[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys I've got a problem with my water heater tripping
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: is.jpg (6 KB, 341x255) Image search: [Google]
is.jpg
6 KB, 341x255
Hey guys I've got a problem with my water heater tripping a breaker in the breaker box. When we first discovered this, we flipped the breaker back and it stayed on, the water heater started running again and after about 20 minutes it kicked the breaker again. At this point it kicks off immediately after flipping it on. Does this sound like a Tstat issue?

Are water heaters something that I should call an electrician or a plumber for? I talked to 2 electricians (who didn't come out), one said it was probably an element going bad while the other suggested a problem in the breaker box itself. I'm not sure where to begin and I have next to zero experience with this sort of thing so I'll definitely have to call someone at some point, though I have family friends who I'll probably call first (cheaper and faster)

Pic somewhat related
>>
>>901831
http://waterheatertimer.org/How-to-test-water-heater-element.html
>>
>>901835
cool thanks
>>
>>901835
"power is off during this test"
does that mean ALL of my power? like I should flip the main breaker in the home?
>>
>>901841
your breakers aren't labeled?
>>
>>901841
oh nevermind no no lol not all your power just power to the water heater. Even if your breaker is labeled it is always smart to test for power on the wires to the element anyways.
>>
>>901846
ok cool my bro has a multimeter

>>901844
haha well the one for the waterheater only is off
>>
the wiring in something could be touching and blowing it
>>
>>901852
nice. Sounds like there are a number of possible problems. My first instinct was the thermostat being as it actually ran for a little bit before flipping off, then it wouldn't stay "on" after that
>>
>>901853
appliance repair fag here,

we don't work on water heaters, but I'd suspect the thermostat is ok.... thermostats on these kind of things are basically just a temperature driven on/off switch, it doesn't vary the amount of power it lets through, just either turns it on, or off....

check the element, then check the breaker... also if you have a clamp on amp meter you can take the ampdraw of the unit.... if the ampdraw spikes up to within 80% of what the breaker is rated at (labeled on the breaker) and then the breaker blows.. then the breaker is probably not the problem... if the ampdraw stays below 80% and the breaker still blows then something is wrong in the breaker and it needs replaced.....
>>
>>901831
Been there done that
Learn how to drain the water heater
Remove the bottom element
Most of the time it's the bottom one that fails,
Simple bolt in application
Profit,
But check the top one too.
>>
>>901916
this guy gets it... check continuity, replace bad element. problem solved.
>>
>>901872
>>901916
awesome. ty guys!
>>
>>901950

If you are going to have the tank drained to replace an element, consider replacing the sacrificial anode as well.
>>
>>901872

Seconded, I'd only add "visually inspect the elements for signs of water leakage".

I've dealt with a few where the elements were leaking through the block and packing and had corroded then shorted the terminals.
>>
>>901958

This.
>>
File: 1303441498247.jpg (45 KB, 356x251) Image search: [Google]
1303441498247.jpg
45 KB, 356x251
>>901872
this guy gets it.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.