[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I would like to make a security system that can notify me remotely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
I would like to make a security system that can notify me remotely that a motion sensor has gone off.

Is that possible? I want them for the primitor of my property outdoors.
>>
How would you like the system communicate? Wifi, cell, radio, land line, etc?
>>
>>901624
I have Wi-Fi at home but am not always on Wi-Fi at work. But I have a 4G LTE phone. Can that work? What about radio? How far in miles can they work? I work about 15 miles from my house
>>
>>901625
I meant for the security system itself. It needs a way to dial out to you. If where ever it is going to be placed is within range of wifi then that would be the best and cheapest option. Next best would be using a land line or a cell network for connectivity but they both have monthly costs. You would only roll a custom radio solution if you're so far out in the sticks that there is no land line or cellular options.
>>
>>901622
gsm module with pre-paid sim card
>>
>>901627
>>901630
4G LTE texting would be faster, easier and free. I'm certain somebody has coded an arduino to text them already.

I would say buying a few outdoor lights, then using the 120v when the lights come on as your trigger would be the way to go.
>>
bumping for interest
>>
>>901646
Just fuck off.
>>
>>901646
Yeah fuck off

Just buy a commercial off the shelf product
>>
>>901624
>Read it as land mine.
>>
>>901622
Something like this I would not make myself unless I was already producing them for business. It's like making your own fire detectors, why risk it?
>>
>>901622
Paradox.ca
Buy a SP4000 with a sensor (DG65)
You can attach a landline to it, or you can attach a GSM module or a GPRS module (so it can notify you via internet).

If you want a cheap-o solution, purchase any PIR sensor, get a shitty old phone that you can control via AT commands (COM port) and wire all that up to an Arduino.
>>
There's a bunch of stuff for doing this with a Raspberry Pi. Nice poor-man's solution. I use Motion Pie and it sends me notices over SMS when it detects motion using the camera, with a snapshot. A single Pi can support up to three cameras (1 CSI and 2 USB), so you can point them in different directions.
>>
ESP8266 + PIR, cheapest solution could be as low as around 5 euros per unit to make it work if there is a wifi to connect them to just for motion sensor stuff.
>>
Use a microcontroller with a SIM module?
>>
Have you considered a car alarm?
Viper makes one that will call your phone when triggered. Pinswitches can be used on doors. And if anyone breaks in it will be really annoying
>>
What are the thoughts on a z-wave system? I have been thinking and pricing a home system using z-wave for some time. I got a mi casa that current only does a couple little things and the thermostat
>>
>>901625
Arduino nano clone and esp8226 and pri sensor maybe some type of 3.3v and 5v power circuit and old cell phone charger. get all off ebay pretty cheap.
>>
>people suggesting arduino
lol

this is for home security, not a blinky cat toy
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.