[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any way to DIY these Pur water filter replacement filters?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: 71Vd2i61-oL._SL1500_.jpg (142 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
71Vd2i61-oL._SL1500_.jpg
142 KB, 1500x1500
Is there any way to DIY these Pur water filter replacement filters? Cant I just open up the one i have now and change whatever shit is in it?

I live in an apartment and the water from the faucet tastes like ass but we cant install one of those built-in filters or below-the-sink filtration systems so this is really all we're left with, but these replacement filters cost like $5 each and only last six weeks or so
>>
...$5 over 6 weeks is only 84 cents a week. How is this a problem?
>>
>>902174
Sand. Literally a bucket of sand.
>>
File: 1444631281476.gif (761 KB, 364x240) Image search: [Google]
1444631281476.gif
761 KB, 364x240
>>902189
Don't listen to this anon unless you want to get sick.

Your best bet would be to replace the activated charcoal granules inside with - you guessed it - more activated charcoal granules. If you don't have activated charcoal available to you, you can try powdered regular-charcoal, it's just not going to last as long.
>>
Yeah. Activated carbon, that's all they are
>>
>>902232
Can you link me a specific page? The ones im looking at seem aimed towards fish tanks or litter boxes
>>
File: 1394854843503.gif (1 MB, 500x199) Image search: [Google]
1394854843503.gif
1 MB, 500x199
>>902244
Buy activated charcoal: https://www.google.com/shopping/product/2225778008023186790?sclient=psy-ab&safe=active&biw=1920&bih=1008&q=charcoal+house+activated+charcoal&oq=charcoal+house&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.&bvm=bv.107467506,d.dmo&tch=1&ech=1&psi=1hhJVvP8LMLLevrXiaAH.1447631089520.9&prds=paur:ClkAsKraXz00fuawO7t4IS5yJzjqzlSUrAfEWbv-ExCQ8DxtjOjlsmNM9K2QHnTpl-IY2j6rBSQfgGruOp6Xk5YqxEoeUr-TvYMA3rtXixp6Fv5cKBm6IwgakBIZAFPVH70MqgJVyNzFlg1V93m5cy0hXDUYQg&sa=X&ved=0CKoCEM1KMABqFQoTCLrCpNPOk8kCFQYeHgodst8KMQ

DIY lump charcoal: http://www.instructables.com/id/Making-your-own-charcoal-aka-lump-charcoal/
>>
>>902232
Dont listen to this anon, he doesnt even know about sand water filters and why theyre used globally as the most effective water treatment option from your local sewerage treatment plant to providing drinking water from shit on tye beach india.
>>
>>902374
Putting a half-cup of sand in a pitcher and pouring water over it does not make a filter. Sand filters may be a thing, but doesn't satisfy the OP's needs.
>>
>>902239
No, you idiot.
They also contain ion exchange resin beads (gets rid of heavy metals and a bunch of other nasty shit).
You could replace the beads with diatomaceous earth, I believe.
Both should be food grade.
Now, the cheapest carbon you can get is probably the stuff they use in aquariums, or you could make your own.
The diatomaceous earth regular cat litter (grey, small stones). You won't have much luck minning your own locally, I think, but it might be interesting to find out if there are any deposits near your area.
You can also buy the beads in 25+ liter bags at one to two dollars per kilo from china, if you want to die that way.
>>
>>902405
>>902374
Principly, sand filtration only works when the substrate stays wet.

In a use-case such as a filter jug, the biomass will die whenever you leave it unused for a while.
>>
>>902187
This
>>
Why not get a filter that attached to the end of the faucet?

No fuss. Easy on. Easy off.
>>
>>902590

< One like this
>>
>>902590
>>902591
Because no matter how hard you try, every time you turn on the faucet water sprays everywhere for .00034 seconds.
>>
>>902636
you really sound like a presumptuous bitch.
>>
File: Evasion.jpg (53 KB, 639x480) Image search: [Google]
Evasion.jpg
53 KB, 639x480
>>902657
Not presumptuous, I owned a Brita and a PUR faucet filter, neither sealed when they were connected to the faucet.
>>
These contain a small amount of activated carbon; That's it. You can buy it from the pet shop by the half-gallon for ~$12. Put it in a nylon stocking, rinse out the dust, tie it closed. Drop it in a pitcher of water. You'll have refreshing H20 in no time. That half-gallon of Carbon will last a loooooong time.
>>
>>902661
>>902661

Teflon Tape?
>>
> but these replacement filters cost like $5 each and only last six weeks or so

8.4 cents a day for better tasting water? Man you're getting fucked up the ass .

>2015
>paying more than 6.3 cents a day for clean tasting water
>>
>>902374
>theyre used globally as the most effective water treatment option from your local sewerage treatment plant to providing drinking water from shit on tye beach india.

They're used because they are dirt cheap, not because they are the most effective.

Water treatment plants also chemically treat the water.

OP activated carbon. Aquarium grade is more than good enough. Tropical fish are much more fragile than you. You can also use fish antibotics for a cheap alternative to drugstore antibiotics. They are the exact same thing made on the exact same assembly line put into different bottles.
>>
>>902661
operator error
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.