[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Leatherman Tread / General Leatherman thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7
File: maxresdefault.jpg (141 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
141 KB, 1920x1080
Hey guys so as we all know leatherman make some of the best multi tools out there. I personally own a surge and was wondering if anyone has bought the new tread multi tool bracelet?
>>
>>904478
/rust/ general
>>
fucking charm bracelet broken watch shit
>>
My surge had some surface rust on it however with a quick clean it was back to normal, it is stainless
>>
Hah my Leathermans is only alright. I have the MUT. I like it but I only QUITE like it.

at least it's better than that piece of shit Buck multitool I had once. That was sweet in its single handedness, but the metal bent just unscrewing flat heads! Unreal.

I'm afraid I'll never be convinced away from my Victorinox, which just gets the job done and doesn't fuck around. Warranty for life has only had to be invoked once, and that's cos I used my Helmsman as a hammer
>>
>>904478
it's a clever idea, but I think it's a bit much...

I have a skeletool, and would shill for leatherman everyday about it... only multitool I've ever actually used every part of.
>>
>>904478
Just checked out the official site for it.

Oh god. /facepalm.

Those stubbies aren't going to be useful for anything, ever. Plus you have to take it apart to use any of them.

It has no use at all except to fleece toolbros of their cash.
>>
File: cleco-sp.jpg (59 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
cleco-sp.jpg
59 KB, 600x600
>>904478
a hot topic goth bangle, really?

i wonder if cleco got paid for having their tools used in that ad
>>
>>904518
> first thought was "pfft, goth trinket much?"

Are you me? They even have it in silver to cater to the nu-metal kids!

Meanwhile OP, this seems like a far from practical brand toy, fuck it with a rake. As other have said, the fact you need to tear the damn thing down to use it is pain in the balls enough, but when that is then compared to simply pulling a tool from a pouch on your belt when you need to get hit done, it's a no brainier. What are you gunna do if you're half way up a ladder? Carry a tub with you at all times to hold your Leatherman chunks while you try and get the bit you need?

With. A rake.
>>
>>904509
>Those stubbies aren't going to be useful for anything, ever. Plus you have to take it apart to use any of them.
>>904523
>As other have said, the fact you need to tear the damn thing down to use it is pain in the balls enough
Why can't you just form it into a T-shape and use the bit you want whilst it's fully assembled?

Isn't that the point of it?

If it isn't, then this is my Original Idea, and if I see you marketing a multitool bracelet that works the way you'd expect a multitool bracelet to work, I will know you have Stolen My Idea.
>>
i cant really see the big problem behind taking it off ur wrist. its not like u have to disassemble it to be able to use the tools
>>
Own supertool 1. Rusty but still useful
>>
>2015
>still using leatherman
>not using a superior victorinox
>not having a 110 year warranty on your multitool
>not having free repari and maintanence on your multitool
>owning something that you just throw away when it gets broken
>>
>>904478
What the fuck man. Why does this exist?
Hey guise, the normal multitools we have that replace a knife with a knife with a bunch of unusable bullshit was too heavy and you needed a pocket for it!
Introducing the pandora charm tool bracelet! We did away with that stupid ass knife and only have essentials like oxygen tank wrench, bottle opener, and SIM card tool! It goes on your wrist for easy storage, and becomes a fully functional screw head stripper in 2 minutes!
>Seriously though, an 11 in 1, set of channellocks, and paper clip achieve the same end result in a much better way.
>>
File: 1193874315007.jpg (46 KB, 180x180) Image search: [Google]
1193874315007.jpg
46 KB, 180x180
>multitools
>>
>>904749
You replace your watch strap with it, and then you don't need to carry anything.

Blame the TSA for it not having a scary knife.
>>
I have the Leatherman PST, damn nice tool, still a couple of functions I wouldn't really need but all of them are pretty darn good at their job. The relatively low weight (142g) is a good plus and I like the no frills outlook on the tool.

>>904749
Seems like you've only ever used shit-tier 10$ multi-tools or possibly tried to use them in a workshop setting. I've been doing renovations on an old cottage where you kinda always find new small problems to fix. You'll be working on one room and during lunch you'd find something in another. That's when a multitool is a damn good friend. The tools on it are far better than you give it credit for. As for the Tread, the actual topic of the thread I agree, this is meme-tier wannabe cool stuff.

>>904739
Which one do you have? I'll admit that they seem really nice. For normal use I carry a wooden-scaled Tourist. (it's DIY-work and could post picture if there's interest).
>>
>>904739
>2015
>having a multitool that breaks and flaunting the warranty....
>>
>>904808
Not that guy, but don't act like Leatherman shills don't tout their warranty too. In fact thats the way they sweep the recent fit and finish / rust issues under the rug. It's under warranty bro!
>>
>>904812
had a skeletool for 3 years, use it everyday... no fit/finish/rust problems..

broke 1/16th of the tip off the blade... probably shouldn't pry with the blade.... fuck... sharpen ed new point on it... works great.

I don't get how you'd get rust on something you keep in a pocket and use everyday... maybe if you stuck it wet in a box and left it for a while, but I don't expect any multitool to survive well like that.

for what it's worth I don't like all the leatherman stuff.. I just have a serious hardon for the skeletool because it literally is exactly what I need in a multitool for my job (appliance repair).... I've got a bag of better tools that I can grab if I need them, the main point of the multitool is that I need it right then and it's good enough to get by and convenient enough to save time and speed me up. and you don't have to open it to get to the blade...

otherwise I don't think I'd carry a multitool.. probably just a pocket knife and a small set of needle nose....

only other leatherman I think I'd look at honestly picking up would be a Mut... but thats because it would be handy for range days...

I am a little salty that I paid 45$ for my skeletool back in the day... and that Home Despot has them on sale for the holiday for 25$ by me.... actually picked up a second in case I lose mine...
>>
>>904778
No, we've had this thread a thousand times, the only reasonable excuse for a multitool was spur of the moment fishing without a tackle box or spontaneous hiking without a backpack. You're not sucking me into another stupid discussion about how you saved the day at your office when you tightened a chair screw.

>>904760
The TSA is really why? I mean makes sense in a dumbass way but damn.
And it's a watch strap? That actually makes a little sense, surprised they don't have tacticool paracord wrapped edition.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>The year of our lord 2015.
>not making your own multi tool out of lesser tools
>>
>>904859
I am a lawyer for Gerber and am going to sue you for violating one of our patents.
>>
File: 1438718462257.jpg (151 KB, 580x762) Image search: [Google]
1438718462257.jpg
151 KB, 580x762
>>904859
>2015
>Using multi-tools
>>
>>904859
topkek, love the tactical black finish!
>>
>>904854
>The TSA is really why?

they literally had to make a category called "airplane legal" or something bs like that when the TSA started classifying nailclippers and 2 oz bottles of hand sanitizer as "weapons of plane hijacking"
>>
I think they're decent little tools, but I have a personal story regarding the company themselves.

I had a hand-me-down ancient Leatherman, probably one of the first things they ever made. This thing was at least 20 years old by the looks of it, and the plier head snapped off god knows how long ago. So on a whim I sent them an email, and they told me to mail it to such and such address with a copy of the email. So I did.

Not long after I got a box from Leatherman with TWO MULTI TOOLS in it - Leatherman Surge and a Wingman. What the fuck? Anyways, not even speaking for the tools themselves but this really is one rare standup company so I'll always be an advocate for them.
>>
>>904739
Leathermans have much nicer blades than Victorinox, which stamps the blades out of the same generic stainless shit that the frame of the tool is made from.

My Charge TTI has an S30V blade. Even their cheapest 420HC blades are a lot better.
>>
>>904911
Try it bruh, mines 100 percent recycled harbor freight
>>
I have a Sidekick, belt it everyday. Multitools in general aren't great, but if you get used to carrying one you find uses for it.
>>
>>904934
Other way around in my experience. Used to have a Wave, fucker would NOT stay sharp. Use it two or 3 times and back to the stone. Terrible. Upgraded to a Swisstool, never looked back.
>>
>>904934
>My Charge TTI has an S30V blade

That sucks, S30v is brittle and hard to sharpen. Why would you want a high end steel like that on a tool made to be beaten around?
Its actually such a hassle, there is a reason high end blades have moved to S35V.

420HC is a much more optimal steel to have on a multitool. Its tougher, decent edge retention, and extremely easy to sharpen.

And its funny you claim their 420HC is a "lot better" seeing how Victorinox uses a steel in the 56 rockwell hardness.
Right in the area of 440A, 425m, 420HC or some other steels.

Its all in the heat treatment of the steel, hence why BOS heatreated Buck 420HC is vastly superior to a generic chinese 420HC knife.

Whether you are going to suck Leatherman cock or not, it doesnt change the reality of Victorinox making the best fit and finished blades of ANY manufacturer, and they have done it consistently for decades.
>>
>>904518
>i wonder if cleco got paid for having their tools used in that ad
what I'm wondering now is, will it set a cleco?
>>
>>905048
>it doesnt change the reality of Victorinox making the best fit and finished blades of ANY manufacturer, and they have done it consistently for decades.

...ow if we could just get them to make something usefull instead of something tactitool....
>>
>>904833
Just some friendly advice: writing like that makes you look unintelligent.
>>
I've used their 300 for years and like it, but I scatter box cutters among my tool boxes and vehicles and buy blades by the 100-pack.
>>
File: 10-wave.jpg (24 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
10-wave.jpg
24 KB, 600x600
I work in a factory, and i carry pic related. It comes with Philips, flat head, and Allen key bits. It also has a couple other bits that i honestly never use.

I put a small adjustable wrench in the loop of the pouch, and carry a flashlight. This thing gets used every day. No signs of breaking yet, and it's been about 2 years.

The only gripe i have is that i wish I'd have gotten the model with the replacable wire cutters.

That and it was kind of expensive
>>
>>905336
Victorinox is hardly the ones flooding the market with tacticool stuff...
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.