[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
driving a HDD motor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 8
File: HDD motor.png (1010 KB, 592x665) Image search: [Google]
HDD motor.png
1010 KB, 592x665
So I finaly found a use for an old HDD-Motor I salvaged once. Now I need to actually drive it. Of course I could buy an ESC to do the job, but at that point I could also just buy a propper RC motor.
So I still got the curcuit board of the HDD and found the driver.
Its http://www.littlediode.com/datasheets/pdf/Datasheets-L62/L6232B.PDF
My aproach would be disconnecting the LIN Vref and/or PWM Vref pin/s while leaving everything else connected and inputting my own speed via either voltage or PWM.
Do you see anything obviously wrong with that?
>>
File: table1.png (10 KB, 787x252) Image search: [Google]
table1.png
10 KB, 787x252
Upon closer Inspection it seems like 6 pins are used for commutation and thereby control the speed. Those 6 pins are connected to a WD61C12-WM which seems to do more than just controling the motor speed. Guess I hit a dead end here.
Any easier ways to drive an HDD motor?
>>
>>902044
>The commutation sequence is provided by the user via six inputs
In other words, you would need a microcontroller to cycle the IN pins to make the motor spin.

Something like the following does the commutation sequence automatically:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/drv11873.pdf

There are Chinese boards based on that or similar parts:
- Control by pot: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-12V-DC-Brushless-Motor-Driver-Board-Controller-for-Hard-drive-motor-3-4-wire-/181924211939
- Control by PWM: www.ebay.com/itm/DC-5V-12V-Brushless-Motor-Controller-Motor-Driver-Board-for-Hard-drive-motor-/171823612002
>>
File: chaser_74hc595.jpg (25 KB, 369x337) Image search: [Google]
chaser_74hc595.jpg
25 KB, 369x337
>>902080
>microcontroller
>to cycle pins
>mfw 0.15$ shift register..
>>
>>902595
I might actually do this. I got everything I need around, maybe I'll end up learning something.
>>
Ended up using a 74LS194, 74LS02 and a 555.
Now I have to cut away the drivers inputs and hook them up to this correctly. It should work since they are supposed to be TTL compatible.
>>
File: commutation.png (7 KB, 196x441) Image search: [Google]
commutation.png
7 KB, 196x441
Alright, with the curent setup the motor does turn, but it's verry rough and turning up the frequency only results in desyncing and a complete stop.
I guess I need to commutate it like shown in the pic. How could I achieve this with 7400 series ICs?
>>
>>904043
oh boy oh boy thats a sexy problem anon
i wish i could do it for you but im indisposed
you need a counter rigged to reset after 6
then a truth table. decade or bcd doesn't matter really.
then you make truth table with the outputs from your counter as inputs. make a separate table for a b and c and create a logic equation, use karnaugh maps if necessary. convert logic to gates.
>>
>>904043
Since you don't need any speed...
Rig a decade counter like 74hc4017 or something to reset on count 6 and then just combine the outputs with diodes to form signals A/B/C. For example, A would combine states 0, 1 and 5.
No idea if that bit pattern of yours is correct.
>>
>>904067
>No idea if that bit pattern of yours is correct
Well it makes sense to me. You see anything particular wrong?
>>
>>904219
I wasn't criticizing, I meant it literally.
>>
File: sample stepper.gif (9 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
sample stepper.gif
9 KB, 800x600
>>904043

this problem has been solved many times. plenty of schematics exist already if you google.
>>
>>904225
Your pic doesn't load for me. Would you mind sharing your keywords? I'm not a native speaker so I might have searched for the wrong terms.
Everything I could find was using the simple commutation sequence.
>>
File: sort of works.png (1 MB, 764x636) Image search: [Google]
sort of works.png
1 MB, 764x636
I resorted to throwing an Arduino on it. It won't be permanent anyways.
Slight overlaping of the pulses made it work. Unless its running slow obviously.
Now that I hooked it up to a Microcontroller I might as well try PWMing 3 sine waves. I don't expect to much of it though, I think those motors are designed for block commutation.
>>
File: derpderpderp.png (3 KB, 599x273) Image search: [Google]
derpderpderp.png
3 KB, 599x273
>>904225
>>904243
It loads fine, it's just black text on a transparent background, which makes some browsers blow chunks.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.