[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Electro Magnet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 464x298) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 464x298
Sup /diy/

I need some assistance making a wallmounted electromagnet, I need 4 of them, and they don't have to be too powerfull, need to carry aprox 5-10kg all together.. Any good suggestion on how to make them?
>>
File: air_con_comp.jpg (62 KB, 640x320) Image search: [Google]
air_con_comp.jpg
62 KB, 640x320
The ones in car air conditioner compressor clutches are pretty strong.

>Part 9 right
>>
>>903742
>I need some assistance making a wallmounted electromagnet, I need 4 of them,
for what purpose?
electromagnets tend to heat up a LOT if you leave them on constantly at all...

can you use toggle magnets? like, the type used for magnetic bases for machinist dial indicators? (This is a cubic base with a flip lever, that [basically] turns an internal magnet "on" and "off")
the base & arms are like $15 on amazon/ebay. I know I've seen places selling just the base part.
>>
I need it to make a hidden stash, behind a mirror.. My english isn't that good, so I'll try my best to explain..

The mirror will have magnets attached it, and when you turn on the electro magnets, they will push away the mirror
>>
Why not use permanent magnets on one side of the mirror and some hinges on the other side, just pull open
>>
If I can pull it open, so can "they"... it needs to appear as it cant be removed
>>
File: power-transformer-construction.jpg (61 KB, 400x507) Image search: [Google]
power-transformer-construction.jpg
61 KB, 400x507
>>903742
You want an "Electromagnetic lock". As far as I can tell they are just big '"E core" and a big plate potted in epoxy. Not sure how well they it would work but I'd suggest cutting one side off the biggest transformers you can find and that'll give you a nice complete E core with windings and a plate.
>>
>>903892
How can i properly mount it to the wall
>>
>>903903
I don't know what kind of wall you have. If you need to mount it it flush to the wall then you will have to cuts some holes for it which I assume you can do since you've got some room to hide things behind it already. Probably need to glue it to a stud or glue it to a bracket which you then screw into the stud or brick or what ever your wall is
>>
>>903906
It's more of a hidden room, than a hidden stash.. I will use a mirror with the size slightly larger than a door, to block the doorway.. The mirror will be made with foil and a board
>>
I will probaly attach the electro magnet to the door frame, behind the mirror
>>
File: doorbell transformer.png (148 KB, 300x299) Image search: [Google]
doorbell transformer.png
148 KB, 300x299
>>903903

some transformers have 2 or 4 holes in them for passing bolts, like the one in the pic above, but most dont. so, if you go looking for doorbell transformers, for example, look for the bolts or rivets, like in the pic attached. they're easy to mount using a metal 90-degree bracket.
>>
File: doorbell.jpg (16 KB, 300x299) Image search: [Google]
doorbell.jpg
16 KB, 300x299
i mean the red holes, not the blue ones. coz that outer casing will be removed.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.