[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This isn't necessarily /diy/, but what are some good ways
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Dust_bunnies.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
Dust_bunnies.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1944
This isn't necessarily /diy/, but what are some good ways to cut back on dust in my house? I've tried air purifiers, cleaning more often, etc., but nothing seems to help.
>>
>>901745
Cheap you seals. Have someone come and do some kind of pressure test, I forget what its called. It will tell you if your house has air leaking in. Find where the leaks are and seal that shit up.
>>
>>901745
A fish tank
A water fountain
Plants
Less fabric furniture.
no smoking.
>>
>>901745
>cleaning more often
This gives us no frame of reference. My 11 year old nephew I take care of started cleaning his bedroom more frequently this year. He cleaned it once, up from zero.

Vacuum carpets at least once a week with a hepa filtered vacuum.

Vacuum and launder soft durfaces once a week. Couch, linens, drapes, etc.

Hard surfaces should be wiped down 2-3 times a week.

It will take a month or two to see an improvement. It also doesnt hurt to open the windows on cool fall days to get clean air going through.

Beyond that, plants, plants,plants!

Plants are excellent air purifiers. You should have about 1 plant for every 100 square feet in your home. You want easy to care for plants. Spider, snake, ivies, philodendrons, pothos, aloe vera, palms and ferns are all excellent choices.

The first and best bennefit to indoor plants is humidity balancing. They put moisture into air during dry spells and even reduce humidity when it gets too high. They remove VOCs and ozone from the air along with other gasses, and they turn co2 into nice refreshing o2.

My pride and joy is a 20 year old philodendron I clipped from its mother plant at a chinese restaurant when I was 14. Theres about 30 vines that wrap around my living room and drape down between the hooks. They all originate from my 500 gallon fish tank.
>>
>>901812
Oh, forgot. Change your air filter on the furnace/ac twice a year. Get in the habit of doing it when the clocks change for daylight savings
>>
>>901745
Dusting
>>
>>901812
>They all originate from my 500 gallon fish tank

- any Pics, anon?

notOP, just was looking to sell/ditch a collection of fishtanks (loft clearing) - maybe, planters better idea, never thought of it till now..
>>
>>901745
Stop using textiles, shave off all your hair.
>>
>>901860
No pictures.

I had my little cutting from the chinese joint but no potting soil so I stuck it in my little goldfish aquarium's filter rack. The laziness of a 13 year old me left it there.

As it got longer I would take cuttings from it and root them in the tank. As I got more and larger tanks its just kept growing.

Its amazing how well they filter the water. My nitrates in all my tanks barely register, and nitrites are undetecatable. Water is crystal clear. All I ever add is distilled water to the tanks.

Fish tanks are great at helping to humidify a room. The plants love the nitrogen and minerals in the water. Plus fishies are just plain cool.
>>
>>901745
Have you tried practising patriotism? The bunnys dust becomes yours
>>
Stop living in the desert. :^)
>>
>>901972
But fish are dirty and tanks need to be cleaned which can be a hassle.
>>
>>903344

thats because most people dont put nearly enough plants in their fish tank.

people who run aquaponics have all kinds of shit in their system, like dirt and worms, yet it doesnt really get dirty.

if you have like 10x the biomass in plants as you do fish it stays pretty clean
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.