[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /diy/. I made a long table which I will use in the garage
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6
File: ricketyfuck.jpg (431 KB, 1456x1212) Image search: [Google]
ricketyfuck.jpg
431 KB, 1456x1212
Hey /diy/.

I made a long table which I will use in the garage for putting oil cans and other stuff on. It's wobbly as fuck, as you might see from my drawing. How would you go about to make it stronger?

Any ideas are very welcome.
>>
>>903548
angled wood support, or if you want to use all that space underneath, shelving brackets from inner side of leg to bottom of table would work. I would also brace the outer angles as well.
>>
>>903548
Brace it like pic related. Blue lines attach to rear legs, red sit in the middle, take your pick.
>>
File: 1447949362404.jpg (223 KB, 1456x1212) Image search: [Google]
1447949362404.jpg
223 KB, 1456x1212
>>903552
> forgetting pic related
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-19-11-20-06.png (74 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-19-11-20-06.png
74 KB, 720x1280
>>903551
>>
>>903555
to add to this, I would also put legs in the middle. I mean if your scale is correct, this table is almost 8 feet. weight in the middle will make the legs wobble, if my non-existant engineering degree has anything to say about it.
>>
File: table fixed.png (221 KB, 774x724) Image search: [Google]
table fixed.png
221 KB, 774x724
Easy way would be to add plywood as shown in red. You might need to add another board to support the top depending on how much stuff you pile on it.
>>
You could put in one or two shelves. Should get rid of your problems while also doubling/tripling your space.
>>
The additional bracing will work
Adding a second shelf will help and add another point to secure the bracing
And it's utilitarian
>>
Structural beams should be put under the main surface to keep it from deflecting inward.

You can make this table with no screws or glue if you make it like this picture which is how I made my bed.
>>
>>904317
>I made my bed
this looks sexy as fuck but isn't it kind of fragile?
i would break off those pins in about a week just through clumsyness.
but very cool none the less.
>>
>>904331
if it is all glued it will be at least as strong as a solid block of wood

so it will be as strong as a normal bed if not stronger
>>
>>904347
yeah i guess so
i move around a lot so all my furniture kind of collapses flat.
still it looks really nice
need to practice my woodwork skills
>>
>>904364
>i move around a lot so all my furniture kind of collapses flat.
>all my furniture collapse flat

i hate to be the guy who say this but, it is not your furniture
>>
>>904366
>all my furniture collapse flat
>it is not your furniture

are you calling him fat?
>>
pizza pie oh my
>>
>>904317
He's using a wider board than he needs to, looks like a 1x8 maybe? so in the pin there's 1x4 still supporting it, plus the inch that's resting on the wood full width before the cut. If you're worried about it, drill across the end of the boards and glue in a dowel, to reinforce and stop the end grain from cracking.
the short legs should help reduce racking forces.
I think it would probably stand up to use pretty well, even without glue. as long as the joint was tight without play.
>>
>>904331
You think it's too fragile a joint for a bed?

The name of that joint is "japanese bed corner joint".
>>
File: IMG_20150916_143356.jpg (3 MB, 3200x2368) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150916_143356.jpg
3 MB, 3200x2368
>>903548
it looks just really poorly designed, doubtful you could really make it sturdy.

just start over with a more thought out design.

or do as i do on the farm and just make some cheap sawhorses and put a 3/4 plywood over them. super sturdy, super cheap and doesn't wobble at all even with a lot of shit on it.
>>
I would make it stronger by making it two tables instead of one big table.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.