that you test the quality of the mirror before you buy anything for what I just typed.
>>
>>905858
Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely go with the led strips. That's what I feared with the mirrors though. I already ordered some mylar, so I guess I'll make small test box to see how well it reflects. If it ends up being bad, I guess I'll just have to save for decent mirrors.
>>
File: mirror tile.jpg (12 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
mirror tile.jpg
12 KB, 300x300
applying mirrors on the wall is actually quite doable: just buy mirror tiles and apply like any other tile. or get the self-adhesive ones.
>>
question, what on earth would it look like to be inside a giant mirror sphere?
>>
>>905891
You would see yourself.

A reflector directs all light rays towards it's focal point, and if the rays start at said focal point, they will pass directly through it on reflection. The focal point of a spherical reflector is the center of the sphere. If your eye is at the center of the sphere, you would therefore see your eye exactly reflected, no matter which way you looked.

Of course, your eye is not a point source, and there are two of them, and it's really unlikely that you'll be able to keep it at the exact center for long, so expect some variation from theory in real life. If you ever find yourself inside a spherical mirror, you can let us all know how much it differs.
>>
>>905891

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRP82omMX0g
>>
>>905842
I had a similar idea, but i wanted to hang a bunch of nicked 1mm strands of fiber optic cables with assorted lengths from the celing and light them with rainbow light
>>
>>905842
This is shit tier. Simply for the reason that there is a theme park on the gold coast called infinity. It's been around for decades. It's just a bunch of cool rooms like this you get to wander through. Like halls of mirrors. Fuck I hate what passes for art. Infinity rooms are not an art installation but they're fucking pricy art as soon as you tag a bachelor of art onto the description.

That said, they are very cool. I saw one art installation that was a Japanese tea ceremony setup in the middle. The less seams the better. And you might find that you prefer one infinity wall considering the cost of a ceiling high mirror. Check out any infinity mirror instructable.
>>
>>905908
i found myself inside your moms spherical mirror last night puto
>>
File: atomic.webm (174 KB, 484x360) Image search: [Google]
atomic.webm
174 KB, 484x360
>>905875
Won't work because not flat.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.