[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hydro System
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: turboniga.jpg (223 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
turboniga.jpg
223 KB, 1600x1200
Hey /diy/ers,

TL:DR
>I want to make a waterproof turbocharger.

Would this be hard?
I would like to take power from the electric part of the turbo, without shorting anything.
Any ideas? Pic related, but water goes in and comes out.
>>
>>904635
Also, I'd push water through the wide end, r-right?
>>
>>904635
Rust. Do I need to worry about rust?
>>
>>904635
>>904636
>>904638
1. TL:DR is supposed to be a summary, not the main point
2. write your post properly before spamming your own thread with bumps
3. Sage
4. A turbo compresses gas, water doesn't compress so no your idea is retarded and I don't even understand what you want to accomplish
>>
>>904635
>I would like to take power from the electric part of the turbo, without shorting anything.
assorted thoughts:
...most car turbochargers are exhaust-driven, there is no "electric" part.
...car turbo casings are aluminum (on the intake side) and the steel used for the compressor rotor is rather thin and highly susceptible to rust. It would not last long in water.

if you want to build a little hydro-electric setup, what you might look into is getting an aftermarket electric water pump (for a car, that is) and feeding water into the exhaust of that. You might need to remove the existing motor and put something better on (a plain stepper motor will work better for generating electricity than a brushed-DC motor).
>>
>>904646
This! Wtf is op trying to do? Pump water? There is no "electric" part of a turbo. Most turbos have oil lubed bearings that require a flow of oil.
>>
you have to look for centrifugal pumps, they are electrically driven. water comes in from the 'face' of the pump and comes out the top part of it.
>>
>>904677
>...most car turbochargers are exhaust-driven, there is no "electric" part.

By definition, a turbocharger is driven by gas. If it's not driven by gas, it's a something-else-charger, such as a supercharger (driven by crankshaft).
>>
File: file.jpg (314 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
314 KB, 800x800
>>904635
/O/ here, that's not a turbo, this is
>>
File: absurd_post.jpg (97 KB, 1024x569) Image search: [Google]
absurd_post.jpg
97 KB, 1024x569
>>904872
That's a starter, not a turbo.
>>
File: file.jpg (30 KB, 431x300) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
30 KB, 431x300
>>904873
Dumbass, this is a starter
>>
Alternator?
>>
>>904873
No its a tattoo
>>
File: bnizshgaljn4ubasbomu[1].png (958 KB, 1134x1214) Image search: [Google]
bnizshgaljn4ubasbomu[1].png
958 KB, 1134x1214
>>904887

>I get that reference.jpg
>>
>>904635
>>904677

OP maybe left because of all the mockery, but that pic seems like it's missing the exhaust the exhaust side and the black thing might be an electric motor.

Never seen that, but it might exist somewhere.

Yes, water goes in this end and comes out the side, and yes rust would be a problem on the bearing. (maybe).

The worst problem would be this motor turns fast and it would take a lot of water pressure, not just volume.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (68 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
68 KB, 1280x720
>>905169
>never heard of a water pump
>>
You are thinking of a water turbine. Here's a YouTube 'how to diy a water turbine from an old washing machine motor" video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBPbuVc1UQ8
>>
Using a turbine designed for gas to pump fluid or make electricity from a fluid flow is a bad idea.
>>
>>905230
Gas is a fluid. Thermodynamics and piping design 101

That said I'd make sure you have a centrifugal pump(assuming that's what you want by the pictures) that's designed for a dense fluid like water vs air for efficiency sake and to make sure it has the right bearings and seals. Also centrifugal pumps will typically need primed and make sure you're pumping water that doesn't have air in it as cavitations will fuck up your pump quickly especially at higher rpms.
>>
>>904635
Hey anon, I happen to work on pumps industry. I have access to lots of plans of vertical and horizontal pumps. That information is classified and secret but of course I can share it with you. That pump looks like a horizontal KSBâ„¢.

I highly doubt you have lathes, furnaces and 3d printers. But w/e... Let me know how much power you have as well as discharge and PSI
>>
>>904873
lol it's an alternator not a starter
>>
>>905426
>Gas is a fluid.
Congratulations, your Pedant-of-the-month award is in the post. Well, technically it's in the care of the post, because if it were in the post they'd be unable to get it out again.

It was obvious from context he meant "uncompressable fluid", or "liquid".
>>
>>904646
>This

OP is a faggot
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.