[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want this dining set but it's almost $3,000. Is it possible
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
I want this dining set but it's almost $3,000.

Is it possible to build it for less than $500? Can I take the picture to a carpenter and have them cut all the pieces I need? I have zero woodcutting experience.
>>
The steel frame will be much more complicated then the simple wooden top. You need around $1000 worth of tools to build this.
>>
>>903823
Yeah, but if op already has a welder, hacksaw, and angle grinder, plus a table saw for the wood, he could build a similar one for ~200, depending on what wood he uses.
>>
>>903823
Lets not shit on it just yet..

OK, you gonna need someone who can weld, for starters - as >903823 noted, this bit is not for beginners, nor cheap to start with. Then, we need a bill of materials:

FRAMES:
2” steel profile

Table needs about 300" ?
Bench (x2) needs about (220" x 2) = 440"

so, 750" 2” steel profile

WOOD
1 x 60" x 30" Maple (Table top)
2 x 54" x 14” Maple (Benches)

FEET
4 rubber (Table)
8 x height adjustable (benches)

FIXINGS
?

- Just getting you started OP, go google up the raw material prices, and, post links.

No finishing costs (wood, metal) there either, mind - maybe, time you are done, $3,000 aint as bad as it looks..
>>
OP here. The entire table and bench is wood. It's just a different color.
>>
>>903827

- yeah? the fuck it is, but, you can also, not gonna be as stable as this table tho.
>>
>>903827
https://www.allmodern.com/Elan-Furniture-Loft-Dining-Table-LT1TDX-306030S-ELAN1142.html

No it is not.
>>
>>903829

I meant I would like to build it all out of wood. The design of the table can be different. I would just like a basic 3 piece dining set with bench seats.
>>
>>903832
Why not just shop for a different table then?
>>
>>903822
Bruh you could build that for less than $200
>>
>>903840
>60" x 30" Maple
>for less than $200

- be fucking lucky to get raw tabletop for that price, jist sayin..
>>
>>903841
Dont make it out of maple then.
>>
>>903844
>b-but OP wanted it so, jist like in pic..

- was actually mildly interested in actually, really costing this, near as pictured. F' Curiosity. No-one else appears to be tho ;)
>>
>>903833

The choices of bench seat dining sets are few and mostly expensive.
>>
>>903841
>>903844

Why use one solid piece of wood?

You could easily make a top out of multiple pieces of wood using biscuits or floating tenons which would cost less
>>
>>903879
..as you sound like y'kno wtf you are talking about..

assuming you went with OPs PlanB here, ie, all wood.
which would minimise the complicated bits like welding etc. but, what (min) dimension do you need for a 60" x 30" frame, while keeping it simple as above?

obv. >2” - but, I'm no Jesus, etc. - what frame thickness (approx) be feasible with this design?
>>
>>903854
>>903832
If you don't care if it looks exactly as pictured and you want a cheaper dining table + benches, you need to be better at shopping, not diy. Searching for 'dining set' is going to trip you up but benches and tables are not hard to find.
If I can ikea this up in about 2 minutes, I'm sure you can do better if you actually try.
2x this http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40259040/
1x this
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30116264/
done for $400

Don't call me a buyfag, OP doesn't want to diy, they just want a cheaper solution.
>>
>>903897
>IKEA

I bet that cardboard bench couldn't hold any more weight than a petite Asian girl
>>
>>903841
Where I work we order slabs like that from a shop that specializes in cabinet doors. OP's slab is basically a big ass cabinet door that hasn't been routered and doesn't have a frame around it.

Just did the math on what we pay (wholesale) and 60"x30" would cost $125.
>>
>>903904
IKEA furniture is built for Vikings.
>>
>>903831
>under 1000 dollars

still a lot but that's far from the 3000 op claimed
>>
>>903946
>under 1000 dollars

-s just the table - link for three piece (which OP was requesting, complete @ under $500 from the ever-benevolent /diy/ Santa) also on your link. 3-piece brings u near $2k, then plus $200-$500, depending on finish (metal), Etc.

Still say, would prob end up same/more expensive self-building, but, more fun.. that every /diy/ furniture thread ends at page 254 of the IKEA catalog, I dunno, its like some kind of mad Sweedish cousin of Godwins Law.
>>
File: image.jpg (10 KB, 280x280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
10 KB, 280x280
That looks like a school besk.
https://www.officefurnitureonline.co.uk/education-furniture/classroom-desks/square-rectangular-classroom-tables/express-delivery-fully-welded-rectangular-tables.html
>>
>>903955
Here we are op.
Table = 298
https://www.officefurnitureonline.co.uk/office-desks/aspect-bench-desks/aspect-single-rectangular-desks/aspect-rectangular-desks.htm

Bench = 86
https://www.officefurnitureonline.co.uk/education-furniture/cloakroom-benches-stands/budget-freestanding-cloakroom-benches-with-active-coat.html
>>
>>903822
In welding school I watched a bunch of 16 year old potheads build way more complicated shit than this for like 400 bucks tops.

Tell me who's buying this shit for 3000 so I can retire early.
>>
>>903822
That's the worst looking table I've ever fucking seen.

Unless you're going to for underage "modern" look, you can make a wooden table that looks 100x better for a fraction of the price.
>>
>make this set for $200
Yeah if OP wants his benches and table top to be 3/4" ply with a veneered edge band.
>>
>>905907

>subjective opinions
>using underage as an adjective to justify your opinion

>>>/b/
>>
>>903879
I've been thinking about making a table with 8x6s.
>Biscuits and dowels add no strength to joints.
>Floating tenons makes no fucking sense to me in this application.
To do what I want, just glue 4 8x6s together into one piece, it would take 28 3/4" pipe clamps.

What is the best way to achieve this? I don't mind using 8 pipe clamps that I have, but I'm not buying 20 fucking more+pipe.
Just clamp it with 8 and then screw under bracing on the bottom of it?
>>
>>903847
dunno anything about the tabletops, wood is my kryptonite.
but it's about 12 meters each of the thinnest available 60 and 40mm erw box section, about £200 if you have to pay the vat.
the table 'feet' are ordinary plastic endcaps which cost literal pennies
the chairs look to be using screw levelling feet threaded into internal weldnuts, eight of them would be less than a tenner.
the biggest pains in the dick are fixturing to keep the four unbraced legs of the table squared and true while you mig them up, and then you either need a walk-in oven for the powdercoating or you have to terribly compromise the design by making the legs bolt-on, which would make the whole thing extra wobbly.
bolted assemblies with a pivot in every corner and no triangulation are an abomination in the eyes of god.
>>
>>906328
um, adding biscuits or dowels adds strength to the joint, increasing the glue area.
tenons are best, then dowels, then biscuits.

but the point for glue ups is to keep the boards lined up with each other, and not slipping up or down (due to slippery glue + clamp pressure)

why would it take 28 clamps to glue up?
and to be clear, you mean 2x8x6' pieces of wood, right? not 8"X6" massive timbers?

anyway, yeah, either add a dowel every 2-3' to keep the boards aligned, or use some clamping cauls (that are coated with wax or wax paper to keep them from being glued to the top) across the faces to keep them lined up, then add clamps to the sides to glue. do a dry run with the clamps before you put on the glue, to make sure it works.
When done, plane/sand/scrape glue off and any imperfections smooth.

last time I did a glue up I used 6 6" clamps for the face cauls to keep things lined up, and 4 3' ones to apply the pressure.
It turned out ok, but I learned that I need to lap my planes (apparently were banana'd so it left slight curves in my glue up boards. But since I was gluing up 1x3's into a panel, they were thin enough to force into contact)
>>
File: BearTable.jpg (73 KB, 746x514) Image search: [Google]
BearTable.jpg
73 KB, 746x514
>>903832
>>
I made this >>903144
and I'm making two benches to run along side it, gun cost me £200 in total, that's including paint and stain.

2400 x 800 x 50mm

It looks better with more pain and it's outside now. I have no new pictures though.
>>
>>906639
Everything diy is better with more pain.

Extra marks for bloodstains in less visible places
>>
>>906798
>>906639
paint*

If you were referring to the marks on the wood as bloodstains / paint drips, they are not it's spatter from welding. looks better for it IMO as I wasn't going for a new look, and the person i was making it for said the older more used the better.
>>
>>903822
>Looks like a fucking prison dining table
>And uncomfortable as hell for indoor seating
>$3000
fuckign kill youreselfs
>>
File: obi.jpg (179 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
obi.jpg
179 KB, 960x1280
>>903822
just bought materials for a similiar project.
I won't weld it so its not much work but i want a tv table with a style like this. Dont want to pay a grand aswell. All the materials were like 100€
>>
>>907039
hahahah,
was about to say that too, get ur soap on a rope >OP
>>
>>907474
If you aren't going to weld it then how are you going to keep it together? Or are those black plastic angles I see for connecting the pipes?
>>
>>907692
Indeed I hope its not going to look like shit but I can always choose to weld it afterwards
>>
>>903825
oh pleaseee.

this can easily be done under 1k.

under 500? pushing it OP but if you look around possibly.

spending more than 1000 on this is only for idiots.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.