[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can anyone help me out with what style of hinge this is using?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: covert art outside2.jpg (687 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
covert art outside2.jpg
687 KB, 2048x1536
Can anyone help me out with what style of hinge this is using? I haven't had any luck finding the one that will sit flush against the wall when closed but opens away from the wall.
>>
>>903345

Holy shit this is a good idea
>>
They are just kitchen cabinet hinges.. You might have luck with soss hinges to
>>
I know they are kitchen cabinet hinges but there are a ridiculous number of different styles. I was hoping someone knew which style they were.
>>
Look up Blum hinges. Blum is the company. There are half-blind, full-blind, etc. It's actually a bit confusing. One sec I'll look it up. I think they're "european hinges"
>>
>>903345
Depending on where you live, storing your gun like this could be illegal. Not because it is hidden, but rather because the gun and the bullets are in the same place, there is no lock on the trigger, and they are not inside a locked cabinet or case.
>>
>>903364
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/m/how-to/intro/0,,20745182,00.html

If the link doesn't work, it's "how to install euro hinges"

I say it's a bit confusing because there are so many different kinds. It all depends on exactly what you want, how much they open up, how much of the side they cover, etc
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 470x163) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 470x163
>>903371
>>
>>903369
Its not illegal where I live
>>
>>903371
>>903369
And it will not be unlocked. I will be installing a magnet lock.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>903369
OP the rest of us live Ina free society
If you make it I hope you post a tutorial.
>>
I actually work at a cabinet shop, so I have the tools and knowledge to install the hinges. I have worked with blum hinges. My biggest problem is I can't find any documentation on the opening path of the hinges to make sure it will open away from the wall then upwards/sideways. My backer board will be .5" my frame which will hold the painted canvas will be made from .75". The hinges that we normally use for cabinets won't work because the frame would catch the wall and stop the frame from opening completely.
>>
You better believe I will be!
>>
>>903345
Blum 170 hinges

and think of the mounting plate as the cabinet door

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeNZoP4oFuQ
>>
>>903384
Thats close but it doesn't open away then out.
>>
>>903384
My bad. You are correct sir. I appreciate it very much!
>>
>>903345
I don't want to discourage you from following your dreams OP, but those kinds of enclosures are rather obvious.
"Ordinary people" think that these things are clever, but--at least in the USA--any cop or professional burglar would see that on a wall, and would immediately suspect that there was something hidden inside.

Anything that encloses a volume of space, and that usually *doesn't*--(like a picture frame, or a shelf),,,, they expect that it's a "secret hiding place".

Even if you build a recessed space in the wall and put a regular picture over it, it can still be obvious.
When people hang pictures in their homes, they tend to get pictures the same sizes, they tend to space them all out roughly the same and they tend to use the same styles of picture frames for all of them. If "one of these things is not like the others" that is the first one cops and (good) burglars will check.....
>>
>>903492
He didnt ask your opinion, he just wanted to know what kind of hinges they were.
>>
>>903516
And he has his answer. OP clearly wants to stash shit, and that guy is offering correct and helpful advice on top. Fuck off.
>>
>>903492
I'm making a series of 5 paintings that will utilize the same frame as the one I will be using the hinged frame on. Just for that specific reason as to make it look it a bit less obvious. Appreciate the input though.
>>
Blum full overlay euro style cabinet hinge
>>
File: tactical-wall-shelves-1.jpg (165 KB, 570x427) Image search: [Google]
tactical-wall-shelves-1.jpg
165 KB, 570x427
>>903633
Now if you want some /diy/ swag points, make a magnetic lock for it where you have to use the same pole of the magnet to "unlock" the frame.

There are commercially produced shelves, pic related. They're kinda ugly and obvious for $300. I think you'd be better off making a credenza or table with a spring loaded top to open up a small armory. Click a switch hidden on the furniture, and SPROING time for fun!
>>
>>903646
This is just one of my first projects. I have been buying solid wood furniture from a second hand store and refinishing them and adding drop down boxes under them. As for the magnetic lock, I am planning on putting one in.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.