[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a fish finder that could alert divers to the possible
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: 2346.jpg (50 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
2346.jpg
50 KB, 300x450
Is there a fish finder that could alert divers to the possible presence of a shark? There has to be something out there that's affordable and would tell divers if there's a large fish around.

Also, if your making a shark suit, what size rings and what kind of metal would work? Larger rings would be easier and quicker to work with.. would copper/bronze/tin work alright? What other options are there besides steel?

And how would one temper the maille? It would basically be made from thick wire... would tempering serve any benefit?
>>
I'll go with steel.

Cooper and tin are too weak.
Bronze will be very heavy and will rust in green.
>>
>>902429
If you want a shark suit, you should buy it.
Firstly because time is money. How long is it going to take you to weld each of those little rings together? I realize this is /diy/, but in this case it's much better idea to pay to have someone else to do it.
Secondly because, do you really want to trust loss of life and/or limb to something homemade?
>>
Just so you know, from personal experience(anecdotal, but whatever), I had a small pit bull that could chew threw aluminum cans(and part of a storm door once) and copper pipe like it was nothing. I would diy something like this for the same reason I wouldn't diy a respirator or fall harness or anything of that nature;it may work very well, but if it doesn't you may find out the hard way.
>>
>>902477
Wouldn't, not would.
>>
Gggggggggggg
>>
Gggggggggg^^
>>
Anything!
>>
>>902430

OP here. I was thinking steel, too.

Most sharks aren't gonna bite full force though, nibble and run mostly. And I've never heard of a full grown great white biting a guy in a shark suit but they'd probably be able to chew your body to a pulp even if the rings were made of adamantium or something.

>>902434

You know how much money they charge for that shit?
>>
>>902429
fish finders are really more like fish guessers, they get a fairly constant rate of echo to the seafloor and any echoes that return before the expected time are shown as probably-a-fish. their big animated lcd screens with different sizes of fish-icon swimming around are the same sort of bullshit as mobile phone signal bars.

shark suits are stainless steel because the sea is fucking salt water, and sharks are biting you.

have you thought about making the sharks go away by asking them really stupid questions?
>>
>>902626
The price of a Neptunic stainless steel suit starts around $20,000 USD. Titanium chain mail is available at a premium cost.

It takes 500,000 rings to make a suit.

>"most sharks aren't gonna bite full force..."
You have never been in the water watching sharks, or helped in a bite rescue.....

The suits aren't guaranteed...
>>
>>902633

That's expensive.

I wonder how big the rings could be while still being effective...

>>902631

You wanna complain about my stupid threads? Go bitch at Edison for taking 20,000 trys to make a lightbulb. I do make a lot of stupid threads...

BUT SO DOES EVERYONE
>>
>>902429
>making a shark suit

Magnets. Sharks hate magnets.
>>
>>902878
Do you want it cheap or do you want to live?

Or you could do it the DIY way and just smack it on the nose if one comes near
>>
>>902942

I want something that will keep a limb from being ripped off... that's about it.

All I'd want is something cheap and quick(not welding half a million rings) to make that would stop the teeth from reaching bone... I wouldn't mind mild penetration if I could get away with using larger rings and thus spending less time laboring.

I'm not exactly planning to go try to stick by thumb up a sharks ass in the middle of a frenzy, but I'd want a little protection in case I get bitten off guard.

Shit that Neptunic makes is not at all what I'd want to make. I'd want as many solid rings as possible to cut down the labor time.. with 4 in 1 weaves you can use one solid ring per 4 cut rings you'd have to rivet or weld, right?

I've seen a few tricks to speed up the process... I'd probably go for rivets. I'd probably make a mix of plate and mail, too, possibly cutting the amount of rings I'd need down by half.

NOBODY KNOWS if tempering would help? It's just wire... It's not exactly known for hardness.

At the three minute mark in the video is a neat trick to speed up getting the rings ready for rivets. Probably common in the craft but amazing wizardry to an ignoramus like myself.
http://youtu.be/C_NdBxcj-OI

My line of thinking is most sharks aren't attracted to mammalian blood... only the kinds that eat seals are, to my reckoning. And if I come across a great white that wants a bite that 20,000 dollar suit wouldn't help much at all, would it?
>>
>>902481
>>902482

What does this mean
>>
>>903241
OP wants to make a shark suit with $500 that works better than a shark suit that costs $20,000.
>>
>>903124
>I want something that will keep a limb from being ripped off... that's about it.

If you've ever watched sharks feeding, they shake side to side violently. Their teeth are serrated, like steak knives, shaking helps the teeth "saw" through. Even if they don't pierce the suit, a 20-100 pound fish will dislocate joints and tear ligaments.

> I'd probably make a mix of plate and mail,.. with 4 in 1 weaves you can use one solid ring per 4 cut rings you'd have to rivet or weld,

Mobility. Range of motion. You still need to be able to swim with the suit on. Like in space neutrally buoyant suits still have inertia to overcome with muscular effort.
>>
> ITT; OP wraps himself in steel, wonders why he sinks to the bottom of the ocean.

Hope you're a very fucking strong swimmer OP.
>>
File: shark-deterrent-wetsuit_h.jpg (103 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
shark-deterrent-wetsuit_h.jpg
103 KB, 800x450
>>902429
Get one of these OP
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 350x350
>>903848
Yes! This!

Conversely, you could print up some t-shirts with "I ️ Sharks" on them. Better yet "Don't Eat Me Bro"!
>>
>>904392

Yeeeeeaaaah don't be a dick about shit you dont understand.

If the suit costs the same or similar, getting one with a sensible pattern on it makes perfectly good sense.

The left suit isn't particularly good in my opinion, but the right one is. Breaking up the silhouette pattern the shark is seeing from below is a good idea.

Sharks attack humans for two reasons. Reason 1 is that they mistake them for something else, reason 2 is curiosity - sharks want to know what something is and only have a mouth to find out.

Even if all you are doing is changing the bite you will receive to a curiosity bite from a mistaken identity bite, then the suit is doing its job. It doesn't sound great - because it isnt - but the difference is that the mistaken identity bite involves the shark striking from below to try to kill and eat you, while the curiosity bite involves the shark swimming up to you, trying to bite you and figuing out if it can kill and eat you afterwards.

It's not much. But then, it's not exactly making a lot of effort to get a patterned suit. Even if all it does is make it 5% more likely you will survive an attack, its just a fucking suit. Why not?
>>
>>904399
It was a joke,FAGGOT!
>>
>>904399

I hear sharks don't like the taste of our blood... which is why usually they taste us and the victim lives.

Are there any documented "maneater" sharks that got a preference for humans?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.